Gender selection on D&D 5e character sheets

devilpants
devilpants

I'm running a D&D 5e campaign and noticed that the character sheet has a checkbox for gender with only two options. I think it should instead be a blank space that can be filled in with the player wishes, not only because of inclusion, but also because there are fantasy or science fiction species that might have no gender, or more genders than just male and female. It's just a little thing that didn't actually bother me until a good friend of mine who is also trans joined my campaign and pointed that out to me.

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory

Hi Devilpants,

The gender checkbox is not for the character's gender. It is a box to generate a male/female based random name. Many people confuse get confused by those checkboxes. I know i did. Gender is probably not the best label they could have used.

Generate a couple random names and you will notice this. Also you'll notice that regardless of what you pick it doesn't show up as part of your actual character sheet.

The DST character sheets typically have a blank space to be filled with your character's gender.

Post edited by cgregory on

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• devilpants
    devilpants

Well now I feel extraordinarily silly for suggesting this. Thanks for the quick reply!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Don't worry devilpants, you're most definitely not the first person to be confused by the Male-Female radio button check boxes on the character page. :-)

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith