Groups for player secrets

SkEyesOGrey
SkEyesOGrey

I have a campaign where membership may be changing relatively frequently and I use a lot of player secrets in the wiki. When players reach a certain rank in their organizations more things unlock. I also have a lot of lore that is only available to players (as opposed to the public) in the wiki.

I would like to be able to assign players to a group  and then give that group access to the player secret. As it is now, unless I'm missing a feature, I have to go to every relevant wiki page and add them to the secret individually. If I could assign groups instead, all I would have to do would be add the player to the group, and that would theoretically give them access to all the secrets that group could see.

Comments

• ragnarhawk

I am pretty sure that this is not currently available, but one way to implement this would be to create individual (private) wikis for each of the groups. You could then link from your main wiki to pages in the group wiki and back again.  Pretty sure that you could not do automatic lookup in one wiki for pages in another, but it would allow you to manage group permissions until such time as OP were to implement groups like you suggest

• Kallak
    Kallak

Awesome suggestion! I've added it to the development board for the team to look at. I can't control what things they do or when they do them, but I can at least put it up with a recommendation (which is now done).

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • SkEyesOGrey
    SkEyesOGrey

Thank you both.

• seanbyram
    seanbyram

Would love to see this feature as well. Have user roles/groups, and on any given page have the ability to control view/edit privileges for the whole page or for sections. So like a column of checkboxes under "View" and a column of checkboxes under "Edit", each group being its own checkbox so you can grant privs to multiple groups.

• thaen
    thaen

@seanbyram, thanks for the ideas!  You mentioned "...or for specific sections."  Can you elaborate on this?  Do you have an example?

There are multiple features in here.  If anyone wants to single out any one or more of these features as more important than the others, feel free.  The more interest we get in a specific feature, the more likely we will be able to reallocate dev time to working on that feature.

The feature to create groups of Campaign Members.

The feature to assign a Player Secret to a Campaign Member group.

The feature to restrict viewing of a specific entire page to a given Campaign Member or Campaign Member group.  Currently OP only has that ability for GMs with the "Entire Page GM Only?" checkbox.  The "Private Character?" checkbox sort of does that for Characters where it hides the Bio and Description and Character Sheet from other Players.

The feature to restrict editing of a specific page to a given Campaign Member or Campaign Member group.  Some of the Campaigns simulate this by using css to hide the "edit" button on the page.  And the Characters and Items are only editable by the Player who owns that Character/Item and the GM.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• seanbyram
    seanbyram

@thaen Oh, what I mean by "specific sections" is how there are sections of a page with different viewing permissions than the rest of that page, like the GM only section of an otherwise public page.

• thaen
    thaen

@seanbyram, awesome.  Thanks!  I think if you wanted to share some information in a GM Only section with one or more Players, it would make more sense to move that information to a Player Secret.  One benefit of the GM Only section is that it is intentionally not shareable with the Players so that the GM can't accidentally share something they didn't ever mean to.  Feel free to push back on any of that if you see it differently.

• seanbyram
    seanbyram

@thaen The GM-Only section was just an example of another section within a page, since you asked what I meant. Player secrets are another example. Was just referring to the use of having different sections within a page with different permissions than the rest of a page, which is existing functionality. Didn't mean to create any confusion.

With the role/group functionality, the groups could just be checkboxes along with player names you get when you add a player secret.

• thaen
    thaen

@seanbyram, cool, thank you for the clarification!