Public Campaign Forum Topics Beta Information

Kallak
Kallak
edited December 2020 in Campaign Portal Building

Hey guys,

Making a quick post to let folks know about a feature update currently in the beta stages. We've added the option to make campaign forum topics visible to the general public. This can be really good for play by post campaigns, letting users have journal entries outside of the adventure log, bluebooking, keeping meta information publicly visible but separate from the wiki, and so on. It's another way for you to make use of your campaign forum. Since it involves the campaign forum, this does require an Ascendant subscription, so be aware.

To publicize a post, one need only check the visibility checkbox and then save the topic. Publicly visible posts will display a "[PUBLIC]" label in front of the post's title.

At present, this is being tested on a "by request" format. If you'd like to be able to test this out, please post here or send me a PM and I'll have you added to the beta tester's list. In terms of seeing it from the public perspective, you can check out the To Buy a Fat Pig campaign. This is a play by post game that Jynx001 and I are playing which is being run by our good friend thaen.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll check our game out and give this feature a try.

EDIT:

Please be aware that the Forum tab which is displayed when you elect to have public forum topics is NOT the default Forum tab, but a different tab with viewing permissions situated for viewers not associated with the campaign that is also lapeled as Forum. This means that if you have custom CSS to style your tabs, you will need to style both the normal "Forum" tab (class name forum), and also the public "Forum" tab (class name public-forum). You'll need to keep a close eye on your classes, particularly if/when you are styling the dashboard version of the navigation as well as the campaign facing navigation.

Post edited by thaen on
All the best,
- Kallak

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

I am not in a play by post game currently- but this would have been awesome when I had been- this is great

Just trying to help out.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I'm digging it so far. Although, maybe it's just my code, does my forum tab appear as a blank space to anyone else? It is when I view it logged out

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

@Conan_Lybarian Yes, your "Forum" tab text is blank, for me. I'll show it to the team today on our call and find a fix. Thanks for testing it for us!

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Thanks @Jynx001 !

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

It's fixed! Thanks to @Jynx001 and @Kallak

• Kallak
    Kallak

I've updated the main post with some additional details to avoid this "blank" forum tab problem.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Our campaign group is probably going to run a Play by Post campaign soon.  I think I will keep it private for now, but it is good to see development, and I may view "To Buy a Fat Pig" just to see.  Will update on this thread if anything comes to mind.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I'll be really interested to see it! I've been finding more to read, and it really does seem more apprealing the more I've looked into it

• Vana
    Vana

Heyo! Could I grab access to this feature?

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Interesting! Could I please have access as we use the Forum for a couple of in-game items and spells :)

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Vana You should be good to go! @ElMuggs, Let me talk to the team to see about getting you set up :). 

Obsidian Portal Dungeon Manager || [email protected] 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

Okay, @ElMuggs You have been set up as well! A few quick things to keep in mind: 

• What this does is add a checkbox to the “New Forum Topic” and the “Edit Forum Topic” that says: “Visible to the public”

• Only the GM will be able to see this box, so other members of the campaign will not be able to set topics to public. This also doesn't currently allow public viewers to comment on the forums, so to them it will be visible but read only.

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Humm nope, doesn't work for me. - no checkbox appearing on new topic or edit topic.

However I'm thinking maybe it would be better if the permissions could be applied at the Forum/Subforum level as it's a bit odd for forums to have 'per forum thread' level permissions? 

That way it's a bit easier to administer as any forum threads made in those areas would automatically inherit the right permissions... and players will be at less risk of posting something in a public forum post by accident.

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Elmuggs Huh, that's odd. And not a bad suggestion. Let me look into this and I'll get back to you. 

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Cheers :)

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Elmuggs We did a little digging and it looks like I can see the box where it should be. Have you been able to see it? If not, have you tried logging out and back in? 

In regard to your suggestion, it is a good idea! The biggest road block is that we haven't seen much interest in this feature, so our energy has been focused on features/fixes that more of our OP members will utilize :). 

Our Dev did add a warning in a few spots to help avoid players accidently posting to the wrong thread. Next to the "Reply" button in threads, the "Save" button in the “Edit Post” screen, and near the “Reply above this line” line in the notification emails is now a note that says: "NOTE: This forum topic, [Forum Topic Name], has been marked as “Visible to the public” by the GM. Before posting, make sure it’s something you want to post publicly."

This will only show for forum threads that are marked "visible to public." 

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Ah I see what's happened - you applied the permissions to the wrong campaign!

Could you please apply it to my Domain of Dread Council Meeting campaign :)

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

I'd love access to this. One of my games is about to go  play by post

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!