Map change

Conan_Lybarian
Conan_Lybarian
edited June 2019 in Campaign Portal Building

I'm looking to update and improve my map, but had a question. I know I can put up a new one, but can I just change image I have? And if I can change it, do I lose my current markers? I don't have a ton of them yet, but it'd be obnoxious to have to redo them. On a side note, any suggestions on a good map maker?

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

You can't really change the map image, no. It might be a bit of a pain to recreate your map markers, but you can save yourself some effort by "editing" each one and copy/pasting the material in it into a notepad file or something that you can then use to quickly recreate them on the new map.

As far as map tools, Jynx001 did a couple articles on this fairly recently, so I'd recommend taking a peek. He did 40 Magnificent Mapping Resources, and then followed up with 27 More Mapping Marvels. Hopefully there will be something in there that works for you.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Thanks for the tips. I've managed to make a map I'm pretty happy with using Inkarnate and an online photoshop tool. I'll be putting in my markers and switching out my world map for something with a little more flavor!

• Kallak
    Kallak

Any chance you'll post a before and after? I'd be interested in seeing the improvements!

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Sure! I think I've still got the old one saved- I'll make it public. Just more interesting and with more definition. It was just kind of a blob before

Edit: Could only find the back up. It had a few region lines drawn and markers, but even with those it was really generic

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Quick, visit @conan_lybarian's Beholder Bazaar before it ends!

Just trying to help out.

• Abersade
    Abersade

I have to say, I think I love Inkarnate. I signed up for a one year Pro membership to try it out and honestly it works pretty well. It takes me roughly the same amount of time to draw a regional map on paper as it does to create it in Inkarnate and the results using Inkarnate look far more polished.

Inkarnate Examples here:

https://forbiddenempire.obsidianportal.com/

Hand Drawn Example here:

https://rise-of-the-durnskald.obsidianportal.com/maps/59591

Conan does raise a valid request though, it would be nice to be able to replace the map image without having to create a new set of markers, I'm thinking specifically for a World-of-Ruin style map change where the locations are essentially in the same spots but the topography has been drastically altered following some sort of event.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I've been really considering Pro membership, and you're yet another person to say it's worth it..... my poor wallet.... so many memberships.... so much D&D....

@Abersade has a great point. To take one step further, I'd love to be able to clone a map and the markers. That way you don't lose an original, but can still swap the map for topographical and political maps. I've seen some great examples out there, but I don't want to just make a jpeg then start over. Maybe I'm just lazy- but I call it  efficient lol