Stealing Jim's Idea (for a repository of sorts)

gaaran
gaaran
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Okay, so we've all seen Jim's "Gibson Institute":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1448&page=1#Item_8 ? I thought this was a fantastic idea, unfortunately I'm not too well versed in cyberpunk, other than playing shadowrun once or twice. Well, I was wondering what people thought about putting something like that together for general fantasy games. No rules included, just fantastic places, memorable NPCs, story-arcs, wars, battles, monsters, ideas for generic house rules, or any other ideas people come up with. I know I have characters and ideas that I'm proud of and would be honored to have other people use in a game, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. AND, we've all been there where we just needed something quick, and ended up just phoning it in. I think this would be a great way to do that, and I think it would be a fun little project to work on. I already have some idea of stuff to add to the list. If people are interested, I'd be more than willing to set something up. Your thoughts?

P.S. I'm not trying to steal Jim's thunder :), but I think this would be fun to have for multiple genre's: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk, Horror... A community created list of plug and play elements that we can all contribute to.

Comments

• JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I'll be in if you let me!
    Post edited by JimTriche on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    LOL, nice, I'm going to edit that, and yeah, sounds good, I haven't set up the page yet (too busy with Star Craft 2) but if we get enough interest, I'll set up the barebones of the site, and we can get going.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    whoa, weird, when I clicked on edit to change "Gibon" to "Gibson" it already was fixed, like it KNEW... that weird that it showed up that way... Unless YOU fixed it... which is the only thing that makes sense, since you edited your post too... Nice!
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I already did haha! I forgot I could.
    :P
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gibon Institute? Is this anything like Monkey University, home of the Fighting OOOHAAAHAAHAAHAAAAHAAAH!!!!!!!'s? Because if it is, I want to inquire about tuition.

I would be quite interested in contributing to this.

EDIT: JimTriche has magic editing powers?!
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Er, sorta. A couple few others around here do too now. Nobody has tooted a horn as of yet though.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Well, I might just be interested in contributing to such a project. I've got some NPC's and locations that I wouldn't mind sharing, but I kinda have my hands full with my two campaigns right now. If you'd be wiling to take the lead on this project and get the site established I'd gladly add to it.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I'm with Arsh. You set them up, I'll knock them down. So to speak. I'll contribute art, characters, languages, and concepts as this resource repository develops. Sounds fun!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Just beat Star Craft 2, so I'm going to work on getting something set up. Might take a couple days, cause I think I'm going to try to come up with a main page along with basic templates and header banners and stuff to keep everything looking organized. With at least you three on board, I'm sure we can put together something pretty slick with a good smattering of stuff ready for quick play.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    So an OP version of GM Gems? Totally in. I've tried to share a few things on the forums, but they really would be more appropriately housed as part of a campaign.

Edited to add: Florimel doesn't read the forums, but I know for a gosh-darned fact that anything in any of his campaigns is up for grabs, with the exception of PCs who aren't mine. I don't know if everything in his campaigns is in the EncYggd yet, and I do know (sadly) that a lot of his NPCs are currently just a name and a picture because I stopped nagging him about them. But if there is something there that you like, feel free to snag it.

Ditto for anything out of my "In Vitro" campaign, though right now the most unique contribution I can make is a very different take on the existing pantheon in 4th ed D&D.
    Post edited by FemmeLegion on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Okay, I've created the campaign, it's called "The Fantastinomicon":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-fantastinomicon

I know it's a little cheesy, but hey, that's okay! I'll be sending invite to those of you that were interested, and if anyone else has something they'd like to share with everyone, please send it my way, join the site, or let me know it some other way (ESP if you could, cause that'd be neat!). I haven't added any content yet, but I did set up the bare bones. Let's get this show on the road!
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey the Main Page looks pretty sweet Gaaran!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Cheesy? Bah! I think it's great!

Arshy is right. The main page is absolutely terrific.

Now, to figure out how to add elements that are non-specific to a particular game system...

I think my first elements are going to revolve around a sinister cult of alchemists that are notorious for kidnapping peoples of the world, seemingly at random, to experiment on them. I'll write up a page about the cult itself, then create some of the characters within the cult, perhaps a map of their hidden lair, and a math-free mini-adventure that people can plug into their own game system of choice.

Does this sound like what you're looking for?
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    This is definitely better than stealing Jim's idea for a suppository of some sort...

...giggles...
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    That sounds fantastic duskreign, exactly what I'm thinking. You could either put it all together in one entry, or add the elements piece meal, however you want! I'm going to add a couple things from my current game, which is totally fine if that's what you want to go, plus, we'll see if I come up with anything else! Feel free to add an "Organizations" link to the menu bar (I don't remember if I did, but i'm about to play more SC2, so priorities :P)

Lol Frank :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    StarCraft2 first, everything else a distant second. Understood.

I started to work on the cult's page itself. I called them the Alterist's Rite. I made sure to send an e-mail out to everyone involved in the site, and I welcome your input. I will add the Organizations link when I get home from work later tonight.

Thanks!

Duskreign.

P.S. - FrankSirmarco, yeeesh.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    bq. This is definitely better than stealing Jim
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Then, all their ideas pass through smoothly and painlessly....

This just now got gross.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Yes, it's true that the best idea just sort of flow right through you...
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hey here's a thought. Since there will likely be multiple users contributing to this site, and perhaps even more people borrowing ideas from the site, what do you guys think of the idea of each of us coming up with a personalized signature (a calling card) to add to the end of each post? That way people can easily keep track of who wrote what.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Applying that theory to the Gibson one, it wouldn't work all the time because so much is supposed to actually be encyclopediac, but for NPCs, locations and whatnot (things that would require their own page anyway), I'd like to see a contributed by: XXxxxx right near the top of the page.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Hey, good idea Sheesh! I'll add that to the front page as a suggestion!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I made my vanity plate as soon as I saw this post. Sweet idea, fellas!

We should steal more of Jim's stuff! This is working out great! I wonder if he has an iPod. I've always wanted one of those.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    :\

The sad thing is, gaaran's will take off a lot faster than mine will. Poor, maligned, non-popular cyberpunkiness. :(
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    That just happens to be the genre I am least familiar with, unfortunately. Though, when I am fleshing out the speederbike gang on Nar Shadaa in my Star Wars campaign, I plan on siphoning as many ideas from the Gibson Institute as I am humanly capable of. Heck, I might even clone myself so that I can be twice as efficient in this task, then murder my clone to sate my innate suicidal/homicidal tendencies! So, there's that!
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I have the same problem with Call of Cthulhu, Jim. Great gaming system, but not very well-represented on OP.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Sorry Jim! I didn't mean to steamroll your idea, I just got excited about the idea, and there it happened. :P I promise, maybe not today, but i will add something to your Gibson institute in the near future :). Cyberpunk maybe not be my most knowledgeable area, but I've played a couple shadowrun one-shots and read a couple books... :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaaran, I have added a few things, and I thought I would take some time to make banners for your contribution as well as FemmeLegion's work. I also uploaded a map. I think that tomorrow night, I might have a few characters and artifacts added as well. I am curious to know if what I am contributing is what you were looking for.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Keep it coming man, your stuff looks great and those banners are awesome, I sent you a PM asking for the font so i can use it as well, and give everything a kind of uniform look.

The stuff you've added so far is exactly what I was thinking when I stole this idea from Jim. In the next couple days i will be adding some more stuff as well.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I'm telling you, man. iPod.