Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    @Laslo - if you are willing to use some CSS as either a permanent or temporary fix you can add a background color of your choice with the following (change #fff to the hexcode or color name of your preference:

#wiki-list.wiki-list-all{background-color:#fff; padding:10px;}
  • Laslo
    Laslo
    I'm posting a question/bug report for the developers, that's all.
  • Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots
    As I am sitting down to redo my campaign banners again, I am having some difficulty finding where the new dimensions for the banners were posted, it seems. I know I saw them posted somewhere but now it's lost or I am lost, lol. I suppose I could use inspect, but I don't see how to do so with the IE11 modern app on the RT tab I am running atm though ><

Can anyone assist by reposting those dimensions, please? Thank you :)

• dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    @MadEd

994×199px or 5:1 (w:h) aspect ratio.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    I think I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but I think it bears repeating: I noted a really strange bug. When I am logged in as a player on a campaign, I am unable to use the Wiki Link and Character Link buttons (click them and nothing happens). When I'm the GM of a campaign, however, they work really great. I'm pretty sure this isn't how things are supposed to work, right?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Strange- I am not having that issue in the game which I am a player in, "War of the Covens":https://war-of-the-covens.obsidianportal.com/

Just trying to help out.

• Dublin
    Dublin
    I started using OP for my campaign that I DM last February or March. I've been using it out of the box since day one. When the reforge occurred there were a few things that weren't working that first day (thumbnails, tags, embeds, custom banners). Most of those I have managed to resolve. The feedback from my players is that they seem to like the new layout with the exception of the npc/pc separation or lack thereof. I tend to agree. I think it looks more polished and will have more functionality in the long run.

The only thing that is really hurting me at this point is the image embed issue, but it looks like that is being worked on, so I'll just sit tight on that.

That said, one thing you might want to consider is not having users (as I understand it the vanguards are users who have greater coding knowledge) seemingly speak for the company or if they are, you might need to have a talk with some of them. They seem to have the best intentions at heart, but from a customer service standpoint, some of these conversations have gotten a little ugly and I think some of the users are under the impression that these users are absolutely representing the company. It's a sensitive thing for some folks. You absolutely don't deserve to be talked down to or walked all over, but you have to be careful of how you're dealing with these people as well. A simple "I'm sorry you feel that way. We'll look into that" will go a lot farther than opposing disrespect and snark with even more disrespect and snark.

All in all though, change is a difficult thing for some folks, but in the long run, I think things will wind up being better than they were before. There are just some growing pains, and really, that's to be expected.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    @Killervp, huh! Maybe it's just me? The difference is pretty stark, immediate pop-up when I'm DM, absolutely nothing when I'm a player, so I don't think it's a case of having to wait (like with the image embed)...
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Image upload much faster! Even with my ridiculously large library of images! Thanks Micah and crew!
    Belrathius- time to add that to the fixed list!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Here to help anyone- Send me a PM

Just trying to help out.

• deljohn
    deljohn
    Confirmed... Image upload is working!!! Thank you!

JohnD
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Images working for me too. Yay!
  • Sorceress
    Sorceress
    Yes! Absolutely beautiful work Micah and all. Thing is smooth as silk no more java error or nothing.
    Thanks

Sorceress
    GM of
    "The Hero Academy":https://the-hero-academy.obsidianportal.com/
  • Donegal
    Donegal
    I'm an ascendant member. When I change my color scheme it updates on the settings dashboard area but when I go to the main page or wiki the sidebar is back to the garish blue color. Any ideas on how I can fix that?
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Donegal, have you, by any chance, set the link colors in your CSS?
    If not, you could try @#content a {color:#HEXCODE !important}@ Just put in the hex code value for whatever color you want your links to be.
    and if you want a different color when you hover the mouse over them, you can also add: @#content a:hover {color:#HEXCODE !important}@
  • Craig_the_Lucky
    Craig_the_Lucky
    I've been reading through the posts and I've searched the forums - I don't know if anyone has posted these observations yet:

Maps - with the amount of space taken up above and below, my maps are just strips in the middle. And the "view original image" seems to be gone.

Wiki editing - the preview does not match the final product. I know, it's the same code. But, especially when using the Title fonts (H1, H2, etc) the preview is different than the actual.
  • nightstorm
    nightstorm
    I could go on and on why I don't like the new layout but why bother. The fact is I do not like it.
  • Hulksmash
    Hulksmash
    I joined the portal prior to the reforge and I held off on creating a campaign because I did not want to put a lot of work into it because of the impending site changes and I am not great with computers. I am looking at it now and I'll pass. I am not good with computers. there is much discussion of pro and con here which is good but to me there were people who brought up some real good points who were stomped on by the cool computer crowd. I took the time to read every post here and sure there were some angry ones but even those were not near what I have seen on other boards but it seems hands down the people who were responding to the criticisms were very patronizing and disrespectful in particular to Nestor but really to all those who voiced a non positive review. Many were outright challenged to be more specific when at least to me they stated their dislikes clearly and in most cases not disrespectfully. Its obvious that the people who don't have the vanguards skill with the computer aren't going to be able to "justify their opinion" to the satisfaction of not being made to feel small and be bullied for having a opinion that does not agree with the expert coders.

The design is not intuitive, I will have to do some coding to get the site to have the functionality that was present pre-upgrade, that is a fact. the default out the box pre forge portal I did not have to do any of that. I am sure I'll get ripped up for saying it but its true or at least its how I see it. if this is how those who voice critiques are treated by the people who are supposed to be helping why would I want to ask for help from them.

If no one else will say it sorry you were treated like that Nestor and others.
    Post edited by Hulksmash on
  • EugeneGM
    EugeneGM
    Hey, just wanted to say that I can't find the RSS feed option anymore. What happened to it?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    The RSS feed is one of the fixes that has yet to be implemented.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Here to help anyone- Send me a PM

Just trying to help out.

• Meagoinc
    Meagoinc
    I have finally started creating new wiki pages and messing with restructuring them (as opposed to just trying to get them to operate correctly), and have four further notes:
    1) For mysterious reasons, I can upload and insert images from Firefox, but not in Chrome. This occurs both on the Settings page and in the Wiki pages. I don't know if anyone else has that problem, though.
    2) a) The ability to size the images when you insert them is awesome! b) The image uploader is not as easy to navigate as before. The images in the gallery are way too big. I don't want to scroll, and scroll, and lose my place; I want to cast my eye and see things swiftly. This applies to most of the new formatting; large buttons and graphics are just not efficient or conducive to editing. The thumbnails are so large, in fact, that I i) had no idea how to insert the images because I couldn't see the insert thing appear below the thumbnail (I tried scrolling to the bottom, the usual solution and, because everything takes so much room, just whizzed by it the first few times), and ii) had no idea about the image sizing!! There must be a better way, and I would venture that the most efficient solution is making the thumbnails take up less space so the benefits of your new insertion system are more immediately apparent.
    3) The above critique also applies to inserting wiki page links in the editor. Each wiki page to be inserted is WAY too huge, and the amount of scrolling necessary really defeats the purpose of separating the adventure logs and Wikis. I really don't understand what was wrong with the previous manner of inserting things! I DO like that you have separate ways of inserting Adventure Logs vs. Wiki pages; useful when you have oodles of both. However, I do not need each wiki page to be inserted to be the equivalent height of _three lines_ of typed text PLUS another line of typed text's width in between. It is a step down in functionality from the previous editor.

Elsewise, the editor appears largely the same except what used to be small icons on the top of the editing page are now large and to the side, and now the text (because of the white-on-grey formatting) is immensely difficult to read. Neither seems an improvement, though I know it's still under construction (thank you for continuing to work on things!). Finally,

4) The fact that logged-in and logged-out members of the campaigns see different side-bars is making customization REALLY difficult for me. Yes, yes: I'll ask a Vanguard. But I was able to figure out the customizable menu bar before/ able to get pretty far with it this time merely with help from awesome people who posted CSS, (Ex: The Rise of Asmodeous by Davidnic and Sarahallis) and with my own trial and error (Thorvaldr usually fixes the errors if I get _really_ stuck >_> ). The different side bar stymies me, though, and just raises the entry-level bar for customizing your site that much more.

Thank you for listening!
  • hpb3
    hpb3
    As part of the reforge did we lose the ability to reply via email to campaign forum posts? When replying the email is bouncing. I've tried to search this thread to find the answer but I've been unsuccessful.
  • Langy
    Langy
    "I joined the portal prior to the reforge and I held off on creating a campaign because I did not want to put a lot of work into it because of the impending site changes and I am not great with computers. I am looking at it now and I'll pass. I am not good with computers. there is much discussion of pro and con here which is good but to me there were people who brought up some real good points who were stomped on by the cool computer crowd. I took the time to read every post here and sure there were some angry ones but even those were not near what I have seen on other boards but it seems hands down the people who were responding to the criticisms were very patronizing and disrespectful in particular to Nestor but really to all those who voiced a non positive review. Many were outright challenged to be more specific when at least to me they stated their dislikes clearly and in most cases not disrespectfully. Its obvious that the people who don't have the vanguards skill with the computer aren't going to be able to "justify their opinion" to the satisfaction of not being made to feel small and be bullied for having a opinion that does not agree with the expert coders."

I'm sure you're referring to some of my posts; I want to clarify something. I didn't intend to bully anyone. I think the closest I got was when I said people shouldn't expect a refund if they're unwilling to make use of the vanguard program; maybe it came off more aggressive than I intended. If I did come off as bullying or anything like that, I apologize.

Challenging people to be more specific was because I _didn't_ see their previous complaints as being specific enough, and I wanted to know _why_ people saw this as a downgrade, especially if something they saw as a downgrade was something that's in the middle of being fixed. Highly specific complaints are needed in order to be able to address them.

I still don't see why you'd need to do significant coding to get the site to have the functionality it did pre-reforging, unless you want to remove functionality that was added or you're talking about something that's been mentioned as being fixed. Since you haven't started your campaign yet, I'd suggest waiting a little while to see how the reforging shapes up - they're not finished tweaking things even though the site's now live, and they've been pretty fast at addressing any big issues people have.

Remember also that we're maybe only halfway through the reforging; a few things haven't been introduced yet, like natural editing and larger maps. Both of those should, hopefully, make things much nicer.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Thank you for fixing the embed image issue.

Now I don;t need to use a second site to pt images to embed!

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• madartiste
    madartiste
    Thanks to Dawnhawk, I think we might have some idea of what's going on with the wiki links and character links buttons not working for some people. It seems to be connected to having GM Only Characters and GM Only Wiki Pages. Just in case someone else is having this trouble...

"Here's the thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3476&page=1#Comment_27945
  • schiann
    schiann
    What is the status on making custom Adventure Log dates possible again? I've been using 2071 dates for my Shadowrun campaign (in planning so not a big deal yet).

It looks like a field has been added, but I can't type in it. I can copy and delete the date in the field and use the pop-up calendar to set a 2013 date, but I can't type anything new in the field.

I'm using Firefox 25.0 and Chrome 30.0.1599.101 on Mac OS 10.6.8 and Safari on iOS 7.0, so I'm wondering if it's been fixed for Windows but not for Mac.
  • LordMisha
    LordMisha
    Okay, since I am trying to clean stuff up before leaving OP, any reason the delete a campaign wouldn't be working anymore? It deleted a few and now I just get a 504 Gateway Time-out error. I have tried it in Firefox, Chrome and even IE, so it isn't browser specific. Just curious if anyone else had seen this problem?
  • MarkGiguere
    MarkGiguere
    @Micah, Dreadgazebo et al.

Any news on what issues you will be tackling next?
  • Donegal
    Donegal
    @madartiste

Thanks, that was it. But now I have to decide on making the sidebar look annoying or not having active wiki links highlighted in the main text area? Here is the code I was using. I stole it from somewhere on here and don't have any idea what any of it means except for the parts in plain english like the colors, etc.

/* REMOVES "HIGHLIGHTS" AND SPACE ABOVE BANNER */
    .campaign-public-layout .highlight-container {display:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #campaign-summary-row .row {opacity: 0.0; height: 30px}
    /* RESTORES PREFORGE TABLE FUNCTIONALITY */
    #content table {background-color: transparent; border-style: none;}
    #content tr:nth-child(even) {background-color: transparent;}
    /* RESTORE PREFORGE LINK COLORS AND BEHAVIOR */
    #content a:link {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:visited {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:hover {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:active {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:link.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:visited.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    #content a:hover.create-wiki-page-link {color:lightred;text-decoration:underline;}
    #content a:active.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean, Donegal. If you mean you want the wiki links in the main body of your pages (ie not the sidebar) to be a different color then try:

@.campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:visited {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:hover {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:active {color:darkblue;text-decoration:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:visited.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:none;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:hover.create-wiki-page-link {color:lightred;text-decoration:underline;}
    .campaign-public-layout #content .main-content a:active.create-wiki-page-link {color:red;text-decoration:underline;}@

The .main-content will restrict the css to being just the central portion of the page where all your content goes.
    Those last ones that have .create-wiki-page-link at the end I think are for styling links that are for wiki pages that don't exist yet.
    Post edited by madartiste on
  • Donegal
    Donegal
    Is there any way to get the character portraits/member avatars off the front page? It looks really stupid on my campaign.

And, how do I link my campaign in this forum? I don't see any link icon or anything.

My Frustrated Feedback to follow:

I guess I am fairly illiterate in these things but I guess this also goes to show that the reforge is extremely unfriendly to users like me. I have an extensive campaign (I can only guess at how many wiki pages...200 maybe) with no previous CSS at all. We were using OP 'out of the box' and it worked just fine. I didn't want any more functionality except for better maps and maybe better forums, but kept my mouth shut about the reforge because other people seemed to want it.

I backed the project in a big way (even though my name somehow didn't get included in the Reforge Heroes list which is just the proverbial insult added to injury I suppose) because I had faith in the OP team and had been very happy with the site for the years I was using it. Well, I didn't get either of the two things I wanted, in fact both of them are much, much worse than they were before.

I'm too invested in the Portal and have no technical skill to design and manage my own website/wiki so I guess I am stuck with trying to struggle through 'fixing' the reforge. So I suppose you have my money and get to keep me as a 'customer' but just to let you know if there was a competitor I could transition to easily I would and I certainly won't back any future projects on faith.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions