Page Level Privacy Controls

Dungeon_Master_Loki
Dungeon_Master_Loki

Radio buttons would be great. I've got a campaign that I think has a solid shot at Campaign of the Month but I need to shield IP from public access in order to make it public. If there is any way to implement controls that would allow me to set certain pages to GM and Players Only, Friends Only etc. would be infinitely useful. 

As a game designer I need to tread more carefully around IP issues than most fo the GMs on OP. Merci in advance either way! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

Comments

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

I'll look into that for you and be back with an update asap, Loki! :) @dungeon_master_loki

Obsidian Portal Support Druid | [email protected]

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

You should have privacy options on your Ascendant membership, under your Settings > Privacy? @dungeon_master_loki

https://help.obsidianportal.com/article/119-who-can-see-my-campaign

Let me know if you can't find it! 

• ragnarhawk

Hi @vadercomplex, I am pretty sure that those options are campaign level, and I think that Loki is looking for page level controls.

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

@ragnarhawk @dungeon_master_loki Ahh, got it! I apologize for the misunderstanding. We did forward this to the team as well! :~) 

• thaen
    thaen

Hey @Dungeon_Master_Loki!

It doesn't seem like this feature would be used much by most of the members, so it likely won't get a high priority, but we have it on the list.

(If you are a member reading this and would like this feature, leave a comment to let us know, and that will increase the priority.)

But I think you can get mostly what you need with a Player Secret. Put a generic message in the normal part of the page that says something like "This page is only available to members of the Campaign." And then put all of the info you want private in a Player Secret, and just "check" all the Campaign members, so all of them can see it.

That way someone visiting the Campaign that isn't a member of the Campaign will see the generic message, but none of the private info.

I suppose if you wanted to get fancy with it, you could maybe use the "campaign-member" body CSS class to hide the generic message for Campaign members, and/or maybe style up the Player Secret so that it looks more like a normal page when the Campaign members visit it.

Post edited by thaen on

Obsidian Portal Developer

• ragnarhawk

Hi @thaen,

I know that this is something that I would use.  I have already used the campaign-member css to implement something like this.  Here is a link to an earlier request where I linked to a still earlier discussion where I provided some CSS:  https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/comment/47655/#Comment_47655

It has been requested by @Frak_Lou_Elmo and @NimrodYanai as well.

One concern that I have, and that has been mentioned by others, is that CSS hidden material can still be seen by someone editing a page (less of an issue if it is campaign-members only CSS)...  Regarding using player secrets, I know that my concern is that I have to re-edit all pages to add in the new player to the list allowed access to the page whenever I add a player.

I have used the CSS to hide material that was needed by players, but was part of copywrited material - like rules.  I know that the players need it, but that I should not share it with the public, yet I want people who are not yet players to be able to see the public face of the wiki.

Perhaps adding a "campaign-members" option to the player secrets options?  That would keep it dynamic, and also keep it from being visible on inspection.

• thaen
    thaen

@ragnarhawk, thanks for the details, and pointing out those other members that would want this. That helps!

I think that gives me a better idea. To do this, a GM could create a Private Campaign that only has the private data in it (the copyrighted material), and then link to the private pages from the Public Campaign. Then, the GM would only need to add the Player to both Campaigns, and the Player would have access to everything. And the GM wouldn't need to update any Player Secrets.

Thoughts on that?

Just to clarify what I meant on the CSS ... I think you're talking about hiding the private info with CSS, so that info could still be found in the page's View Source. I agree that's not a great solution. (Tell me if I have that wrong.)

Here I was just saying that if a GM was using the Player Secret method, they could use CSS to style the page so that it looked more "normal" to the Campaign members.

For example, the CSS could hide the "post-main" section if the "campaign-member" CSS body class is present, so the Player Secret section would be shifted up to the top.

You'd need some way to indicate that the page was a "private" page that needed to have the CSS applied.

Maybe if you named all the pages the same way, with the same prefix like "Secret ...", you could use the page's slug CSS class like "wiki-page-slug-secret-" combined with the CSS "starts with" selector? I think that could work.

But again, that's only if you want to do the Player Secret version. I think the "separate Private Campaign" idea is much better for this.

• Abersade
    Abersade

That seems like a lot of hassle for something that could be done much easier with Ragnarhawk's last suggestion.

Maintaining two sites for a single game means two sets of CSS (that likely won't match), needing to manage players from two different pages, players having extra games showing up on their profile pages, the recent campaign's list in the Campaign's dropdown being far less useful because this solution would effectively cut the list in half for those that use it, human error leading to either time wasted duplicating information or to intellectual property being exposed accidentally, the All Campaigns page ending up with what would appear to be a bunch of duplicated entries, etc. This proposed workaround is clunky at best.

On the main page of OP:
    "Obsidian Portal takes the pain out of managing your tabletop RPG"
    "EASY WIKI BUILDING - Build your campaign website with our easy to use wiki. Organize things in a way that makes sense for your game."

The proposed workaround of "Just build two campaign sites" fails both of the criteria mentioned above. Does it work as a workaround? Yes. That doesn't make it convenient and it certainly isn't a selling point.

Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

That reads a bit harsher than I intended. I apologize if the tone seems more frustrated than conversational, I can no longer edit the comment and even if I could I'm not sure what I could change to address that specifically.

Since I can't edit that post let me add some context here instead. This is an excellent suggestion overall and I specifically like the elegance (from a GM looking at the UI standpoint anyways) of the solution that Ragnarhawk proposed. My concerns with the proposed workaround stem from wanting the system to make sense to users so that A: They are aware that this use-case is possible and B: they can figure out how to use it somewhat intuitively. I recognize that not everyone will use it, or that everyone who wants to use it will figure it out without needing to ask for help, but teasing these details out is kinda the point of a suggestion thread and I think that this suggestion has merit.

Regarding the workaround involving creating and managing two games: I fear that things like duplicated media libraries where file IDs differ wildly between the two games will cause issues, as will linking between the wikis since it won't be as simple as the normal textile method of bracketing. Add on the other concerns I mentioned above. In my previous response I listed some of the selling points that are specifically listed on the website when you aren't logged in, like a new/prospective user would likely see the site. I brought those points up specifically only to highlight how this workaround directly opposes them. Since these selling points are literally a means to convince folks to sign-up (and ultimately go Ascendant) I thought that was relevant.

Hopefully this one reads a bit better.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• ragnarhawk

@thaen, I think that the latest news in this post:

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/6356/players-need-a-button-to-join-campaign-and-dm-s-need-invite-players-via-url

makes my suggestion for  "campaign-members" as an option for Player Secrets even more useful

• thaen
    thaen

@Abersade, @ragnarhawk,

Yeah, I like the "campaign members" option for Player Secrets idea. I've got it on the list to work on.

Sorry, I did a bad job of clarifying here. The workarounds were meant as "right now" solutions, since new features can sometimes get backed up behind other priorities.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Merci! 

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

I made a suggestion awhile ago about a 'fanclub' permission to separate players vs people following a campaign vs 'public' so that you can share content with people you approve to have follow your campaign > https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/6439/fanclub-permissions-to-let-non-players-see-spoilers/p1 ;

This might be a way to resolve the copywrite problem so that you can restrict certain IP sections to only people you've approved either as players or as 'fans' of your campaign?

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

That would be optimal, yes!

• thaen
    thaen

@Dungeon_Master_Loki, @ragnarhawk, @Abersade,

There should now be an "All Campaign Members" checkbox for the "Who can see this?" section of the Player Secrets.

Enjoy!  : )

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Ooh! Goody! And just in time for my new campaign!