canonical links

Frak_Lou_Elmo
Frak_Lou_Elmo

It has occured to me reading the obsidian portal patch notes that I may be making a booboo. I have on my main campaign the Front Page and Wiki as exactly the same. I did this because I think it is easier for a player or visitor to get straight into the meat of the content.

https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/

https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page

But now i realise I am creating a duplicate which is not good for SEO. I figure I should remove one of them entirely from the menu on the left. But which one?

I guess I cannot remove the front page or there is now place to end up if somoene goes to https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com so it would have to be the wikis/mainpage. If I remove this form the menu, i also have to delete the page or it is still a duplicate, but if I delete the page entirely, will it break any of the wiki pages? I dont think so but wanted to check first. 

and finally, what css do I need to remove one of the canonical links on the left?

Cheers,

Frak

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

Personally, I would alter the main-page/Home tab to be more of a "splash screen" or advertisement style page. It's where users land when they come to your campaign, so that's the page where you are making your campaign's "first impression" - so I recommend trying to use it to sell the viewer on becoming a reader/follower.

On my campaign, I put a nice graphic and the first paragraph or two of my first adventure log, with a "read more" link going to the log post so they can continue the read if I capture their attention/imagination. I've seen others do a brief rundown of the setting, or pose a "can the heroes save the world from...[insert]" question, and other similar things.

Make the home page your sales page IMO.

EDIT: Don't forget that your players will land on the dashboard first, not the home page or the wiki.
    Post edited by Kallak on
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

@Kallak has a good take on it ... use the Front Page as a "sales" page.

If you do still want to remove one of them, I think you have it right, you would want to remove the "Wiki" one (/wikis/main-page), because the Front Page is where visitors, including Google's search bots, will land.

To remove it, you would want to use the Custom Navigation, not CSS.  If you "remove" it with CSS, you would just be hiding it from human visitors ... Google bots would still see the hidden link.

Lastly, the system won't let you delete the "Main Page" (what the Wiki tab links to) ... the delete button is not available on that Edit screen.  But removing the link from the link structure of the page, so it can't be found is (in my understanding) enough to pull it out of Google's view.

All that said, this probably doesn't matter at all.  You're probably not getting penalized for it in any meaningful way.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• gastoff
    gastoff

I agree with @Kallak and @thaen to use the Main Page as a "sales" page for visitors to your campaign. As Kallak mentioned, you and your players will be directed to the Dashboard page if they use their navigation tool at the top of their account, and will only go to the main page or wiki if they type that url in.

For my Terror at Thrushmoor campaign, I threw up a brief campaign hook, then added an image that links to the wiki.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

Thanks for th advice all! I will rethink my concept for the frontpage. 

@gastoff how do you do that thing that your CotM graphic appears for a second before loading the page? I am busy working on my own graphic! :)

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I agree with @Kallak, @thaen, and @gastoff.  Front page should be "splash screen", "sales page", INTRO....

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

Ok, ok! front page concept rethought: https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/

• thaen
    thaen

Nice!!

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Kallak
    Kallak

I like it. Just enough to get some interest, and then direct them onward. Good job.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

thank you!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Brilliant work, @Frak_Lou_Elmo! I love the "Browse Our Library" link to the wiki pages.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member