5th Edition D&D - General Discussion

UselessTriviaMan
UselessTriviaMan
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
A discussion thread for those who run and/or play 5th Edition D&D.

I don't (yet) have much experience with 5E, but I played it a few times before kicking off "my own campaign.":https://ptolus-city-by-the-spire-by-bryan.obsidianportal.com/

So far, I really like what I've seen. I was one of the 3.5E hold-outs for a very long time (I never touched 4E), but this edition seems to have addressed and fixed many of the problems from other editions.

What do you think of the newest edition?

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade
    I don't have much experience with it yet but I like most of what I've seen, I do have some concerns with leveling speed (seems fast) and the lack of support for PC monster races (which I tend to use extensively).

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

So now that I've gotten a couple of years' 5E experience under my belt, I have to say I'm loving this edition. It's not perfect of course, but the combat system is far more elegant (and generally faster) than in previous editions.

However, my table is still only fifth level, so I haven't yet seen what higher-level combats will be like. I know it'll get more complex, but I'm still digging it. Even this far in, I have zero interest in moving on to some other system.

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Kallak
    Kallak

I haven't run a campaign in 5th yet, but I played in one, and I'm interested in your combat-is-faster statement UTM. Do you mean in terms of the per-round activity or in general? Because for our group it seemed as if overall combat was slower due to the lower scaling of damage output but consistent (from previous editions) in terms of hit points - at least at the higher levels.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Omegabase
    Omegabase

I skipped editions 2-4 (a 30-year break).  Got the 5th edition this year and have greatly enjoyed reading the books and tweaking the rules to suit my old-school group.  Here are some house rules I've come up with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanearth

Gammaworld 2754

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

@Kallak - I actually prefer running low- to mid-level games, specifically because high-level combat just takes so long to resolve. I actually don't have any experience with high-level 5E yet.

But it seems to me that the combats in 5E are just more... elegant. Streamlined. Smoother. Especially when compared to 3E, 4E, or Pathfinder.

I've still had nights where the entire session was spent in combat, but that's now the exception rather than the rule.

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

I haven't moved on to 5e, but understand your preference to running low to mid-level games. I've moved away from level based games do to the issues when you have high level characters as far as them becoming very powerful. Moved to BRP due to how the combat can be deadly. Not that I'm looking to kill the party or even a single PC, but I've found my players tend to take more care when playing BRP than when playing level based games.

I have looked over the books for 5e, just really am not interested in running it. I might play it one day though.

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life