"Ragged Vestiges" Campaign Now Recruiting

Ironhead
Ironhead
edited October 2010 in Player Lounge
We are now recruiting players for the Ragged Vestiges setting! Welcome to the land of Vorkalis, foremost of the kingdoms descended from those destroyed by the Godswar that nearly brought an end to all life. Man, dwarf, elf and orc all took up arms against one another and heeded the call of their kings, queens and even gods in a mad struggle for supremacy that shook the pillars of heaven while releasing hell on earth. Nations fell, civilization crumbled, immortals died and knowledge was lost as the world fought desperately to survive the chaos it had wrought upon itself.

The path back to civilization has been a long and painful one, but it HAS been traveled and the you are the offspring of those who have cut that path. You find yourselves in unique times as your homeland, the mightiest empire of the modern age, begins exploration and colonization to both the east and west. In the north, the dwarves continue their ages old battle with the giantkin and have allied with the norselike men of the frigid wilderlands, about whom much has been whispered but little seen firsthand. And, in the lands of the south, it's rumored that a nation of the dark jungles has built it's capital in the very heart of an active volcano, calling it Anshur-Tervahl; "the city of black glass".

Magic is the stuff of legends and feared by most, but for those with the courage and openness of mind to learn more of it, it can be as capable of miraculous blessings as horrendous evils. There are secrets lost and forgotten awaiting discovery by the bold explorers of this new age and you will be at the forefront of that wave.

This campaign will be run on OpenRPG and we're tentatively looking at one session a week at a time we've all agreed upon the week prior. It will be a Pathfinder/ 3.5e game with loose limitations(only psionics are out, atm). Currently, our roster includes only Rase Cidraen and I, but we are looking for 4-5 more mature, intelligent players to join us. If you're interested, please take a moment to cut & paste the short questionaire included and post here or PM me your answers so we can get a feel for your taste and compatability for the group. Thank you.

1) What race and class are you hoping to play? What style of that class are you imagining for this character? What is his or her name?

2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important.

3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc.

4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her?

5) What is your favorite fantasy series or novel? Please describe why.

6) Favorite fictional character in fantasy? All genres? Please describe why.

7) Favorite figures from history? Why?

8) Prefered atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light?

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Adventurers wanted: Will travel. Seeking companions for the journey of a life time. Likes: long walks to the edge of civilization and beyond, dining by the firelight of a destroyed enemy camp, freezing in a cave in the arctic north; for fun and profit!

In all seriousness, I think that an Online Campaign set in this world has the potential to be epic in scope, enthralling, captivating, and otherwise a generally good time. The hardest part of any journey is the first step, and in our case, getting a like-minded group of individuals together for magic, mayhem and marauding.

On the technical side of things, if you are unfamiliar with OpenRPG, I am more than willing to provide tutorials in this rather powerful (and free!) tool that we will be availing ourselves of. It has the capability to hold character sheets, although I'm sure that there are other options of programs that we could use as well.

On the gaming side of things - I've been playing D&D in various incarnations since, well, Diablo 2 came out, and back then (and now, coincidentally) I was struggling to grasp the concept of THAC0. Now, things have gone a bit differently, but I still love it all the same. As far as the party goes, I've got some ideas of what I'd like to play, but I'm flexible if my concept doesn't mesh with that which anyone else puts forward. (Also, I don't think Ironhead mentioned this, but I think that we were looking at running this in Pathfinder :) )
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Is Ragged Vestiges the rules set or the campaign setting? If the latter, what is the rules set? 3.5? 4E? I might be interested if it's DnD. Also, is OpenRPG chat based or VoiP based? Lastly, if it is DnD are there any race/class/book restrictions? (i.e. races out of the PHB and classes only out of the PHB and complete books?) Lastly, what would the schedule be like? Once a week, and schedule the week prior? Same time every week? Please let me know, cause I might be interested in joining this game :).
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    No waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I'd get to Game with the Great and Magnificent Gaaran! I'm stoked! (As far as I'm aware...): Ragged Vestiges is the campaign setting - the Ruleset is Pathfinder (3.5e+, AFAIK..) OpenRPG is chat based, with a built in map program that supports layers, player controlled icons, password protected campaign rooms, Fog of War, multiple Aliases, die rolling - the works. I have no idea what schedule we're looking at! But this is a good question that deserves consideration!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Sounds good, thanks Rase, I've never played pathfinder, are there supplements other than the main book that have character class and race options? And are they fair game? or should I just stick with the core book?
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Gah! Sorry about that, gaaran. I did a couple too many cut and pastes and left out some important info :( I corrected the original post, but will answer here too: "Ragged Vestiges" is just the setting name - it's a homebrewed concoction of my own. Atm, there are no limitations beyond a ban on psionics, but please contact me first for extremely exotic combos/races, just to make sure they're compatabile. The schedule would be once a week and agreed upon a week in advance. We're hoping to build a cohesive, long term group out of this :)
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    To break the ice, as it were, I shall post my cobbled together responses to the aforementioned survey! But first, to decide whether to throw up a wiki page and hide it there, so it doesn't have to be scrolled past, or to see if I can't use spoiler tags...

Spoiler is hidden now?

*Edit:* Rats - looks like my options are either Wiki-page or boring everyone with having to scroll past 80 billion pages of text. Any suggestions?
    Post edited by RaseCidraen on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Thanks guys, I think I'm interested, lemme just look through the Pathfinder book see what's different and what I want to play. And I completely glossed over the fact that Rase called me the Great and Magnificent Gaaran... O.o

And I assure you Ironhead, I'll probably not play a ninja squirrel or something (although I am planning on using on for MY game :P). Just wanted to make sure.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I'm actually looking at it now "too":http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ and it seems very 3.5e + a bit of revisionism, which is fine with me!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Should i be actually creating a character yet? or just comping up with the concept?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Very well! My answers to the questionaire! (Part 1)

*1) What race and class are you hoping to play? What style of that class are you imagining for this character? What is his or her name?*
    I was hoping to play a Northerner Barbarian (Human) - someone who has traveled from the north, is out of his element, and enjoys every minute of it (Sort of...). I'm envisioning his name being Aurek Stronghawk, but I'm unsure of the naming paradigms of the Northerners, so that may be inappropriate.

*2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important.*
    _To be Determined_

*3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc.*
    _To be Determined_

*4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her?*
    Knowledge - an esoteric goal for a barbarian, to be sure, but a goal nonetheless. He
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    (Part 2)

*5) What is your favorite fantasy series or novel? Please describe why.*
    Favorite Fantasy Series/Novel: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - specifically Night Watch. It was a bit grittier than the rest of his novels, but it still had elements of dark comedy, with light parts as well. (Also, Good Omens was spectacular - the interaction between Azaphael and Crowley is priceless, and damn good.) If we're talking High Fantasy, I think Christopher Rowley's Basil Broketail series was good (at least when I was reading the series). But more than that, I enjoyed the Taltos series by Stephen Brust - stories about an Assassin with a not-so-golden heart. It's grittier, darker, but it still has an underlying current of humor and irony that life can't be without.

*6) Favorite fictional character in fantasy? All genres? Please describe why.*
    Favorite fantasy character - we're getting into grounds that are a bit tougher, here... It's a tie, I think, between Samuel Vimes (Discworld), and the titular Vlad Taltos (Taltos). A close third, though is Lord Vetinari (Discworld). My reasoning is as follows.

* *Samuel Vimes:* I like Vimes for a myriad of reasons - he's a normal man, doing his job, and it sucks. He hates going to social functions, he hates the responsibility. But it's his Job, so it gets done, no matter how much he hates it. He's a beat cop at heart, and there's nothing he'd rather do than walk the streets. So much so that you can't keep him from it. Also, he has moments of berserk madness that just have cemented him in my mind as the greatest hero/father ever. (sic. "Where is my cow?!")

* *Vlad Taltos:* The story of a man who finds his niche - killing people. Sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don't. Throw in teleportation magic that makes people sick, a massive class struggle between the humans and their betters, old magic, and a wise-talking pet dragon and there's a whole lot to love. And having the story revolve around an embittered killer just makes the magic sweeter. Add to that his aversion to using certain types of weapons, soul destroyers, he sometimes kills just to send a message. To the person he's killed. (Who is subsequently brought back to life - only one way to the True Death in that universe, and it's not pretty for the killer or the killed.) A gritty, determined character.

* *Lord Vetinari:* The Machivellian Totalitarian ruler of Discworld's premier city, Ankh-Morpork. Cunning, devious, despotic. Not without a sense of humor. And absolutely brilliant. The man built a dungeon for the sole purpose that he knew he was going to be arrested one day, and he put the locks on the *inside*. To keep the *World* out. And he still ran the city, despite being in jail. He's an ex-assassin, and he always has plans within plans, contingencies, and moreover, nobody knows that everyone is his plaything. The factions want to make decisions about the city? He lets them. His rule, despite being tyrannical, is long and prosperous, because he doesn't deny those type of requests. That doesn't mean that they get to *make* any decisions other than the ones he sets out for them, and they don't even realize it. Also a big fan of giving people just enough rope to hogtie themselves, with some leftover for a good hanging, if time allows.

(In terms of All Genres: Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium. Warhammer 40k. A legend in his own time, and he just wants to retire in peace. A hero by accident, who is looking for nothing else than but to save his own skin. He uses his heroic reputation as a tool: and it works. But it gets him into more jams than it gets him out of. How can the Hero of the Millenium back down when he's asked to charge the machine gun nest? He eats those for breakfast! Well, according to legend anyway...)

I like all of these characters because they're flawed, and they feel real. Vimes, because he realizes *someone* has to do the right thing, and because it's his Job, that someone is invariably going to be him. Vlad, for his insouciant companion dragon, his pragmatic outlook on life, and his ability to stomach things he doesn't want to do because they need doing. And moreover Ciaphas, the consummate coward, who would rather be running from a fight than towards it, but constantly is getting into trouble because of it (Who knew that running away from the small bad guy points you square at the big one?), and his tactical genius gets him out of the situations he gets himself into, with a healthy dose of luck.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    (Part 3)

*7) Favorite figures from history? Why?*
    Favorite Historical Figures: A tough one. But some names spring to mind. *Nikola Tesla* - genius inventor, somewhat mad, but he invented A/C electricity and radio, and numerous other things. *Any General who Invaded Russia* - because I like a laugh and honestly, the bit about starting a land war in Asia is so true... *Leonardo Da Vinci* - A man out of time, who was almost criminally genius. ...Oddly enough, I thought there'd be more, but I guess my brain is just not working at 100%.

*8) Prefered atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light?*
    Atmosphere: More tough than those that came before. I enjoy all atmospheres... I like the dark and gritty (Campy is not my thing for RP - a good joke is one thing, but fighting Flan in a pastry shop is... not.), with irony and humor mixed in. Mystery and intrigue fit in nicely, and if things progress to an epic scale, that's even better. It's like kicking down the door of a corrupt donut shop owner, only to find the front for an entire crime syndicate. Those kind of WOW moments drive me to adventure. Loss is inevitable, but we try and stave it off for as long as possible. When you succeed, it's amazing. When you fail, it makes for interesting character development, and motivation. The trick is finding the appropriate balance of heartbreak and sorrow to success.

I hope this gives everyone a bit more insight into who I am, and who I will be! (I haven't come up with a Sheet yet, Gaaran - just a concept :) )
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Last questions, will we be starting at level 1?
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Yes :)
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    My Questionnaire, Part 1

*1) What race and class are you hoping to play? What style of that class are you imagining for this character? What is his or her name?*
    I have two character concepts in mind, one is a human monk that found monastery life to be stifling, when he had these gifts that he could use to help people out in the real world. His name Tyson Ra.

The other concept is a female Elf rogue. She's a confident woman, knowing that she can use her looks (and blades) as a weapon. Her name is Ariandra Warden.

*2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important*
    At age 17, Tyson is rather naive, but has an intuition that stops him from getting himself into trouble. He wants to believe the best in people, but at the same time has a sense of when they're not telling the truth. As such, people often disappoint him. He's 5'11" keeps his head shaved bald, and keeps his physique well toned. He's lawful good, and his unflinching optimism can kind of grate people the wrong way.

Ariandra is 22, and grew up on the streets. She learned at a very early age how to take care of herself, she had to, to protect herself from those that would prey on her. She also learned how to use her body and sexuality as a weapon, to get what she wants. Deep down, however, she's a good person, and she strives to use her gifts to help those that can't help themselves, and to punish those that would take advantage. She's 5'10", beautiful, and she knows it.

*3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc. 4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her? (I combined 3 & 4)*
    Tyson has lead a rather sheltered life, growing up in the Temple of the Sun, under the strict, but fair tutelage of Master Solis. It has long been the philosophy at the temple to observe the outside world and learn and study, but not to intervene directly. Tyson was not okay with this view of the outside world, and when he was 17, before he completed his training, he left the monastery, going out to see the world at large.

Ariandra was orphaned in a large city when she was 10. Unfortunately for her, she developed early. She was living off the waste of others when a youth ganglord or pimp noticed her through the caked on grime. She was taken against her will to their hideout. This was the first time she realized she had power over men, using her charms to get the guard to release her bonds. She disarmed and killed the 14 year old. Realizing what she could do, she vowed never to be made a victim again.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    My Questionnaire, Part 2

I have three favorites. My number one is definitely the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I'm a huge fan of his unique characters and the world he has created. Perhaps my most favorite part, is that he has now bridged the gap between our world, where his Word and Void series took place, and his fantasy world of Shannara. It's the standard epic fantasy, but it doesn't use the standard goblins and orcs.

My next favorite series is the Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Another epic fantasy that doesn't follow the Tolkein-esque mold (not that there's anything wrong with that, I loved LotR). This takes place on several parallel worlds connected through death's gate. each world has an elemental property to it and the denizens reflect as such. the characters are varied and unique, and the story itself is very well written (in fact, I think I'm going to go re-read those soon :P).

Next, for good old fashioned fantasy, is the Dragonlance series, notably all the books written by Weis and Hickman. They're like trashy romance novels for fantasy geeks :) (that's not really fair, I actually thing the main story line is quite awesome)

I have a couple again. One of my favorite would have to be Sparhawk from the works by David Eddings. He's just a fun character, he's a knight among knights, but yet he's sarcastic and witty, and acts more like you'd expect a good mercenary to act, rather than a decorated knight. He's also just a badass.

Another of my favorite characters is Samwise Gamgee from LotR. The REAL hero of the story. His willpower, and strength of character are the single-most important part of destroying the ring. Without his good heart, and loyal nature, everything would have failed.

There are plenty more, but this is getting long.

I admit that I am not as well versed in real history as I am in fantasy history. Its not that I don't know who Socrates is, or who painted the Sistine Chapel (one of the ninja turtles right? :P) but I haven't focused my attention on it. That said, there are plenty that serve to inspire. One, whom I don't know TOO much about honestly, inspired Ariandra. That would be Mata Hari, the world's most deadly assassin. A powerful woman, she understood the power she controlled, and wielded it more effectively than any weapon. While I don't admire killing as such, that kind of self-confidence and grace is to be admired.

There are others of course, Einstein and Newton and those super scientists have impacted our lives in ways we can't even imagine. William Wallace and all freedom fighters that have stood up for something greater than themselves... the list could go on. This isn't really a good list of my favorite historical figures... just my favorite right now.

*8) Prefered atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light?*
    I prefer a combination of epic and light. A strange combination, but I suppose what I mean is I prefer an epic tale for my character, one full of intrigue and adventure, fantastic places and sinister magic. For my gaming environment, I prefer a light-hearted one. I'm okay with wanted to get down to business, but I don't want to be shushed if I come with something that I think would be hilarious for my character to do, but keep it out of game, or make a joke or something. I look forward to this though, because I have only played in games with my main group for most of the past 13 years. We're not too serious about it, which is totally fine and fun, but this should be a refreshing change of pace I think.

_Please take any spelling or grammatical errors with a grain of salt.... it's almost 6am_
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Hey gaaran,

The Shannarra series was the first fanasy series I read. It holds a special place in my heart. Glad to find another fan here on OP.
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Hi, I'm 44, played D&D & Traveller since 1979. tied up with passing out candy and last minute decorations today, but I'm an old hand at playing and running [Star Wars d6, Star Wars:SAGA, Traveller, D&D 2e, D&D 3.5, Cyberpunk:2020] via open since 2005.

I've got the PF Core book (What a bullet stopper that puppy is, it rivals Hero 5th), and I think one more book, not sure if it's an adventure or what, I haven't looked at it in over a year.

I played in a PF Game, some 3 years ago, set in Greyhawk, organized out of the Mythweavers site, if I recall, that ran 4 sessions till the DM bailed. I had done PC character art for the entire party of 5, using a Larry Elmore kind of How to Draw fantasy PCs CD instruction kind of deal. So I have some of those skills, some other character sketch / art programs, plus hero Factory? and also Profantasy's campaign cartographer 2 and 3 with 90% of all the plug-ins, if you need characters / map support or whatever.

My Thursdays are out, I run "Alternity: Orionarm5440":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/orionarm-5440 as a live table game at a local Hobby Store on Thursdays. Time of day wise, I'm open to pretty much anything. REALLY Late nights, I play on an MMO, around 1 AM EST past, but not every night.

As to this game, I loved the intro description, reminds me of the depth that I go to for all of my own campaigns. I like post-apocalyptic settings, many of my settings have that feel.
    I'll complete the entry questionaire later today, or tonight.
    Post edited by Vandor on
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I wish I wasn't a very busy man at the moment. Let me know if you'll be adding players in about 6-8 months. Fantastic writeup.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Part one:

I tend towards human/half-elf that can pass for human, or halfling or gnome type rogue characters. Usually bard types or entertainers that have a very public persona and a very private and usually diametrically opposed persona. Introverted, but fakes it with sarcasm, and passive aggressive behavior. Gnome Illusionist or Half Elf bard are in my top slots for an urge to play again.

*2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important.*

Gnathan the Gnome Illusionist has a severe inferiority complex. He addresses people with cruel nicknames or with bitter sarcasm, and doesn't make friends easily, though he is not entirely averse to mutual using of each others talents, especially if it results in coin in the pocket. He is essentially a coward and a blowhard, and has started more than his share of bar-fights and angry village mobs. He is short, even by gnome standards, and can pass for a large baby if shaved. This makes him angry.

*3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc.*

He was teased brutally while growing up for being short (even for a gnome) and found most of his free time taken up by books. When his father was trading with a nearby human village in his youth, Gnathan met up with a traveling carnival and took apprenticeship under the tutelege of the -Great- -Amazing- -So So- "He's really Pretty OK" Wonko.

*4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her?*

Money. And an irrational wish to cut all tall people off just above the knees.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche

I don't have a single favorite, though I tend to like silly fantasy like Xanth or Discworld a lot. But I also enjoy Albion, Prydain, Chronicles of Chrestomanci, etc. just as much. I actually read more sci-fi than fantasy though.

"The Luggage.":http://www.paulkidby.com/images/miniatures/luggage001-1a.jpg It needs NO explanation. For all genres, I'd have to say Serge A. Storms he was out serial killing assholes before 'Dexter' was even a thought. He is an NPC in my Shadowrun game.

Epicurus. Simply quotable. Clinton. Showed me that evasiveness can take on a whole new level if done right. George W. Bush. I will laugh for years about this guy. Lincoln. May not have had the best intentions, but had a great effect. Gene Roddenberry. He did more for social advancement than most politicians in the 20th century.

*8) Preferred atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light?*

Epic Dark. I like the struggle types, and one that's been going for longer than most of the PCs can remember. Nobody knows why things are crappy, but that's the way they are so people being impolite is not out of place, it's dog eat dog.
    Post edited by JimTriche on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I agree with Jim, if I weren't so terribly busy myself I would jump at the opportunity to game with Gaaran and Rase! Seriously, I can see this being a wonderfully synergistic campaign. I will be looking forward with anticipation to watching this campaign take shape.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Happy Halloween! (As a quick aside, I just felt that I should mention: I love OOC asides, where the group jokes around - I just find it aggrivating when, in the middle of an epic battle or w/e that a character just drops everything and keeps blowing bubbles and juggling toothpicks for no particular reason. I love joking around more than other people (My fiancee was rolling her eyes all day when we were shopping - apparently riffing puns based on meats at the deli counter is a no-no :) ) ) --- Jim! The Luggage! Awesome! I shall endeavor to respond to all of these posts when I have a free minute. Until then, I bid the all a spooky night!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Oh, I know you're thinking OpenRPG, but I just wanted to point out "MapTools":http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tools as well, I use it for my games at home (I use a 52" tv as a battle mat :). Not saying it's better (I haven't really checked out openrpg yet) just wanted to throw options on the table :)
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    1) Race: Human
    Sex: Female
    Class: Rogue
    Style: Ancient Treasure Huntress
    Name: Rilia Aerandal (Or some similar Elvish-sounding variant (except she's human), as fits the campaign)
    Alignment: N ?

2) Description:
    She's short, bordering on small, perhaps 5'1". Clothing is utilitarian, lending the ability to move outdoors, without catching on snags and branches and such. Not the typical sneak-thief/wannabe assassin, more of an acrobatic type outdoors.

Smart, and conventionally pretty, but not overly so. Dull, shorter, fly-away red hair. Maybe a scar on her leg. Slightly more than average charisma. Wears furs, and wraps, rather than a tunic or robe. Not a whole lot of possessions, other than tools, but might have a pouch for trade gems, or larger bag for coins. I feel she's ambidextrous, or will be training herself to become so, over the long term. One of her favorite tricks is to do the sword-wave-in-circles/figure-eight "Conan style" intimidation, to back people off. She would not likely bother with a shield.

Rilia has never ridden a horse, and is afraid of them. Perceptive, and seeks to gain a major magic treasure, and perhaps a magic weapon, if one can be found. Not really colorful of temperament, or personality. Speaks her mind when needed. Doesn't attack first, or provoke unneccesary fights. Is not afraid to run, she has no ego to defend. Nor is she vengeful. But if directly threatened, or continually provoked, it's a deal where she "unfolds from her calmness" and can become spookily detached, somewhat fatalistic, and very nasty, and won't come down from it for a long while. Kind of a slow fuse, long burn, dynamite temper.

3) History: Age might be 17. She's been on her own at least 2 years, so she's continually learning. Her former family tale is a mystery, along the lines of... a village of population perhaps 400, 60 buildings in all, effectively wiped out by a flood or fire, not by enemy (people) attack. Could have been a more legendary beast. Could have been an avalanche.

She started with a short sword and what she could gather, buried the dead, (or helped a few scant survivors to do so), cropped her hair and set off. She might have a fear for whatever it was that wrecked the village. She's still very much an unfinished block of personhood. She's never known a suitor or anyone close, other than her parents and sister. Her uncle on her father's side (who is alive somewhere) was a scribe, perhaps, and thus she had the basics of ink and quill knowledge. Her first occupation was at 15, she presented herself to / was found exhausted and was rescued by / a distant convent, or nunnery, but she somehow arranged to not join. They directed her to or she was able to set up an assistant position with the town or a local official or minor noble as a scribe or librarian, in a larger town of say 5000. How that ended, or why, not sure. Maybe she read a book of a fabulous lost treasure and set out. Maybe she just took up her village sword from it's hiding place, strapped on the scabbard and stepped out the door, said perhaps two goodbyes, and didn't look back. She has no enemies. She trusts her perceptions, and judgment about people and situations. If it came to backstabbing someone she'd feel bad about it, unless it was someone that really deserved it. She's still wrestling with the morality of the roguish life, and probably naive. Despite her youth, and inexperience, she's somewhat confident, and willful. But she's not a lone wolf, and can work with people that she views as competent.
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    4) Goals: Despite having the class title of "Rogue", Rilia doesn't believe in robbing people, or thievery, per se. Empty, or dungeon filled ruins are a different story, and attract her interest. robbing a tomb or grave is easier than gain from the living. She'd like to acquire a sword with gems, to look spiffy. And a scabbard, too. Some decent magic or specially crafted leather armor, perhaps. She's a bit disorganized in her beliefs. She does like to do the work of making books. She knows she can't wander all her life, but... her life, such as it is, is just starting. Rilia also thinks that gaining a set of Dungeon delving tools would be nice. It seems she's ill-equipped and flat broke, or nearly so, and just making do as she can, how she can, and lets fortune bring what it will.

5) Favorite Series: Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Just great descriptions and plot without all of the singing and ponderous verbiage that is LOTR. I read Illearth war in early March 1984 first, then the rest of the series over the next week. Mind-blowing.

6) Favorite fantasy Char: I don't really feel drawn to a specific character, more like I want to see the plot. If I had to choose one...Easily, Conan of Cimmeria.
    He's an anti-hero, but suffers appropriately as a hero should, risking his life, easy battle a challenge for survival. But he's simplistic. He finds a thief in chains, he cuts the chains, and walks off. He's passionate. He does the right thing, trusts his sword, and his comrades. Rags to riches to rags, move on to the next scenario or tale.

All Genres: Of All genres, Clint Eastwood as the Man with no name. The ultimate revenge, and righter or wrongs, even if it's stark and messily wrought. I really enjoy all of those movies, and use those kinds of settings and themes when I run Boot Hill RPG.

7) Favorite from history: Easily, Gary Gygax. No explanation needed, I think. I used to email him questions long ago, and got rapid answers. A great loss when he died.

8) Preferred atmosphere: I'm not big on comedy. I think it's disruptive and distracting, unless you are playing TOON, then it's welcomed. A constant problem I have in my own games are people making off topic jokes, puns, or out of character, or not relevant to the character/for the character remarks. So I'm big on focused, serious, "this is all acting practice" RP. But Gamma World, and Toon, are silly and meant to be.

Many of my fantasy campaigns I've run tend to "Norse stark cold sea on the rocks", "We sail out to die" type stuff.

Similarly, I like military games where maybe a few characters don't make it out alive. Recon, Morrow Project, Twilight:2000, Battletech/Mechwarrior, "To the wall" type stuff.

My cyberpunk games are stark, cold, emotionless intrigues, and paranoia. Espionage campaigns I do are similar, with less paranoia.

I like horror from world and mind shattering Cthulhu to isolation in the depths of space, a la Alien. My own OrionArm:5440 setting is distant post-apocalypse/Horror/Intrigue.

I like games that are gritty, medical rules are followed to the letter, and if a PC dies, so be it, roll a new one, and play it passionately.

I've played in games where it's "Dark" but seems like few people can handle it, or the interpersonal dynamics required, so my groups don't go there.

My groups and I don't play out or describe any sort of sexual anything, other than "The serving girl is attractive", ""You see three scantily dressed girls outside the brothel as you pass."

I once was a player in a D&D group where the DM running a homebrew ruled (by a hidden house rule dice roll) that my PC was Attracted (not charmed, the NPC had 16 charisma) to another PC's "cougar" mother NPC, and that he would thus start a new story line/subplot where my low level PC would be forced, against (my) player will to "Romance" the female 20 years older NPC character, over a series of sessions. I tried to reason with the GM, he wasn't having it. Other players started giving me flack. I resigned from the 6th session of that game at the end of the session. If I run into that type of deal, I'm bailing, right there. No reason for it, didn't apply to the ongoing story, just random die roll and whimsy.

So, that's my proposal, as a potential player in this. If it doesn't fit, or needs adapted, let me know, so I can make other plans. Thanks much for the consideration.
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    I'm pleased and impressed with the responses so far. Lots of interesting individuals to work with here :) I won't rule out Map Tools just yet, either til I have a look at it, garaan. I've been having trouble getting the results I want out of OpenRPG this weekend as I tested it out. We still need a couple more players before we get the ball rolling, too.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Gaaran - I warn you, now I'm tempted to nab your battle mat. :P Maptools might be a bit more versatile (The only reason I suggested OpenRPG was because I've used it before, and it has a handy dandy "Export Chat Log to HTML" button, which allows for convenient, unadulterated adventure logs. I have had some issues with it's map in the past.) I'm open to anything, in that regard.

I am absolutely thrilled to see so much interest from the regulars 'round these parts! Thanks for the vote of confidence, Arsheesh! It's much appreciated.

Insofar as party Synergy:

* I can see working well with either of Gaaran's propose-d characters; I think they provide an interesting duality with my proposed concept - with one, a shared search for knowledge, and with the other, a completely different worldview (one based on control/victimisation) that I think would be very interesting to see how that plays out.
    * With the notorious JimTriche: (I know you don't have time right now, but I'm thrilled at the potential possibility, even in 6-8 months!); I've never played foil to a character with an inferiority complex - It seems like a challenge, and an interesting one at that. ...and being a Tall Person may make that even more interesting/dangerous.
    * With the Knowledgable Vandor: Your Rilia seems like an awfully pragmatic sort, who seems like she may blend well with a Barbarian who comes from a similarly pragmatic culture. They would particularly mesh with respect to dungeoneering, but for different reasons, I suspect.

To respond to the miscellaneous remarks aside from the character bits:
    Gaaran - your description of Sparhawk makes me want to go grab one of Edding's books right now, buy it, and read it. Not necessarily in that order. :) [Also, I think the Ninja Turtles can be found at all major points in history... although wasn't it Splinter who painted the Sistine Chapel?]
    Jim - I hadn't even thought of the Luggage as a literary figure, and I'm upset with myself that I didn't!
    Vandor - That's unfortunate that you had that experience with that DM! I do things on a whim occasionally, but they rarely are completely disjunct from the story like that seemed. I'm not adverse to the occasional Romance sub-plot, but I'd rather it be a character driven thing than a "DM says you're in love with X" thing.

With regards to the collective playstyle preferences: (Let me know if I get something incorrect here)
    *Myself:* Epic/Dark/Intrigue(Storyline) /Light-Hearted [With moments of stone faced seriousness at appropriate dramatic situations] (Gaming Environment) - I've never enjoyed the loss of a character, but I recognize it's potential, and as such my characters have always had a sense of mortality. Loss is inevitable, but we try and stave it off for as long as possible. When you succeed, it
    Post edited by RaseCidraen on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Advocacy: I'm throwing in a vote for Maptools, I think. I'm liking the features I'm reading about!
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Are we waiting for others to join before laying out attributes, and skills? Seems like that is the case, but wanted to check.