Map change

Conan_Lybarian
Conan_Lybarian
edited June 27 in Campaign Portal Building

I'm looking to update and improve my map, but had a question. I know I can put up a new one, but can I just change image I have? And if I can change it, do I lose my current markers? I don't have a ton of them yet, but it'd be obnoxious to have to redo them. On a side note, any suggestions on a good map maker?

Post edited by Conan_Lybarian on

Comments

• Kallak
    Kallak

You can't really change the map image, no. It might be a bit of a pain to recreate your map markers, but you can save yourself some effort by "editing" each one and copy/pasting the material in it into a notepad file or something that you can then use to quickly recreate them on the new map.

As far as map tools, Jynx001 did a couple articles on this fairly recently, so I'd recommend taking a peek. He did 40 Magnificent Mapping Resources, and then followed up with 27 More Mapping Marvels. Hopefully there will be something in there that works for you.

All the best,
    - Kallak

Inner Council Member
    CotM Selection Committee
    Writer/Editor - Words In The Dark
    Obsidian Portal Community and Content Manager
    GameMaster - Crucible of the Blacksoul (CotM for Jan. 2013)

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Thanks for the tips. I've managed to make a map I'm pretty happy with using Inkarnate and an online photoshop tool. I'll be putting in my markers and switching out my world map for something with a little more flavor!

• Kallak
    Kallak

Any chance you'll post a before and after? I'd be interested in seeing the improvements!

All the best,
    - Kallak

Inner Council Member
    CotM Selection Committee
    Writer/Editor - Words In The Dark
    Obsidian Portal Community and Content Manager
    GameMaster - Crucible of the Blacksoul (CotM for Jan. 2013)

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

Sure! I think I've still got the old one saved- I'll make it public. Just more interesting and with more definition. It was just kind of a blob before

Edit: Could only find the back up. It had a few region lines drawn and markers, but even with those it was really generic

• killervp
    killervp

Quick, visit @conan_lybarian's Beholder Bazaar before it ends!

Just trying to help out.

• Abersade
    Abersade

I have to say, I think I love Inkarnate. I signed up for a one year Pro membership to try it out and honestly it works pretty well. It takes me roughly the same amount of time to draw a regional map on paper as it does to create it in Inkarnate and the results using Inkarnate look far more polished.

Inkarnate Examples here:

https://forbiddenempire.obsidianportal.com/

Hand Drawn Example here:

https://rise-of-the-durnskald.obsidianportal.com/maps/59591

Conan does raise a valid request though, it would be nice to be able to replace the map image without having to create a new set of markers, I'm thinking specifically for a World-of-Ruin style map change where the locations are essentially in the same spots but the topography has been drastically altered following some sort of event.

• Conan_Lybarian
    Conan_Lybarian

I've been really considering Pro membership, and you're yet another person to say it's worth it..... my poor wallet.... so many memberships.... so much D&D....

@Abersade has a great point. To take one step further, I'd love to be able to clone a map and the markers. That way you don't lose an original, but can still swap the map for topographical and political maps. I've seen some great examples out there, but I don't want to just make a jpeg then start over. Maybe I'm just lazy- but I call it  efficient lol