Download adventure log

dcgreenwood
dcgreenwood

Is there a way to download a campaigns complete adventure log?  Either to off, or html, or rtf?  Or anything?

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

Technically, you can get the information from the adventure log by way of the download campaign backup feature. However, it doesn't really come in a useable format. This is definitely something we should work to fix. I'll bring this up on the next team call.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Kallak. The Download campaign backup feature, as it currently exists, is nigh unto useless. PLEASE, have the programmers look at replacing this with something useful

• Kallak
    Kallak

This is absolutley 100% on our radar. I can't say anything else officially on this just yet.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

So glad- ever since the Reforge this feature has been frustrating...

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

Can you give us some background here?  What do you use the downloaded Campaigns feature for that it doesn't currently do?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I always wanted to put all of the logs into an ebook..... Did that for my players after we moved the campaign.

Just trying to help out.

• thaen
    thaen

Cool, the "ebook" sounds like what dcgreenwood was originally looking for, but @Keryth987 sounds like he's looking for something else?

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Due to COVID 19 quarantine and other factors, I'm testing the waters on returning to OP. The Spelljoined Campaign (Campaign of the Year 2011) is getting back together, and we could just pick up where we left off by using OP.. I must admit that my last experience on the platform has me a  bit leery, but I gather the new team is actually doing things. The reason I bring this up is that the broken download feature was a big reason for my departure a few years ago. Please add my voice to those who are asking that it be prioritized. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@DungeonMasterLoki, can you elaborate...in what way is the download broken?  When I have tried it recently, I was able to view the various parts of the campaign in the download file.  What's not happening that you are wanting?  We can't fix it if we don't get feedback on what to fix.

• weasel0
    weasel0
    Now that I can see comments again....Stupid 1Blocker changing comments rules on me...

It isn’t broken, as has been said, it’s just pretty much useless as it’s an archival info dump, not a useful backup. It’d be nice to have it download as separate full html code. Don’t have to be valid pages, but each OP page should be a file, possibly with the same name or slug.
    In turn this would allow for an import of a folder to OP with an old campaign or file changes made in batch that require by hand, 1 page at a time, time consuming edits currently.
    Post edited by weasel0 on
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Please note me as a big supporter of increasing the functionality of the backup! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• thaen
    thaen

@weasel0, thanks for the clarification!

Have you tried opening the xml file with Firefox?  It should display with tabs and give you access to each page of the wiki and the other portions of your Campaign.  (Note, it doesn't seem to work in Chrome, I'm guessing due to some security reason.)  I'm not sure if you were looking at the contents of the xml file and calling that an "archival info dump" or if you're saying this tabbed view is the "archival info dump".

Would you get any benefit from being able to download the pages each in a separate html file if you still wouldn't be able to import them?

At first glance, the "download, edit, and import" feature seems like a daunting feature to add because of all the fail-safes that would need to be in place that the "normal page by page" editing already implements and assures.  For example, I could see someone easily blowing away their entire campaign by accidentally uploading the wrong folder to the wrong campaign.  Not to mention that the import would need to be smart enough to strip out any parts of the html that are common to the site, and the user might have unknowingly/accidentally made changes to those common parts which would confuse the "stripper".  Which then means we would need some kind of detailed error listing to let the user "debug" their uploads.

If I'm just totally missing something here, feel free to say...

That said, if the only reason to want the "download, edit, and import" feature is to be able to do batch updates to a Campaign, what kind of batch changes might you want to make to a Campaign?  Maybe some specific Campaign wide updates are something we could support easier than allowing an entire Campaign import.