Obsidian Portal has no Wikipedia page!

Comments

• NikMak
    NikMak
    Thanks Mae. Please feel free to edit the wiki draft directly as well, Im not precious about these things, and afaik, it was your suggestion to make a wiki page in the first place!
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    I got the following reply from the reviewer

"Comment: Regarding your comment, the article has several sources and that's good but still add any more that are available overall. Cheers, SwisterTwister talk 07:02, 4 November 2015 (UTC)"

so as you can see it looks like we are nearly there, but need more/better references. I have added in the two Mae suggested.

Are there no public records of the incorporation or annual reports for obsidian portal? ( as I am not a US citizen I dont know where to look for these things "across the pond", but perhaps one of you colonial types would know? ;) )

Are there no hard copy, reputable newspaper articles that were written? surly Micah or someone must have had their local newspaper round to talk about their communities latest '.com-hero'?

Also if kaleidoscope make an announcement about the purchase of the company on their site that can help. perhaps we can make more use of the OP blog as well? im not sure how much cross over there needs to be on those.

any and all help most welcome folks!

Cheers

Nick
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Bump -

as we have contact with the powers that be once more - if Im going to get the OP Wikipedia page up and running, I need more/better references. Has Kaleidoscope made any public announcements about taking over OP that i can reference?

does anyone out there have a robust (peer reviewed or a local newspaper type report that can accessed and referenced) that refers to the existence of OP as a real thing (preferably a thing that is in someway significant to the RP hobby/business and so worthy of a Wikipedia page of its very own)?
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks for taking the lead on this, Nik.

If you go to news.google.com, it searches google-recognized news sources and a search for "obsidian portal" will pull up a bunch of links that can be summarized and cited on the wiki page.

Here is a link to the search results page for "obsidian portal":https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=obsidian+portal&oq=obsidian+portal&gs_l=news-cc.3..43j43i53.549.1943.0.3177.9.6.0.0.0.0.448.2433.3-4j2.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.KJyFKxwedL8#hl=en&gl=us&authuser=0&tbm=nws&q=%22obsidian+portal%22
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Hi Andrew. thanks for that.

my main issue is that the references we have to date are not quite good enough to pass the minimum threshold for getting the wiki page published. All the references found to date are fairly niche web based resources. We need something a bit more official and permanent. Ideally something in print (e.g. news paper article), or a legally binding document (transfer of ownership certificate perhaps) that is in the public record.

I have had no luck so far and the the google news search isn't finding that for me either.

I dont know how it works in the US, but here in the UK we have a government organisation called 'companies house': all business need to registered with them. Is there something similar in the US that I can use to get a verifiable, independent proof that obsidian portal exists and kaleidoscope own it? i think even that will be enough to tip the scales enough in our favour that i would be happy to re-submit the article.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I don't understand that "minimum source" to get a wiki page.

Its obvious that Obsidian Portal exists.

???
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    existence on the web doesn't make you worthy of inclusion in Wikipedia, you have to be significant/useful/ interesting in some way. Take a look at the wiki page draft and you will see that the feedback after our first rejection is that we need more/better references (which i interpret as failing in the 'significant' category).

looking at Wikipedia guidelines, the references you can have are ranked (as you would expect) with peer reviewed journals at the top, and forum comments on here or RPG.NET somewhere near the bottom. A public access legal document (like a certificate of incorporation) or a newspaper article that was in print (and so subject to the rules and guidelines of the printed press) carries a lot more weight. Alternatively we can keep looking for more and more web based references. I dont know what the ratio is; but sooner or later there must be enough web based references to tip the balance in our favour....
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    @ Is there something similar in the US that I can use to get a verifiable, independent proof that obsidian portal exists and kaleidoscope own it?@

The only thing I can think of is proof of incorporation (the thing that makes it ", Inc." or "LLC"). I'm nowhere near educated enough on the business world end of things to know how to look that stuff up, though.
    Maybe the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has something?

As you say, NikMak, the best thing might be some official Kaleidoscope acquisition paperwork or reported-on trade deal, and/or maybe even something from a financial news source?

EDIT: What about taking it through the ENnies route? It's affiliated with Gen Con, the ENnies have their own (albeit small) page on Wikipedia, and we could model from other existing pages from Wikipedia that link on the ENnies lists. (Side note: Indie Press Revolution has its own page, but DriveThruRPG doesn't...makes you wonder what the standards really are, huh?)
    Post edited by Maesenko on

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• NikMak
    NikMak
    we already reference the ENnies, several times, through the Wikipage and also the main page for awards; sadly that was not considered good enough.

as for the standards for inclusion... yeah. My guess is it depends which Wikipedian moderator you get. Looks like we got one who is very thorough! The down side is that its harder to get into the wiki, but the upside is that if/when we do get there the page will be better for it, and more likely to stay there for a period of time. Especially if it becomes the seed for a series of articles on electronic support for table top gaming, as i hope it will. That is a subject that deserves its own wiki page as well.
    Post edited by NikMak on
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Yeah, sorry about that, 4am typings and I didn't think to check back to the wiki page at the time to see.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• NikMak
    NikMak
    No worries, im glad this thread is getting some attention again - what I'm really hoping for is some feedback from andrew38 (*nudge*) regarding publicly available, registered records that we can reference, or some other business minded US citizen who can advise me how to proceed: FYI I've not taken a look at the 'Better Business Bureau' yet, its on my todo list! :)
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Holy crap! Might not be usable, but check out the "Wayback Machine":http://archive.org/web/web.php and search obsidianportal.com

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Basileus
    Basileus
    LOL, that earliest capture of OP Beta back in 2007 is priceless! I want to play in the Beertopia campaign.
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I like that Obsidian Portal logo though...
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    No SkidAce! Say it ain't so! You like that logo!?
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I like the use of Papyrus - AKA the Greatest Font Known to Mankind!
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Im with skidace (if we are talking about the black sun logo) i like it too, much better than the dragon :)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I like the dragon.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• NikMak
    NikMak
    Our blacksun is 1337 and owns your n00b dragon like a boss! ;)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I like the dragon- and it has been part of OP for a long time...

Just trying to help out.

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    I don't mind the black sun (though it's not all that great) the papyrus kills me, all my schooling has taught me to despise it. (Though I prefer the dragon over the black sun, it has a more cohesive design)
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    /whispers

...but the black sun is actually obsidian...
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    bq. the papyrus kills me, all my schooling has taught me to despise it.

@Lxcharon: What?! That's it! You go on the list! >:(
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    That is hilarious, thanks for the laugh....
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• NikMak
    NikMak
    ok, so as part of a work related thing, i was talking to the guy who was (still is?) the official 'Wikipedian in residence for the royal society of chemistry' and the short version of what was discussed is we need two independent, reliable references to get a wiki page over the 'notbality' hurdle

until we can find those two references (news article, journals article, reference in books published by significant publishers, publicly available legal documents or something equivalent) we will not get the wiki page up for OP.

If you want the offical policy guidelines "they are here":https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_answer_to_life,_the_universe,_and_everything
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    hi all,

as we have not managed to find independent, preferably printed, reference sources of high enough quality in time; the draft wiki page is now scheduled for deletion.

If the folks at Kaleidoscope ever want to get a wiki page up and running (and help increase their own income stream from the site?) I suggest they do a couple of local press interviews and get some details in print.

I will keep a copy of the draft wiki page, and of course we can try and re-create it in the future if we ever get some more reputable references to justify the creation of the wiki page. if any one wants a copy of the the wki page themselves take a look over at "Wikipedia":https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Obsidian_Portal and make your self a copy (click the edit tab if you want to keep the original code)

it was fun learning to create a wiki page, and I am now applying that skill in work - so not a wasted experience for me at least :)
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Hi NikMak
    It might be a good idea to suggest OP use your draft for their About page.
    I don't think they have one right now and it would be a good central place for the info.

--
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":swtwc.obsidianportal.com - The family is found, except ... the mystery deepens.
    "Dwarves of Koldukar":dwarves-1.obsidianportal.com - Trunau!!
    "In a certain realm":inacertainrealm.obsidianportal.com - Where Faerun meets Russian myth.