The "Review my Campaign" thread

Comments

• Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots

Oops, didn't finish... THANK YOU, btw!

• Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots

Now that I am experimenting with opacity to make the white writing pop more, I have noticed something and I am unsure where else to post this question so I will pop it here and if advised move it to a more appropriate thread.

is there a way to change the color of the Quick Description? I tried to set it to white but I get an error when I enter the code to do so. It has to do with changing anything that has "script" in in somewhere. 

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

Hi all!

I am looking for some feedback on my campaign: https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com

It is a Forgotten Realms campaign in the current published era (1488 DR) and a plague is sweeping the land (yes, we started this because fo the COVID lockdown). It's a grim but humourous heroic romp, and the party has just recently landed in Maztica to find the cure. (I'm using the 5e Maztica campaign guide found on DMSguild.com). We are 13 episodes in and are on the cusp of reaching level 5.

I have no CSS skills :( and only paltry MS Paint skills to customize pictures stolen form the web. Also some players make their own player art for the game which I am so grateful for.

Things I am looking for feedback for:

The story/writing: is the story engaging, fun to read? Is the plot generic or unique?

The page layout: is it intuitive? How can it improve?

The page content: what is missing? what can make the players come back for more?

Thank you very much!

Frak

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Hey, great campaign, @Frak_Lou_Elmo ! You're a really good writer and the layout is very easy to navigate. I love having artwork to break up text, too.

I think my favorite page was this one: https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/poisons It's a great example of an engaging layout that delivers a lot of information without a wall of text.

If you're trying to get Player engagement (we all are, to be honest), you might try something like a "Quote of the Game." You could make a note of memorable quotes during the game, then list them at the end of each Adventure Log and ask the Players to vote in the comments. It sounds like you have a pretty good group of roleplayers, so they hopefully generate good material. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing!

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

Thanks Jynx! this makes me wish a wrote down some quotes for previous sessions! I did manage to put some funny ones in the adventure logs here and there. The voting puts my in mind of our end of game discussion, I stole this idea from Masks, where people discuss whether they get inspiration from roleplay (also seen in other systems too).  I might try something like you suggest. 

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

You're welcome! End of game discussion is a good idea, too.

• DerkG
    DerkG

I'm preparing to reboot my Pendragon campaign, https://knights-of-the-realm-1.obsidianportal.com/

Since I'll be doing some updates to include features that were preciously unavailable (e.g. accordions) and possibly be including some PBP aspects as well, it seems a good time to ask for feedback and suggestions.

So please, let me know what you think. Probably will be a month or two for the ball to start rolling again ;)

GM: https://knights-of-the-realm-1.obsidianportal.com/ - a Greater Pendragon Campaign

GM: https://sagaofthenorth..obsidianportal.com/ - a Dungeon World Campaign

Player/Scribe: https://thepriceofimmortality.obsidianportal.com/ - a Pathfinder Campaign

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Hope that the new logs will add pictures.

Hope that you will add a heavier typface- the font is a bit of a challenge, but with a CSS weight to it should help quite a bit.

I really like this campaign- good bones.

Just trying to help out.

• DerkG
    DerkG

Thanks for the feedback!  I do have a few questions to make the most of it.

• Font: Are you talking about the landing page (which is more of a stylistic choice, I do realize that is not the best for legibility), or the other pages? If the latter, what resolution are you using so that I can recreate your experience? [edit: I've changed to a heavier weight for the standard paragraphs. Not entirely sure I like it, what do you think?]

• Pictures: I just realized the very latest log does not have any pictures yet, and it likely is the one people are most likely to look at. Oops. Is your comment specific to that one, or on the logs/wiki in general? I'm searching for a balance between pictures and content, and if I am missing that mark that is good to know.

It has been a fun campaign to run, and I'm looking forward to picking it up again. My players have been a real blessing with the way they've leaned into their characters :)

Post edited by DerkG on

GM: https://knights-of-the-realm-1.obsidianportal.com/ - a Greater Pendragon Campaign

Player/Scribe: https://thepriceofimmortality.obsidianportal.com/ - a Pathfinder Campaign

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

holy crap @DerkG it already looks amazing! the pinned note on the front page slightly askew with links in it? the adventure logs look like real written logs. wow

i have a hard time thinking of improvements, but here are some:

in the codes, you can put the history and lands as accordions, 

the cultures and religion pictures inthe codex are beautiful ,but they need to be bigger, like WAY bigger, 200% for each one. you can put culture and an accordion and then when it click you see the 4 pictures. they give so much flavour it is a shame not to seethem clearly.

there are lots of locations in the adnveture log, but it is hard to find in the codes (i couldn find sarum just by going tothe isles page for example. a seperate body in the table of contents on the left "Locations" could be cool to pool all your location wiki pages. if you are very daring, with a map.

this is amazing, keep it up

• DerkG
    DerkG

Thank you Frank, glad you liked it!

Regarding the button images, I agree. I want to parse down the amount of stuff on the main wiki pages to primarily large buttons. There is still too much text. Also the buttons right now have the text added in the image. I want to switch over to the solution I used in a later wiki, where I rendered the button text from the actual wiki link. (https://thepriceofimmortality.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page) I did not have the CSS-fu to do this when I first started the Pendragon campaign.

On locations: Yes, I agree it is much needed, and with the new map features I think I can do it. Still a pain to compose as the books use different names for the same place etc - but that is an overall issue I have to deal with, and all the more reason to make those maps.

Also I spent some time, tonight, working on the adventure journal index page. I now found a way to (1) add an image to each journal and (2) to have custom summary text show up rather than the first random lines from the journal itself. Now I just need to add summaries to approx 25 more adventure logs ;)

And @GamingMetaverse, I do like the heavier font-weight better, now that I am used to it. Thanks!

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

Hey all,

Looking for some feedback on my campaign. We're starting tonight playing a new Pathfinder 2e game after finishing our years long 1e game. I have totally stolen a few things from folks here for style inspiration and am hoping to come up with some other interesting features but am happy to listen to all critiques. At the moment my most current fiddly bit is working out a solution to readability on my BG.

Anyways, have at it and let me know what you think.

https://haas.obsidianportal.com/

FYI, the images in the table on the home page are placeholders until I can find something more in line with the overall theme.

Thanks,

Nua

• gastoff
    gastoff

@nuadaria I mentioned in a different thread how I love the animated background and the 8-bit themed elements. I think if you carried that theme throughout all the other graphics it would help make the campaign even more unique. I would suggest moving the 6 links you have on your home page over to the wiki page. This would keep the landing page condensed to show off the background.

If it is in line with the style you are going for, utilizing a DST for the PCs is a nice touch. Expanding the NPC descriptions as the campaign unfurls would be a must since the characters page is a bit sparse.

Other than that, just making sure that you and your group do plenty of adventure logs after the sessions! 

• gastoff
    gastoff

@nuadaria Oh, and maybe finding an 8-bit style font? Though that might run into legibility issues...it would probably be something that has to be tweaked over time to get it where you want thematically.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@gastoff All great points. As for DSTs we won't be using those as we are already using a character building app and using sheets in roll20 to play with. I like the fact that they exist, but my players will never update them in 3 places :( I like the font idea and will have to do some digging in that regard. I am presently looking for more pixel art and do like it's overall style for the campaign. As for volume of characters and corresponding info, the flood gates are about to open on that. I have sooo much stuff in GM only just waiting for this first session tonight!

Thanks for the feedback!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

To build off of what @gastoff said- which I agree with, the only thing I would add is change your link color- it is hard to read on the parchment.

You have a great start, and a great campaign name.

Just trying to help out.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@gamingMegaverse I totally agree and in fact have been rapidly iterating through various color palates (still haven't found one I like) for the moment though, I am going with underlining the links to help highlight them. I'm mostly a backend dev so color theming is certainly not my strong point so I have as per my usual, brought in help in that department from one of my players.

tldr this site is probably going to change regularly for a while

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

@nuadaria I think this is amazing art. besides an 8-bit font, I want to have a midi song playing in the background to really take me back to 1994

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@Frak_Lou_Elmo I am torn, the nostalgia half of my brain wants some Secret of Mana track to to play, but the developer side of my brain tells me music on websites was bad and we should do our best to forget it. Maybe if it was off by default I could satisfy both parts at the same time. That said, thanks for the idea of what the hell to do with the main page. I really like the grid of picture based links.

• gastoff
    gastoff

I wonder how hard it woud be to imbed a soundwave track and have it float at the footer of the page that is off by default. Visitors can push play if they wish to dive into the mid-90s, or leave it off if they get annoyed by midi music.

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@gastoff The <audio> tag does not seem to work.

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Hey choombas. So I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Cyberpunk Red hardcopy in the next few days and I am trying to convince my group to try it out. As an incentive I made a new Cyberpunk Red Night City OP site which you can see here. I tried to make it look and feel like the art direction from the rule book.  Any advice or ideas for improvement are most welcome chummers.  

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• nuadaria
    nuadaria

@HumAnnoyd This is great looking and super on point aesthetically! The 'glicthy' header image is amazing!

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Thanks @nuadaria! I had fun making it in After Effects. Although getting it to small enough in file size to work on OP with the animated BG wasn't easy.  

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• Kallak
    Kallak

The site looks to be off to a fantastic start. The book-based aesthetic really comes across nicely, and the art (and effects) that are there presently are amazing. Two 'issues' for me (and I use that term liberally here, they're very minor): firstly, it took loading the page twice to get the background image to show for me (presumably cache will help greatly in this regard), and second - I noticed some left/right shifting on the character name on the listing page related to the hover and/or scaling. Assuming that's not intentional, that should be an easy fix.

Can't wait to see more.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Jynx001
    Jynx001

So good, @HumAnnoyd ! I can't get enough of the animated backgrounds and banners. Next level stuff. And the red-on-black text is really sharp with the red-tinted background. Nice, clean font for the regular text, too. Excellent!

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

@Kallak Thanks for the kind words. 

I admit I was worried that it would take too long to load the animations. I am sorry to hear that at least some of my fears were well founded.  There is no way to reduce the size of the animations without it looking terrible so I will just have to hope it isn't too big of a barrier to the site.  

As for the shift on the characters it was a total mistake (and I am am currently not sure how to fix it) but it struck me as kind of like the text was glitching as the titles do.  I will just go with that for now (at least until I can figure it out). :D

@Jynx001 Thank you!.  I am happy the text shows up. I did a TON of playing around with the color of the background and it does my heart good that the text stands out.  Font choices for a game like this are important and I am glad to hear it works well for the site.  

Post edited by HumAnnoyd on

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

You continue to amaze @HumAnnoyd  Great start.  Really unique!

Just trying to help out.

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Thank you @GamingMegaverse

And thank you for the Fave!  I think I may have talked my table into playing the game. I am making characters with one of them in the next day or so and the others will hopefully follow suit.  HUZZAH!

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

This is my newest Campaign I'm working on, currently gonna eb a 5th Ed AD&D homebrew but considering switching to Spycraft instead to make my life easier. It's based on XCOM 2 mostly, with some XCOM1 thrown in for fun

https://xcomresistance.obsidianportal.com/