"Ragged Vestiges" Campaign Now Recruiting

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I've been waiting, but that's just my excuse because I've been busy :(
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    No, I'd say that everyone here seems like a good match so you can start posting or PMing me character sheets.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Sounds good Iron, what're the rules for making a character? Or should I say, what method of stat generation and such?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Ahh, stat generation, the tools of the gods when they play with mortals. Or as mortals, as it were. I too, would love to know the formalized approach we're going to be taking into the foray of persona generification! (I've been devouring bits of the Pathfinder ruleset as and where I can.)
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I think i'll probably go with Tyson Ra then, if Vandor is wanting to go the female rogue route. And I agree Rase that it would be interesting, two people with very different backgrounds with at least some of the same goals.

To recap, we have a female treasure hunter, a male human monk, a human barbarian, and someday (maybe) a gnome illusionist so far? Just need a cleric and we have all the stereotypical roles filled :).
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    I ran a Conan mongoose game last year, so I was sort of thinking some type of barbarian...but I didn't want to have that direct of a connection, or to step on yours. I usually play clerics in 3.5, and my own fantasy campaigns feature them, but without really having a grasp of the specific pantheon, and not wanting to do a dwarven or human fighter, I settled on Rogue, but against the grain.

I think this will be great. I'll start laying out a basic PC later tonight.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    1) What race and class are you hoping to play? What style of that class are you imagining for this character? What is his or her name?
    I am pretty lenient with what I play, I usually play what the group needs and go from there. If I were to pick something I just wanted to play for fun...well I think I would want to play a Cleric. She would be a very thoughtful person, very healing intensive and protective as well as very in tune with her god/goddess. Her name would be...Syana Rynwor.

2) Please give a description of your character, including physical and personality traits you see as important.
    This is what I get for not reading the questions before hand...well she would be very courteous, sometimes stand offish. When someone is hurt she is the first to respond with no hesitation no matter the situation but she will put thought into what she is doing.

3) Give a bit of your character's history; i.e- age, relationships up to this point, occupation, apprenticeships, enemies, etc.
    22, Cleric of the local church, tends to the church and its grounds when needed, she has relationships with those who visit the church but is not very close to anyone. She is currently an apprentice of the main Priest. No enemies per se, but if anyone commits a crime she will let the authorities know or if someone is trying to hurt/kill another individual, she will intervene.

4) What are your character's goals? What drives him or her?
    To see people smile, to see the world whole. She believes that happiness can be brought by being a whole, she will try to do her best to resolve any issues anyone has so there is no more fighting.

5) What is your favorite fantasy series or novel? Please describe why.
    Don't judge me on this one - The Dark Elf Series. I am not a reader of books other than say my 3.5/Pathfinder books lol, but when it comes to actual story fantasy books the only one that could keep me reading was the Drizzt Books and Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    6) Favorite fictional character in fantasy? All genres? Please describe why.
    Bruenor Battlehammer in Fantasy, Hes very stubborn, hes a great leader and he is Comedic Relief. Concerning all genres, (this is hard!) I would say Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil Series/Books/Games/Movies. I don't have a real reason why I like her...I just do I guess. Always loved her character since I played RE:Director's Cut.

7) Favorite figures from history? Why?
    That is easy. Sgt. Denver "Bull" Randelman. If you do not know who he is, He was a Sgt. In the United States Army Airborne during WWII. He dropped into France during D-Day minus 1 and a couple days after D-Day was forced to hold up in a barn with two French Citizens in German occupied territory. There he defended the family from 3 Germans trying to kill/capture them and then the next day was able to make his way back to the American front lines and still had the resolve to fight.

8) Prefered atmosphere for your campaign? Dark, epic, mysterious, light?

I like Dark campaigns in the sense that I like to feel like there is no way we will be able to get out of a particular situation and everything looks dim and then something unexpected happens, and we are able to pull it off. It really gives a sense of accomplishment.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Hey Gaaran, wait, we need the bard! There has to be a bard for it to be completely stereotypical (Although it's a different "edition" of the stereotype, as it were.) I'm happy that everyone in the group can more or less be synergistic, without having character conflicts that can be detrimental to the party.

Vandor, I'm fine if you'd like to play a Barbarian - I think our character concepts would be different enough that it wouldn't cause any true conflict.

Yoshara, I think that's a wonderful character concept! I've always enjoyed the Lawful/Chaotic dualities which sometimes exist within a party, and lead to very creative roleplaying. The Chaotic party trying to convince the Lawful that it's really for the Greater Good to break the law just this once to save X, or the Lawful one trying to curtail the chaotic nature of the other, only to have the letter of the law be followed rather than the intent. (That was quite an awesome about Sgt. Randelman... as a self-professed scholar of WW2, I feel ashamed for not knowing about him!)

I'm seeing some very interesting character traits that will become excellent foils between the characters - the fact that the characters are all fairly well rounded and have one (generally) similarity and one main difference to most of the rest of the party will be instrumental in bringing them together, and keeping things fresh and interesting!
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Great looking group coming together here! I feel a little bit like a football GM signing free agents for a Super Bowl run :) I apologize for not being around much to answer questions the last few days; family captured me over the weekend, then the Steelers got me Sunday night and I spent yesterday putting together a rough map that left me burnt out when I finally finished. If you'd like a look at it, please PM me your email and I'll send it along to you.

I think we'll go with a best 3 of 5d6 stat generation system with 6 bonus points to be spent freely, if there's no one opposed to that. Don't be afraid to speak up about it if you are - I'm not a dictator and opinions based on the desire to make the game better for everyone are always welcome.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Rats! I haven't got my dice with me! :( How are we spending these 6 bonus points? Is it 6 +1's to be thrown across our stats, or point buy? (Also, how are we handling traits/feats? As a pseudo newcomer to pathfinder, I've found them rather intriguing, and have been reading about them avidly.) Is equipment purchased with 1st level gold, or what?
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Six +1s to be add in any way you choose; six individual +1s to 6 stats, +6 to one ability, or any combination in between. I offer them as "filler" for the non-essential attributes to each player's class. Any feat/trait that you qualify for is on the table. Due to starting in a location on a trade route and being in the most prosperous nation of the current age starting gold will be 150% normal 1st level standards.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Ahh, most intriguing! Are we doing the Pathfinder standard 2 traits at 1st level? (Just wanting to clarify before I strap my boots on and get to work.)
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Yes. Here's a link for anyone who might not be familiar with the system:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Souds great, I shall get to making my character immediately. I like the stat generation, I've always been a fan of higher powered games :). Last question, are we limited by our natural limit? i.e. an elf can have a dex higher than 20?
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    I do have the pathfinder books if anyone needs to reference any information -

Pathfinder Core Rulebook
    Pathfinder Advanced Player's Rulebook
    Bestiary
    Armory
    Bonus Bestiary

I'll start my character today and have it to you by this evening or tomorrow (I have all day to justs it here and brood!)

-Rase I like a light-hearted gaming environment unless it gets in the way of the game and is holding up game.

edit - ugh I am being forced to go to walmart, ill be back in an hour or so.
    Post edited by Yoshara on
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Not constrained by racial limits, gaaran :)
  • Nir
    Nir
    Is this group open to accepting more players? If so I'd like to maybe join and give you my full details of what I'd like to play and answer all the questions you'd like to know about. This is definitely one of the most enthusiastic groups forming I've seen for quite some time.
    Let me know before hand lest I spend the next few hours unnecessarily.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Noooooooooooooooo! WALMARRRRRRRRRT!!!! (Its okay, I'm off to bring a visiting French Irishman to dinner!)
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    last question I think, are we using the gods of golarion, doesn't matter for making my character, just wondering. also, I like this stat generation method, makes for some beefy characters :)
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Still accepting, Nir. If I'm not mistaken (and it's rare that I'm not ;) ), our roster so far looks like this:

Rase - Aurek Stronghawk, human male barbarian

gaaran - Tyson Ra, male human monk

Vandor - Rilia Aerandal, female human rogue

Yoshara - incomplete

Jim Triche(potentially) - Gnathan, male gnome illusionist

I'd say that leaves room for two to three more players. I'm leaning toward a 7 person party as everyone comes forward. The setting can handle 7 easily, imho.
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Common deities are:

Gorum - Strength, Battle, Weapons and Physical Sacrifice

Lamashtu - Madness, Nightmares, Monsters

Torag - Metal Craftsmanship, Military Defense, Strategy

Shelyn - Love, Beauty, Art, Music and Rebirth

Gozreh - Nature, Storms and the Seas

Erastil - Farming, Hunting, Commerce and Family

Pharasma - Fate, Prophecy, Birth and Death

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

These three hold more prominent positions in the pantheon, with Sarenrae and Zon-Kuthon being the equivalent of the real world God and Satan and Nethys being an entity of equal power but seperate from any conflict between them.

Nethys - Magic & Exploration

Sarenrae - Light, Truth, Healing and Redemption (it was through her efforts that the world survived after the great conflict)

Zon-Kuthon - Pain, Envy, Darkness and Loss (despite his evil, he wasn't responsible for the conflict, but his feud with Sarenrae has only grown with age)
  • Nir
    Nir
    Great. I don't have much time right now on my hands, but I'll get to it when I can.
    I'm going to play a half elven character with a built that will include 2/3 classes to depict his versatile nature. In the end one of those classes will be the dominant class and the others will be there just for flavor.
    So I might choose a class already chosen, but I'm likely to move on to something new in a few levels...I gotta have more time to think.
    Maybe a monk for starters and levels in rogue later...

BTW, has no one here read David Gemmell? Cause if you had, you'd put him as your favorite writer, hands down!!! I've read almost every Terry Pratchett book written too. Love em to bits. But Gemmell is king.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    Considering domains, should I just go with domains that would be very close to what the god stands for or do you have a list of domains you want me to abide by?
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Is there an actual campaign forum to join? I've got an initial pic for my PC, and I'm looking for a place to post it... Here? photo bucket? Other?

Working on the stats tonight.

Yes, a bit more power than I'm used to, but it will make us all potential heroes from the starting gate.
    I'm really going to enjoy this. Tough to find a group this enthusiastic.
    Post edited by Vandor on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    i've got my character done and a pic and all that, perhaps it's time to start the campaign page and invite us so that we can get started adding our characters to the page?
  • Ironhead
    Ironhead
    Yoshara, domains will be pretty close to the god's focus; if you're not sure, just drop me a line. I started a campaign page and sent out invites to everyone who expressed interest so far, even those who are too busy atm, and will probably need someone to help me with it or it'll be one of those pages you see 3 yrs along the road with a "Still Under Construction" sign up :D
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    I'm willing to help. I've done other kinds of coding, some C++. This text language they have doesn't seem too rigorous. I've offered map support. I like the way the links work. It's a little tricky until you get it down. I didn't see an invite email.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    Well, I have some Graphic Design talent, more or less self taught by creating signatures for various people in various communities. I don't consider myself very good but I can make some pretty cool looking signatures sometimes. So if you need any graphics made let me know.

Ironhead, cool, I will stick to their focus and try to match domains to them.
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Also, this reminds me... Long ago, I was the official artist of the Gamer's Guild of Ohio, on Yahoo Groups.

I took about 3 weeks (I'm slow) to enter the design for the group's logo contest, and out of a few other entrants, won the right to be their artist:
    "Here is the pic":http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/6303424/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

So, if you want something like that, I can do it, given LOTS of time. If you don't, or if Yoshara is busy, well maybe we can take up a collection and hit on Avatar Art, give them some work.