Gender Options

KaydayMayday

Hi! I have a feature suggestion.

Instead of a binary choice between male/female, include an 'other' category where users can type in a preferred term. I'd like to put my non-binary NPCs into my campaign.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

Hey, @KayDayMayDay -- The "male" and "female" radio buttons are actually for the random name generator and they're intention was for if you want to generate a "masculine" or "feminine" sounding name. (Although, many of the random names end up interchangeable, in my opinion.) The development team was looking into ways to change how those buttons are displayed so that their function is more clear.

As far as I know, there isn't a spot to indicate genders or pronouns, so I would use tags or write it in the biography section, if I needed to show that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Kallak
    Kallak

As mentioned above, tags are indeed the best option attributing characteristics to campaign characters. Doing so lets you have as many options per category as you want, and lets you take advantage of OP's searching and filtering options (character quick search filtering, campaign search bar, tag-click searching).

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • kouject

I see this has been answered, but I'm just going to add my voice to the discussion in favor of an "Other" option!  It would be great to have a name generator with nonbinary/andro options as well, even though I've definitely taken "male" and "female" names for NPCs of the opposite gender.  But it does take a few clicks to really land on something that sounds like it could go either way or neither, so developing a neutral generator would be awesome!

• jodie
    jodie

Maybe just rename them to 'masculine names', 'feminine names' and add an 'any' at some point. Tbh I've never been confused about what the radio buttons do, but they do give me a little bloop of dysphoria now and then.

I've never used the feature myself - I don't love the amount of real estate it takes up for a one-use thing either. Presumably a lot of people do use it so just whipping it out isn't an option? 

• jodie
    jodie

Or sticking it in a default hidden details tag, that would be a nice lazy way to make it clear its just a one use thing associated with names. 

• thaen
    thaen

If I remember right, we did rename them, to "Male / Masculine Name", and "Female / Feminine Name", and made it a dropdown instead of a radio button due to this discussion.

I like the idea of hiding them, since they do take up visual space and yet are only a "one time use" thing.  Maybe if Name is blank (like when creating a new Character), then have it "expanded" and if the Name has been filled out, have it "collapsed".

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jodie
    jodie

lol probably you renaming them is where I got the idea from for the suggested labels. Derp.

Yeah that would work, making it visually clear that it's a tool rather than a part of the character would also be lovely for quick human parsing.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I like the idea @thaen

Just trying to help out.

• ragnarhawk

That does sound like a good change

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I'm in favor of it

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie, @GamingMegaverse, @ragnarhawk, @DungeonMasterLoki

Checkout the Character Edit page "Generate Name" and let me know if that's what you were thinking or not.

• ragnarhawk

I like it.  Subtle and smooth implementation in my opinion

• jodie
    jodie

That's very nice. If you have any extra time one of those lil triangle deelies that turn sideways on expand/contract would be grand, and maybe a box or indent to make it clear that the 'Character Generation' label is associated with those three form elements. But you probably have more majestic things to do.

• thaen
    thaen

I'm terrible at the "make it look nice" stuff.  If someone has some css/html they want to post here to polish that up, I can add it to the code.

• jodie
    jodie

Okay, here's my attempt. It needs the class 'contracted' to be added and removed from the name-link unfortunately, to rotate the little triangle.

#generate-name {

border: 1px solid lightgrey;

padding: .5em;

box-shadow: 5px 3px 3px lightgrey;

}

.generate-name-link:before {

content: ' ';

display: inline-block;

border-top: 5px solid transparent;

border-bottom: 5px solid transparent;

border-left: 5px solid currentColor;

vertical-align: middle;

margin-right: .7rem;

transform: translateY(-2px);

transition: transform .2s ease-out;

}

.generate-name-link,.contracted:before {

transform: rotate(90deg);

}

• jodie
    jodie

Aah I think I got the triangle the wrong way round. Could you rename it 'expanded' and apply the 'expanded' class when it's expanded instead?

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie, thank you!  *You* rock!  : )

Changes added to the code.  Let me know if you see any issues.

• jodie
    jodie

ooh spangly! Thank you <3

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Awesome!!

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0

Lol. Years of confusion finally cleared up. Amazing!!

• thaen
    thaen

Haha!  Glad you approve.  : )