Best Way to do Character Portraits

Comments

• Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Yay! That's so awesome.. *happy dance*

and I was serious about the commision thing on DeviantART you'd get quite popular I think since you can bust out sketches with simple descriptions and make them look badass.. however I won't mention it again.. peer pressure and all that..

I'll have to stash all these pictures away on my junkdrive so I can color them when I have time..
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The thing is, I am on deviantart, and I've tried that before. There is simply too much competition that is far, far superior.

If you find me a paying gig, I'll give you a finder's fee.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    lol that's crazy though, you're way better then half the people out there asking for commisions and charging a ridiculous amount of money for it.. ugh.. life is unfair.. though by promoting you through the podcast we might be able to tempt people into paying you some money for drawings.. after all when they recieve there awesome prizes they'll show there friends :D

Meh, I'm happy enough to help really, I know how it feels, I'd love to get paid to write but that probably won't happen for awhile if ever :P I'm still a novice at it..

and I actually planned on commissioning you to do some monster sketches for my bleach campaign if I can get some cash together for it.. because I want illustrations for them and well.. there are LOADS of the little bastards lol.. as of right now though I'm not sure how many I'll need or what exactly I want I'll have to get back to you on that..
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Color me impressed, and also, apparently, extremely tardy. (Unfortunately for me, today's already kicked off to a bad start, and it's only 8:50 - I apologize in advance if I'm not my usual jovial self.) There's much most excellent talent in these forums. I'm of no doubt that if the world needed to be conquered, one post on here would get enough awesomely talented people on-board to make it happen! (Barring some sort of usual shenanigansy thread derailment - actually, that's probably how the Post would start... perhaps someone wondering if the Textile editor came in purple... then Serious Shenanigans would ensue, in the absolute best way possible.)
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Dusk, he's actually quite short. 4'8". And yeah I was just thinking since so many people liked to draw on here, and I can't draw all that well, I'd ask about other people's opinions.

Actually I can draw passable pictures, but I have no tablet so most of mine are hardcopy sketches in character folders and I'm too lazy to scan stuff in.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I guess it's lucky for me I drew him in as height-neutral a pose as I could muster.

"I would, of possible, like your thoughts on the drawing, Jim.":http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20192/Recon.jpg

I would like to get something going for Gaaran's Scarlet Rogues, but I don't like moving on from one project until I know I'm done with another.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I think it's great looking and you're quite talented.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Ok, I am going to the movies. Double feature night: Scott Pilgrim and Inception.

When I return, I shall get to work on the Crimson Rogues.

Jim, did you want me to color the Recon pic?
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Scarlet Rogues :P And if I have to wait for you to see those two movie, that's totally fine, cause they are awesome! You shant be disappointed :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Right, the Rouge Rogues. Got it.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    I want to see scott pilgrim Vs. the world.. it looks so cool >.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Haha, touche!
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    It twas! It twas!

(Tried to think of some way to incorporate Maroon and fails)
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    If you want to Duskreign, Entirely up to you.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Another option is to get into designing and selling paper miniatures, Duskreign. I often frequent the Onemonk forums, and many of those guys have shops on RPGnow and elsewhere-
    http://onemonk.proboards.com
    Post edited by Curufea on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaaran, I have a wicked headache and Wyrmshadow: War is Hell session 22 is tomorrow, so I think I want to prepare the game room for the battle and call it an earlier night than usual. I have sketched your rogues, but not well enough to post yet. I'll have something up tomorrow, I hope.

Also, I am going to color Recon.

Curufea, do you know if they have any success in that business? Have any advice on how I might get my foot in the door? I would love to make a career from my gaming skills.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    They talk about it on their forums. One Monk himself though has gone back to making free paper miniatures.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaaran, I didn't get any time tonight to work on these. "Here's my preliminary sketch,":http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20378/Scarlet_Rogues.jpg just to prove I started it at least.

Keough on the left, Spades on the right. I ran Wyrmshadow tonight and the session ran very late, otherwise I would have been able to get these done tonight no problem.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    I like them, they look nifty.. I can't remember a time when a session I played ran late.. because the basic thought for my players are 'who needs sleep?' o.O
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hey dusk, those are looking fantastic! you capture them quite well. I look forward to seeing the finished product!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaaran, sorry for the delay. Between work, school, and running two games, this weekend was pretty hectic.

"Anyway, the Scarlet Rogues are complete (unless you want anything altered).":http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20573/Scarlet_Rogues.jpg

JimTriche, "I did some colors for Recon, too.":http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20582/Recon2.jpg
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I love the reflection in the visor, Dusk! Very nice touch!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I rushed Recon. I'm not that pleased with the results, honestly, but I've fallen behind on my list of "Things Duskreign Said He Would Do."

I'm going to take a stab at coloring him again, as well as Gaaran's rogues.

I got another request via private message from OP user Uruzrune. It's going to be of a female tiefling shadow-assassin from a Darksun campaign.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Female tieflings are tough cookies. Just make sure "Things Duskreign Said He Would Do" comes after "Things Duskreign Needs To Do" - I made that mistake once or twice, and it became "Rase is extremely hungry, and He isn't sure wh--oh wait, did I forget to eat for two days?"
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Rase, I did fairly recently draw a female tiefling. "She is my wife's character, a soulblade named T'Saira.":http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/095/a/c/Female_Tiefling_Psiblade_by_Duskreign.jpg
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    It's very neat to see someone else's take on your character. You have them in your head, but you aren't sure what goes on there when you describe them to others. I made a couple drawings, if I can find them I'll scan or photo them and upload them in this thread sometime.

You know what it's like?

Ninja Turtles. The old ones were amazingly simple line art, and there were so many interpretations and styles. The "realistic" art being the most deviant in that mashup, also being my favorite. And the commercial quick art styles from the various cartoon series and the movies. You see it now with fan art for anime and other stuff now, some of that art I find very interesting.

If I had my way I'd like to see two or three different takes on a few of these characters. I just love this stuff. Also, the visor reflection is bitchin'.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaaran, I colored the Scarlet Rogues. I hope you're ok with that. I guessed on things like hair and eye color. If needed, I can change anything still.

Oh, "here they are.":http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/20686/Scarlet_Rogues.jpg

JimTriche, it can be very difficult to draw a person based solely upon a sparse physical description. I can get the helmet and the jeans, but the attitude could be completely off. I agree, it is fascinating to see how a few words can be interpreted artistically in vastly different ways depending on the artist.

If, for example, someone was to tell me: Draw my character. She's blonde and has a big back tattoo of a tribal dragon. She wears a red leather corset and samurai pants.

I could draw her and incorporate every one of the features that were mentioned, but it could be completely "wrong" in the eyes of the person who asked for the character art.

Same person: She is someone who enjoys inflicting pain. She has a cold stare, and she takes killing very seriously; she is both ruthless and thorough.

No physical attributes mentioned at all, there, but I might get much closer to what the person was hoping to see.

The thing is, I am not anywhere NEAR a good enough artist to draw a character based solely on one or the other. When I am drawing a character for one of my friends, I ask them what the character's nationality is, then whether he prefers horror flicks or comedies. The combination, for me, is the key.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Dusk - that T'saira is _definately_ a tough cookie - I wouldn't want to mess with a soulblade on a good day, nevermind one that's plane-touched.

I love the Scarlet on the Rouges, and the textures. I think Spades is my favorite - not because Keough looks inferior, but there's something about the joyous personality that speaks to me.

As someone whose artistic ability rests with image manipulation and prose, most days (I want to pick up drawing again, but it's hard to find the inspiration/time), I have to make to with rather ornate descriptions of my characters - my namesake, for example, originally had a very simple description, as he was just a soldier in a war he didn't want to fight. Were I to describe him now? His description would probably be lovingly crafted, so as not to encompass just the physical aspects of his character, but to take into account the harrowing, depressing, and joyous journey he has been on. (Note to self: Attempt to write character description today while it's still fresh in my mind).

I think it's because the personality speaks better than "Red Hair, Freckles, big Wart on Nose. Also machinegun."
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hey Dusk, just wanted to thank you for the drawing, they look pretty great, you did a good job capturing them both! I was out of town for a few days, I wasn't ignoring you :). Thanks a bunch, they look great.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Thanks, Gaarany, old buddy! Rase? Whatchoo want drawn?