The "Review my Campaign" thread

Comments

• username
    username

Thanks, we've been at it for a while. I've had a ton of fun with it. 

• Bortas
    Bortas

So after completion of my first Morwindl campaign, the same group of friends wanted to play again, and in the same world. So... here I am running Morwindl season 2 (book 2?) on the same OP site. I've rebuilt the look from the original, trying to capture a high-tech usage, with an ancient tech feeling. Sadly, as per my norm, I'm behind in keeping content current, having focused so hard on overall style.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could take a peek, and tell me what isn't stylistically consistent, so I can improve it! And hey, if you like it, consider a heart! Thanks,

-bort

Post edited by Bortas on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Bumping this thread for better visibility, since Campaign of the Month is back. And Bort, I'm loving the new campaign look!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Bortas
    Bortas

Thanks, UTM, I appreciate that. Behind on content, as per the norm :-(

-bort

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I'm gonna bump this thread again, mostly because there are a few campaigns out there that I'd really like to suggest some constructive critiques for but I don't want to be that intrusive, snooty douchebag. ;)

If you're interested in feedback from the community, we're always willing to provide (mostly) good advice!

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Shawn_Campbell
    Shawn_Campbell

This is my first attempt. I've studied a lot from many of you. I put acknowledgements in my CSS to where I found bits of code or learned something.

@ChainsawXIV@Bortas@Johnprime@Evrat... but I've looked at so many, I really owe a lot of thanks to the whole community. I've never done CSS before, just know some bare-bones html. So, you have all been wonderful teachers. Learning to inspect my own code and changing things helped a lot with figuring things out. You'll all have a space on my acknowledgments page... when I make one.

The campaign itself is still in its infancy and I am behind several sessions on adventure logs. (Good think I have a memory like a steel trap, because some of the logs go back to July... a rusty steel trap. God help me!)

So, please have a look and tell me what you think! I look forward to your feedback, suggestions, construction criticism, etc...  

Thanks,

https://theseventhbrother.obsidianportal.com/

p.s. I also got roped into running a second campaign, so just put together a second one today. It's not as fancy, I mainly just pulled a few sets of code from the first campaign. My next step is I want to add a parchment/scroll effect like @Bortas@Thorvaldr, and @Johnprime have.

https://curseofstrahd-279.obsidianportal.com/

Post edited by Shawn_Campbell on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

The Seventh Brother looks great, Shawn. I'm really digging your blaster-scorched background, and I like the navigation buttons across the top of the page.

As a bit of constructive criticism, I'd recommend organizing your wiki main page into broad categories. (Planets, Regions, Races, etc.) As your wiki grows, you and your players will have a much easier time navigating the site if you put in that effort up front.

And that's really the only suggestions I can come up with. Nicely done!

• Shawn_Campbell
    Shawn_Campbell

UTM, That's a great suggestion, thanks! 

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Shawn_Campbell, don't remember if I've said this or if someone else has mentioned it, but one really great way to test CSS is to use a browser like Firefox. Yes, you can do this with other browsers, but I find Firefox to be the easiest I've used.

Anyway, display the page in the browser, right click on the element you want to look at and go down the the inspect element menu option. Left click that and it will bring up the inspection window. In that window you should be able to see the HTML and CSS for the page, but focused on that element. The CSS window is normally to the right of the HTML window.

One of the neat thinks with Firefox, is that you can actually edit the CSS and HTML. For the CSS at the top of that inspection window on the right is a tag called element, with an opening curly bracket { and on a new line a closing curly bracket }. If you click the mouse to the right of the opening bracket, the browser will place a cursor in that section. There you can actually add CSS tags and values and it will update the CSS on the page accordingly.

This is quite often how I test different ideas I have for CSS. Just make sure you remember what you've placed there and edit your code when you have got what you want!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• cgregory
    cgregory

@Shawn_Campbell one suggestion that might help you keep up with adventure logs and such is to offer any player that writes up an adventure log from the point of view of their character an extra xp.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

OK. I loved the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 just as much as you guys.  I ran a 7 year Cyberpunk 2020 game back in the 90s and it had been my all time favorite campaign until our current Dresden game.  The Trailer inspired me to reread some of my old CP2020 books and that, in turn got the juices flowing for all things dark and cyberpunk.  I created a OP site to hold some of my ideas about rules changes and to hopefully inspire my group into playing a pick up game at some point.  Any ideas to make this site better would be much appreciated.  

https://cyberpunk2077nightcity.obsidianportal.com/wikis/home-page

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

DAMN that's a pretty site. You make me want to play in your game, HumAnnoyd.

I don't even have any constructive criticisms to offer, man. Very nicely done!

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Thank you UselessTriviaMan.  I appreciate the kind words. Now if I can just entice my group to start a campaign.

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• Bortas
    Bortas

Wow, that site is amazing. It inspires me to want to play that system.

-bort

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

Thanks, Bortas.  Me too!  I am hoping I can convince my group to do so someday soon.  I am still trying to decide on what rules changes I am going to go with.  Interlock is a great system but it has its flaws.  

• JimaRoss
    JimaRoss

Not without errors of course. But in general, I like your design.

• DruidicFireball
    DruidicFireball

I've GM'd and played several campaigns out of Obsidian Portal but have decided to actually take advantage of the Ascendant Membership for my latest one and use some of the other features. Just looking for feedback like everyone else.

https://tazbalance.obsidianportal.com/

Post edited by DruidicFireball on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

You're off to a good start, @DruidicFireball!

Looking through your wiki, I wanted to ask - are you using Textile or CkEditor in your campaign? I'm seeing a few places in the Town of Phandelin page where you put <u></u> for underlining, but in Textile you can do that with a simple underscore _ in place of the <>'s.

Also, in the Redbrands page, there's a link that looks like it has correct syntax but it's nonfunctioning. This makes me wonder if you're using CkEditor. If so, I highly recommend going into your campaign settings tab and switching your editor to Textile.

Other than that, I'll just repeat that I like what you've got so far and keep up the good work! :-)

-UTM

• DruidicFireball
    DruidicFireball

Thank you so much for the feedback @UselessTriviaMan! It was pretty helpful actually.

I was using CkEditor and was always confused why those '<>'s would hang after saving since I wasn't typing those into the text but using the commands in the text editor. So thank you very much! I wont have that issue anymore! I'm going to go through my Wiki and Adventure Logs and make sure that gets cleaned up.

The Redbrands page was actually largely unfinished. They were meant to be bigger villains earlier in the campaign than they ended up becoming as the party decided they weren't as big a threat as they are. They'll soon learn :D But since you pointed that out I fixed that character link, the slug had a typo.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback!

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I've been on OP for awhile, and have always found it useful. Now I'm running 2 campaigns, soon to be 3, so I decided to get Ascendant to be able to manage them a little easier. One has been on sibatical for a bit, but I'm getting it updated to start running again. I've been playing with my campaigns a lot lately (shout out to all the HUGE help on the CSS forum!), and would really appreciate any feedback- thanks!

https://thecoldtruce.obsidianportal.com (Currently Running)

https://starbreaker.obsidianportal.com (Updating and starting up again)

https://thebonesofpalor.obsidianportal.com (Starting up in the next month)

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Heya @conan_lybarian, you've got three good-looking campaign sites there! I do have a couple of constructive criticisms that would make them even better, I think:

The Cold Truce: This campaign looks really good, but I noticed that it's hard to spot the links on your pages because of the font and color choices for your normal text and links. It's not a huge thing, but you might want to go with something a bit more noticeable for the link color.

Star Breaker: You don't have that problem on this site, however. The white text and blue links pop very well against the near-black background. And your main page for this campaign is flat-out gorgeous. That said, the Cargo (Items) section doesn't have that dark background and the gray text is hard to read against the white background there. And you might want to change the font color for the page titles - the gray text (like this) is pretty hard to read.

The Bones of Palor: I really like the premise you have on your main page, but that block of all-caps text is kinda tough to read.

For all three sites, I would also suggest that you might want to add some kind of organization to your wiki main pages. The wikis aren't too big yet, but if you're planning to add much more content your players will appreciate being able to easily navigate the site.

Great job on your campaign sites!

-UTM

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

@UslessTriviaMan- Thanks for the feedback! A couple things. You're totally right that I need to organize the Wikis. It's on my to do list once I get Starbreaker updated. As for the Items, I've been looking for the code to be able to do that for *all* my campaigns. I managed to get it right for characters but, if you know a one piece code instead of a separate one for every character that would be awesome.

*COLD TRUCE*: I've been playing with color schemes that fit the campaign *and* are good contrasting texts, so I'll keep on that.

*STARBREAKER*: I'm not sure how to change those font colors. Any tips?

*BONES OF PALOR*: I was thinking the font is a little wonky. I wanted a stylized text to fit the pulp monster/evil feel of the campaign. I'll find something a little more legible.

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

• Pytheas
    Pytheas

I would love some feedback on my Dragon Age campaign: https://intothegatheringdark.obsidianportal.com/.

It might help motivate me to get some more work on the site done and focus efforts where they are needed.

Journeys of the Lost Campaign

• Bortas
    Bortas

Man, I really love that world, and you've done a lot of work pulling graphics and adding content.

One of my favorite campaigns on this site is a Dragon Age campaign; Alex's work is top notch. I strive for my site to be as good as his, and you might find some useful things taking a gander at his: https://da-requiem.obsidianportal.com/

Best,

-bort

• Pytheas
    Pytheas

Bortas, thanks for pointing me to Alex's site, that looks great.

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

@Pytheas, I honestly can't come up with anything to significantly critique. You've got an excellent campaign site, and the only thing I can possibly suggest is to add a few more images to break up large blocks of text. You did that to great effect in Of Werewolves and Cultists. More of that!

The only other suggestion I can offer is to keep adding more content and keep up the great work! :)

• Pytheas
    Pytheas

@UselessTriviaMan, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I completely agree with the benefit of more images in long blocks of text. I'll try to do that going forward.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

It's been a little bit since I asked, but I've been doing a lot of tweaking on my campaign The Cold Truce

https://thecoldtruce.obsidianportal.com

Just looking for some feed back on the general state of the campaign, and thoughts on any improvements it could use. Thanks!

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

The Cold Truce looks awesome, @conan_lybarian ! Your color choices really seem to nail the feel of the world, and I like all the little details, like the cropped corners of your menu sidebar. The custom pointer with the monstrous eye is especially cool.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Thanks @Jynx001! And thanks for the favorite @UslessTriviaMan! Means a lot coming from OP Vets like you guys