Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• CutGlass
    I've just noticed that I can't manage friends or favourite campaigns. The button just takes me back to my profile.

Has this one been noted already?
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    I've posted this in the Quick 'n' Dirty CSS fix section, but I'm seeing it asked for a fair amount here. In regards to different colored links (with Basileus' putting in the actual official colors):

bc. #content a:link {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:visited {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:hover {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:active {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}

bc. #content a:link.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:visited.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:hover.create-wiki-page-link {color:lightred;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:active.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}

The above code makes all of a campaigns links blue, and all links to empty wiki pages that haven’t been filled in yet red. Obviously, feel free to choose your own colors or styles.

-Thorvaldr
    DM of "Tyellador":https://tyellador.obsidianportal.com/
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Quick update, lots more to come, I'll be much more verbose in my next post but for now:

* Forum posts are now editable again
    * Embedding works properly now
    * Tags fixed (see micah's video here: "https://vimeo.com/78173467":https://vimeo.com/78173467)

Adventure log comments are coming, among other things!
    Post edited by DreadGazebo on
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Thank you for forum editing...its a life saver.

Not sure I agree that picture embedding works properly. Clicked embed picture and still waiting for my image selections to pop up three minutes later. And Chrome wants to kill the page.

(finally opened at 3.5)

By the way, while it is waiting to open, the hard drive is spinning up, which doesn't happend to embed character, link, or audio/video, their selector shows up immediately.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Embedding is NOT working.

I still cannot embed images at all. It's not a delay, its a ctrashing script.

I've opened a help topic about this as well and heard nothing in the past two days

I use Windows 7 and have tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome and get the same error on each

Script: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.1/jquery.min.js:5

This needs to be fixed ASAP. What is the point of fixing my pages if I cannot replace images, add new ones, or replace the links to the images that are now broken?

Adding an update. I can OCCASIONALLY get the Embed Image to work, if I tell the script to keep running and wait 5-10 min. This works, maybe 33% of the time. The rest of the time, it crashes my browser.

I understand having bugs and issues. I work in IT. I'm not leaving OP anytime soon, but, you guys really should have tested more and taken into consideration the existing sites more rather than just add all these bells and whistles. Yes, some things needed fixing and streamlining, but there was no reason to throw out what was already working.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/
    Post edited by Keryth987 on

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I hear yah Keryth, I hear yah..../nods.
  • Langy
    Langy
    Gotta agree, image embed isn't working right. For one thing, it seems to be loading _every single image_ in the entire library at once before showing any of them. That's obviously going to take a while if you've got several MB of images. Something else screwy may be going on there, too, but I'm not sure what.

Can you use smaller images, or have them only load when you scroll to them or something? Maybe that'll help.
  • deljohn
    deljohn
    Agreed. image embed is still broken when there are a significant number of images in the library. Shrinking the images or just displaying thumbnails would make searching for images a bit easier also....
  • CutGlass
    I'm not sure about this one, but I have a suggestion. Though it would be a long way down the priority list.

As it currently stands you set one of your campaigns as your "active" campaign and are taken to that by default when you log in. What if you have several campaigns on the go?

I would prefer it if you were just taken to your profile page when you log in, where you can select any of your own campaigns, your favourite campaigns, your friends, etc.

It would also be easier for when you just want to log in to look at the discussions or blog, or look for help on something.

Does anyone else agree?
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    @CutGlass: I think that would be a fine arrangement.
  • Langy
    Langy
    I kinda like being taken directly to a campaign, but I'd like the option of being able to go directly to the profile page, yes.

I'm still wondering what the pin at the upper-right is supposed to do; I thought that it might make it so you automatically are taken to that page when you log in, but it doesn't. Would be nice if it did, though - that way you can set it to take you to your campaign's front page or something if you like rather than always the dashboard.

(also, I seem to have missed the way to set what your 'active' campaign is; where's that option?)
  • Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots
    Haven't seen anyone mention this so far, so if they have, apologies. In regards to inactive links no longer having a different color to distinguish them from active links, here's a spot of CSS for those who can use it and haven't already figured it out before I did ;)

/* Inactive Link Appearance */
    #content a:link.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:visited.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:hover.create-wiki-page-link {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:active.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}

For those without access to CSS, it's a little more difficult as each individual link will have to be done like so:

Name of link here

Hopefully this might help somebody :)

• DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Today Micah and the team are working on the following:

* Restoring all Adventure Log comments
    * Getting the 'new wiki page' links colored correctly
    * Adding the forum/calendar/settings menu items back to the left nav menu from the campaign homepage.

More updates coming soon.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    @Langy - The pin is a toggle for the top nav bar to follow you as you scroll down the page or not.
  • JackMunchkin
    JackMunchkin
    Question :
    Does anyone have a same issue than me on MAC OS X and Safari ? Dashboard page is fine but all other pages have a big empty space above banner, making content being pushed down beyond screen display and thus having user to scroll down to access content.

PS : login page has too many clicks to access... I don't want to use FB / Google accounts and username / PW should be proposed from the very first page.
  • Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots
    @Langy: Active campaign selection is an option selectable when you edit your Profile.

• Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    I finally got around to looking at the new Campaigns page, the one that lists all of the campaigns. I have to say, I _love_ the new layout. Easy to see a fair number of campaigns at once, and to get a feel for them. However, I don't know how they're currently be sorted, but something feels wrong when "Age of Legends":https://age-of-legends.obsidianportal.com/ is on page 7, and "Sanction of the Athar":https://sanction.obsidianportal.com/ is on page 11. Both of these campaigns were huge sources of influence and help when I first started here, and I would hate for new DMs to miss out on these when they start their own campaign.

-Thorvaldr
    DM of "Tyellador":https://tyellador.obsidianportal.com/
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks for echoing one of my concerns, Thorvaldr! I used the most popular campaign sort to see what made a good looking campaign- this led me to Duskreign, Chainsaw, and Arsheesh- the 3 people who helped me the most when I started Rebuilt. They are why I put so much effort in, and have tried to give back to the community since.
    Not having the campaigns listed by # of fans is a huge deal- people look at that to see what can be done!
    PS- Missing all 3 right now, and would love their feedback- and them to fix their formerly gorgeous campaigns.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Unabashadly pushing for 300 fans!
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @Dread Gazebo and OP Crew-
    To give you a positive, I tagged a few logs after the fix, and it not only is way easier, but pretty awesome!!

Just trying to help out.

• dragoner
    dragoner
    Well, after spending $75 this year to date and seeing everything ruined, I want to talk about some sort of refund.
  • MarkGiguere
    MarkGiguere
    Seriously?!?!

"Everything" is ruined? Hyperbole much?
  • dragoner
    dragoner
    I didn't pay $75 to be insulted by internet trolls.
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    Dragoner is right. He paid $75 for a subscription to a gaming site with personal forums, calendar, wiki, maps and file storage, etc. And right now everything _looks_ different, and 3 days later, it still has some _issues!_

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of things I am displeased with in regards to the reforging. The fact that sub-forums have been taken away, and that I have to go through the dashboard to get to my campaign's forums and calendar being at the top of that list. ...oh, and I haven't even touched my Adventure Logs yet... they're kinda intimidating right now. And the lack of separation between PC's and NPC's, which I believe is going to get fixed anyways.

So, I agree with Mark. Saying that _everything_ is ruined is a bit of hyperbole, doesn't sound too troll-like to me. I've had to work a number of hours to fix my CSS... I could easily be 12 hours into it by now. But, I knew from the outset that the CSS could be broken at any time, so I really can't blame Obsidian Portal for that too much. Is it a pain? Of course. But these things happen. And besides some bugs, and possibly some questionable aesthetic choices, it's hard to say that _everything's_ ruined.

If you want to give some examples, I'm sure many of us can help you in terms of custom CSS code. Or at least you can make your complaints known to the Obsidian Portal team, it seems to me like they've been fairly receptive to many of the criticisms raised. But everything of the site isn't broken, most of it works, albeit if differently. So, you're probably not due a 100% refund. Maybe like... 5% of the site is actually broken? And if it's still broken within a month, I do think you should be eligible for your $3.75 refund.
  • Langy
    Langy
    Dragoner, your campaigns aren't ruined. Adventure log comments are being restored *right now*, and there's nothing else seriously wrong with your campaigns, unless I missed something while exploring them. EDIT: I forget if you had subforums and such; if you did, that's also currently not working and hopefully will be fixed. But it's not 'everything'.
    Post edited by Langy on
  • Davidb_S
    Davidb_S
    I see how to now edit forum posts (fantastic!), but I don't see an option to delete a single post or the entire thread. Am I missing something?
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Wow,

MarkGiguere - I don't know or want to know you, but how did you think your statement was helpful? Dragoner has every right to be pissed about the devestation to his campaign. Until you watch hours and hours of your work and years of your campaign history ripped away do everyone a favor and shut your blow hole.

Thor - really man mocking him over the refund percentage - I'm dissappointed in that. You seem a much better guy than that statement.

"Leonidas300":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/leonidas300
    "A Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/main-page
    COTM - Sept. 2012
    Post edited by Leonidas300 on
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    also Langy appreciate all the help you and Thor have been giving folks but the "nothing is seriously wrong with your campaign" statement I've seen you give a few folks myself included should really be caveated with If you have good CSS coding skills, because if you aren't good with CSS then you are reliant on others to bring your vision back into being.
    Post edited by Leonidas300 on
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    @Leonidas: All of that is completely fair, and I may have gotten a bit snippy, and for that I apologize. But I do stand by most of what I said, he gave a very sweeping statement with no actual details while asking for a refund. If he gave really any specifics, I'd have a lot more sympathy. You have well documented what you're disappointed with in regards to the reforging, and it's been fairly constructive. And I do agree with much of it. There are legitimate concerns to be had. But saying "Everything is ruined, I want all of my money back" isn't constructive in the least, especially since most of the site does still work.

The whole point of the reforging since the beginning was to change the look and feel of the site. It so happens that I've been most excited about the stretch goals, and most critical of some of the main reforging changes... but most of what I'm upset by it sounds likes they're going to try and fix. But in the end, we did get what we paid for in the Kickstarter, a new layout to Obsidian Portal and a Dashboard. I may not be a big fan of the dashboard, but that has been on the table since Day 1, so it's hard for me to complain too much about it.

And I especially understand how hard this is if you're not good with CSS. I didn't even know what CSS was 6 months ago. And I'm in now way implying that everybody should start learning it. But, if anybody asks for help on the forum, so far I've seen pretty quick responses. I agree it's more of a pain than it should be... but it has been stated since the beginning that any custom CSS we put in could get upended at any moment.

So I guess to conclude my inadvertent essay, I don't necessarily disagree with the general sentiment, but I do disagree with the lack of anything constructive, and the expectation of any refund. They more or less delivered what they said they would, and they're working very quickly to fix many of the issues that we still have. Which they should be doing. And they are. So that's something ...I've never really been good with conclusions.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    @Davidb_S - We're patching those in soon as well.
  • MarkGiguere
    MarkGiguere
    @Leanidas300:

First, how exactly is running around and screaming the sky is falling helpful? HE is a troll, I was just highlighting it and highlighting the evident hyperbole of dragoner's post.

He is certainly allowed to be unhappy about the changes but I would point out that if you heavily customized your site, you are running a non-standard version of the product. When said product is patched, you are NOT in a position to complain when the patch borks your site. How EXACTLY can OP make ANY changes of ANY kind if you expect them to take into account every possible customization any of their users made?

The answer is: they can't! They can and SHOULD move forward with the site and they HAVE created a program to help transition people over to the new structure. Yes, mistakes were made and are being fixed but let's keep this in perspective: it's been only a few DAYS and it's a website which is used as a tool to play games, not a surgical tool.

The only people I consider have a very good case for the "my campaign is broken!" complaint are the people who were running PBP campaign in the forums. They are screwed and they were NOT running something very far from "standard". Yet, even they should be a bit more polite/civilized than just slamming the door and demanding a refund like, say, SAYING what is not working instead of just declaring everything is broken?

So, sorry, I have minimal sympathy for people throwing virtual tantrums even if his is, admittedly, rather mild.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions