Nominate COTM Here!

Comments

• Basileus
    Basileus
    I believe that originally, the rules of COTM were basically "whatever campaign Micah and Jerry liked that month". Folks would "nominate" on the forums and such, but it wasn't anything formal (basically just to call attention to campaigns people liked). Some of the "rules" are just common sense/traditions (nobody ever was picked twice, and COTY was always from among that year's COTMs). It probably had more to do with showcasing the site's capabilities than picking the "best" campaign around at any given time.

Maybe some guidelines need to be codified, but I personally would be sad to see COTM go from an informal "hey, that's neat" kind of thing to some complex, formal competition where we declare that one campaign wins/is more valuable than the others.

Of course, if we get back to having a Community Manager who is actually part of the community and not just a ticket handler, that would solve a lot of this...

#Killervp2016
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    A point against my idea would be picking an overall COTY would mean that campaign would miss out on a COTM highlight.
    So, what we have works pretty well then. Carry on. Anything else would probably just over-complicate for no real big benefit.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    From Basileus: " I personally would be sad to see COTM go from an informal “hey, that’s neat” kind of thing to some complex, formal competition where we declare that one campaign wins/is more valuable than the others."

I am totally with you on this point.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Winner has been chosen, interview is being conducted! Get your votes in for May here!!
    Victor aka killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Congratulations to Adoraith and crew. Time to get some fresh campaigns nominated!

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    If anyone has new nominations, they will need to be submitted here by end of day tomorrow.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Hey everyone, we love all the campaigns here on OP and enjoyed the opportunity to explore and spotlight them. Unfortunately, the "People's COTM" group will not be able to continue spotlighting a monthly campaign for the time being.

That said, I suppose anyone is welcome to start a periodic article highlighting campaigns on OP (you could even do a theme). Just reach out to get buy-in from Kaleidoscope and then coordinate with Kallak with regards to publication on the Blog.

Thanks for your nominations and to everyone who put together awesome campaigns!
  • Adoraith
    Adoraith
    This is very very sad. Even with all of my difficulties this month with the subscription status I would hate to see this happen
  • HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Very sad indeed. What happened? Why did it not work out?
  • Tokobauzsos
    Tokobauzsos
    That's unfortunate. CotM was one of my favorite features of Obsidian Portal.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    NOOOOOOO...just when I thought we were a contender.
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    very sad to hear. i really enjoyed the interviews; it was a great format to get an insight into other peoples games.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    There are/were different things affecting the various folks in the group running it - wouldn't say there was any single reason. Mixture of unexpected organizational difficulties, folks moving on to greener pastures, technical difficulties didn't help (as experienced with Adoraith's campaign).
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    would it be possible to organize it on a less frequent basis?

maybe a 'campaign of the season' (with a winter/spring/summer/autumn 'seasoned campaigner' badge no doubt - additional annual income of 5 Quatloos for life if you get all four ) , or even just keep the campaign of the year?
    Post edited by NikMak on
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Its a great idea - seasoned campaigner badges are brilliant!

That said, I can't speak for everyone individually, but the current group is not able to do this.

We're as disappointed with this outcome as anyone, we started People's COTM because we really liked this feature of OP and missed it greatly.
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • Adoraith
    Adoraith
    Seems like things were improving by leaps and bounds until recently. I think before any attempt is made at re-reviving the award there should be an understanding of what specifically has gone wrong to the current group.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I agree with Adoraith.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I second the second.
  • HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Losing CotM is a tragedy because it showcases the heights the product of OP can be taken to. Seems to me it is in their best interests to keep it going if for nothing else but the good will it engenders.
    Post edited by HumAnnoyd on
  • OPSupport
    OPSupport
    COTM will continue. A meeting has been scheduled for next week to discuss May nominations.
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Can we get April's fixed first?
  • OPSupport
    OPSupport
    I assume you are referring to the COTM badge/date issue, which was reported here:
    http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/20371-cotm-badge-on-campaigns-page

If so then yes, the issue is on the team's radar.
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Yep. That's it. Only keep pointing it out as Andrew was able to manually change it while the bug behavior behind the mechanic got wrangled.
  • OPSupport
    OPSupport
    I've looked into it, and from a support/admin perspective there is no option to make a change. It is possible that previously the development team issued a one-off fix. This bug is a priority and will get resolved properly.
  • OPSupport
    OPSupport
    We've adjusted the date for the April campaign so we no longer have two march campaigns. Moving forward for COTM/COTY, to actually feature a campaign and make the change on the website, all that needs to happen here is for our COTM/COTY lead to drop a mail and get a request filed at [email protected]

Our team will make sure the campaign is featured properly (including having the date set right). We're all looking forward to the victor for May!

Thank you

OP Support
    Post edited by OPSupport on
  • HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Nice! I look forward to the May selection.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    May's selection has been picked and is in the process of being intervie3wed and placed up on the site.

That means everyone get your nominees for June's Campaign of the Month in here ASAP

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Folks

The nominations for June's CotM award are now closed. The winner of June will be announced shortly.
    In the meantime, please feel free to make any nominations for July. The closing date for July Nominations will be Mon 20 June 2016.

Good luck folks!

twiggyleaf
    CotM May 2016: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Just one week left for any new nominations, folks!

twigs
  • saethone
    saethone

Wierd, I made a post here yesterday but seems to have been lost. Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up that the last nomination we received before the boards reset was July 10. If you nominated a campaign in the last few days, please repost it so we can be sure its added!