Obsidian Portal - Changes and Updates for 2018

Comments

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

Screen cap, removed banner, removed all CSS, cleared cache, restarted browser:

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

Logged off, logged on as a different user (with admin rights to my campaign) and it's still broken. crying

Opened a support ticket frown, not sure what good it will do, I'm not sure anyone is reading them.

• cgregory
    cgregory

From a quick look at your screenshot it looks like you aren't getting the site's base css for the markItUp class and the markItUpEditor class.  Your markItUp class looks like it has a width of 100% rather than 80% and your markItUpEditor seems to have a height much less than 320px.

You could try adding the following to your css (I can't be sure of the exact css without seeing an affected campaign myself), but I tried changing my css in order to make mine look similar to what you posted.

.campaign-textarea-container #markItUpPost_body, .campaign-textarea-container .markItUp {

width: 80%;

float: left;

margin-bottom: 0;

}

.markItUpEditor {

padding: 5px;

width: 690px;

height: 320px;

clear: left;

display: block;

line-height: 18px;

overflow: auto;

}

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Hey Carl,

You seem to be right about things happening on some sites and not others.  I just checked two of my other sites and SEARCH function, EDITING and PREVIEW BUTTON are all working normally.  Yet I have tried my current campaign "Mysteria" again 12 hours later and the same issues persist.

sad

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• cgregory
    cgregory

I've gotten a chance to look at a campaign with no issues with the edit screen and one with the issue with the editing screen and here is some of what I've found.

In a functioning campaign, the html looks like this.

On a non functioning edit screen the html seems to be calling up a different.

It doesn't have the various markItUp classes and my guess is the javascript for the buttons would also be different. I'm wondering if that is some of the pre-reforge code?

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

I updated my support ticket, @cgregory, thanks again for your help.

Dennis

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Strangely enough, this most unwelcome and debilitating change does not seem to have been announced, so I will keep my sarcasm to myself.

angel

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

For anyone else experiencing the new issues described above with SEARCH, EDIT and PREVIEW not functioning properly, I have submitted two tickets to KS IT HELP DESK.

Ticket 4113550 details the SEARCH Function not working properly (with screenshots of WORKING, NOT WORKING and ERROR 500 page)

Ticket 4113551 details the EDIT Function not working properly (Window not opening up) and PREVIEW not functioning.  (Screenshots have been sent with this email as well).

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

My ticket 4113446, Covers screen shots from editing screen and the fact the the buttons (linking) do not work, also included @cgregory analysis of the issue.

• pidmaster
    pidmaster

I am having exactly all of the same issues that joeschmoe998 is having.  Been like this for at least a week.  It is now nearly impossible to use/maintain my campaign. 

I'm tinkering with building my own website at this point.  One where I can create articles and tag them and search by tags and keywords as a BARE MINIMUM.  I'd rather use something rudimentary that at least does those things than use OP as it currently 'functions'.  Hoping I can write something to import my campaign backup data, otherwise I'll be populating it manually I guess.  Still worth it either way.

Unless of course all these issues can get fixed soon.  We'll see if that happens faster than I can finish my little side project.

• Bortas
    Bortas

Wow, this community never ceases to amaze me - cgregory: hell yeah man! Nice damned find! That's the kind of support information a developer would kill to get from a tester (or an end user). Its unlikely we will ever figure out what portion of code is causing it, but this is a helluva starting point for a dev to start investigating.

-bort

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

Still no response from the support desk on these issues.

Anyone surprised?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    THANKS!

Hey joeschmoe998, I just want to report that the issues I was having with my site "Mysteria" have now been fixed, so I hope yours are too.  It's good to have my SEARCH, EDITING and PREVIEW functions back to normal.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Ooops!

It's stopped working again.  Hopefully someone is still tinkering and things are restored again soon.  it was so nice to have things working again.

I'll check again tonight and report if there are any changes.

wink

Inner Council Member

• Bortas
    Bortas

Dang, I was about to go check it out. Server's down.

-bort

• Tiaslin
    Tiaslin

I got all the mentioned problems as well, though the broken edit pages/windows only started to be permanent for me as of today. It's a mess, I actually completely rely on this page for my campaign, this needs to be fixed, or I'll have to find an alternative

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

@twiggyleaf, @tiaslin. Finally got a response from support that was not an autoresponse. :)

Mind you my site's still not working correctly (search is still down) and the embedding buttons are fubar, and the tags still don't work, but at least someone there read my ticket.

• OPAdmin
    OPAdmin

Hey All!

@twiggyleaf thanks for the note to check in, I tried to reply to your email but it got bounced back, was glad to read that your issue was resolved.

@kallak, thanks for your patience with me on getting you back into the blog.

We did go down today, which was announced on social channels (Twitter/Facebook), didn't get the chance to post here until now, but we resolved it around 11:30 am EST, my apologies for this, our dev team noted that this was a new issue and it has been patched but we are still digging into the root cause of it.

I have posted all the noted issues on our project tracking software and we are  in the process of looking for and bringing on an ROR developer to finally start correcting these long standing issues with the avatars, notifications, speeding up processing times for maps, tags/search functionality and the pesky media library.

The knight in shining armor that helped us with the patch this morning could be the hero we've been looking for, I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of whether he can step in to at least help with the core concerns. 

We have Katherine back in support for the moment and she has been reviewing and working with me on support tickets, she's not super tech savvy so please be patient as she needs to escalate a lot of these issues in order to get help on how to test and reply back to them.

The removal of the forum with issues was before my time, I prefer to stay transparent with things that are going on within the site, so I'll keep it that way so we can proactively address the problems as a team.

My apologies for being absent in the last month, since Katherine has stepped back into support, I've been primarily behind the scenes working to bring on the power needed to move things forward.

Hope everyone had a wonderfully loving Valentine's Day, or as I like to call it "Spread The Love Day", that being said we should spread love everyday because frankly it makes life much more enjoyable.

Much appreciation to all of you for reaching out and being patient with us. Please don't hesitate to post any questions, concerns and comments. Now that we have someone at the support helm please use that outlet and stay tuned as I will be posting updates as they happen.

Thanks again everyone!

Jameela

• Tiaslin
    Tiaslin

So, on first look, the editing formulars in the wiki seem to work again, which is the most important issue there. Thx Jameela for helping us out there :)

As for tags...well that still doesn't work, but thats "acceptable" for a while still, at least we can get back working on our campaigns again^^

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

@jameela, @OPAdmin, my editing is still broken, none of the linking buttons work (have a ticket # 4113446 opened with support for 6 days now). Gotten some responses after repeated emails into the support desk, but no fixes yet.

• whiter73
    whiter73

As of 12:09 PM Eastern Time on 2/15, it looks like the site is down again.

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

503 error, temporary or maintenance of servers.  (Hopefully temporary AND maintenance).

• Bortas
    Bortas

Just shy of an hour site has been completely unavailable for all tasks not forum/help.

-bort

• Bortas
    Bortas

And now it isn't giving the 503 error, it is simply timing out as if server is offline.

-bort

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

I'm still getting the 503 error. No information from @jameela@OPAdmin,either, eh?

• Bortas
    Bortas

Nearing the two-hour mark - I'm showing the site resolving again, back to 503 errors. Slightly better than the server being completely offline, I think ;-)

-bort

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

My site is back up, still broken, but up.

crying

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

JammelaM

Good to hear you are back and thanks for the update.

Although I did report yesterday that my site functions had been restored, this only lasted for about 30 minutes.  The same functions are now back to "NOT WORKING".

crying

Inner Council Member

• Ganny
    Ganny

So, I do want to add a couple notes regarding the editing/preview/image uploading errors we are seeing. I pulled this from attempting to edit an adventure log I wrote for a campaign I am in, which is also affected by this. Notably, I went in and attempted to edit the adventure log in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge to see if browser had an effect on what happened in terms of errors generated. Surprisingly, it did! Notably, I did clear cookies/cache to the beginning of time to verify that it wasn't on my end.

Chrome gave some very detailed warnings and errors, as noted below in the snippet:

Firefox gave me the following (notice that my little side menu has loaded here):

And Edge gives me the following (notice that the side menu has loaded here as well, meaning its a problem with Chrome):

Not sure how useful this will be, but at least it shows the problem is entirely server side. Also, that OP will need to update to be inline with Chrome's standards, or more stuff is going to break when OP is loaded on Chrome.

• joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998

I'm getting a similar json http 500 error loading the editing page for a wiki.

GET https://dennis-greyhawk.obsidianportal.com/content_summary.json 500 (Internal Server Error)