Left Rail Modification

zalkabol
zalkabol

Hi,

First time poster, apologies if this replicates an answered question - I looked about (probably not enough) and didn't see an obvious answer to this.  

I'm running a campaign that has notable locations that players return to and I'd love to have that in the left rail navigation.  I realize I can, and probably should, just do it in the wiki, but I was wondering if there were a way to put it in the left rail?  Or if there is a place this is being talked about.  Or, if this is just dopey and I should just go use the wiki.  :)

(My players always forget the wiki for 'quick' items, which is the driver here.)

Thanks so much for taking a gander at this.

Best!

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

There isn't currently a way to edit the navigation, so you'll want to do this in the wiki. For something like what you're talking about - where it will be used regularly and you want it found easily, I would strongly recommend building a visual style interface for your main wiki page. Something like so:

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • zalkabol
    zalkabol

Thanks so much, Kallak!   What a great idea!  

Appreciated!

• gastoff
    gastoff

@Kallak,

Isn't there a way to pseudo-modify the Left Nav Bar using Custom CSS shenanigans? For my ToT campaign, I used CSS to hide all the icons and text for the left nav elements and replaced them with custom images. I feel like some CSS could also be used to place a custom URL over an existing nav element and placing it higher in the index stack. It would be cumbersome, but doable. Even so, the visual interface option you recommending is much easier and ultimately cleaner...Editing the Left Nav 'CAN' be done...but its almost not worth the effort.

• Kallak
    Kallak

@gastoff, you can definitely use the custom CSS input field to do some alterations (or even a wholesale replacement) to the existing navigation. However, there can be some serious drawbacks and limitations depending on what you are looking to do. If you wanted to do a replacement for instance (which I had on my first campaign for the longest time), you end up having to have a block of code to copy/paste on every page, and then you run into some serious problems if you need to make changes and have a large campaign with many pages. You also run into issues where certain areas of the campaign site don't give you an input field, and thus you can't have your menu on them (such as the character listing page, adventure log listing page, etc..)

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • thaen
    thaen

@zalkabol, welcome!

There's a feature request thread about this feature already:

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/5564/custom-side-menu-items

If you make a comment in that thread, then IF (no promises) we start working on that feature, we'll ask for feedback and beta testers there too.  The more interest we get on a feature request, the more likely we will be able to put some dev time on it.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

It may be worth investing time in building a location menu just on the front page instead. I used a box format for the wiki in Cold Truce and it's worked out well. Take a look at the more popular Portals and you'll find a lot of easier options than having to wrestle with the bear that is that side menu. It gives it a little more of a dynamic feel as well

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Kallak As someone who has a menu on pretty much every page, The easiest solution for the character page and Adventure Listing page is to do as I did, and make your own page. Now, for my own simplicity when editing, I left those on the side menu, but you can CSS them out from there and just have the only wau to access Characters, Items, Secrets, and Adventure Logs be via your own pages