502 Bad Gateway

Comments

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Hi all,
    Sorry to hear that, could you head to the "tech support ticket":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/17190-keep-getting-500-502-or-504-errors and enter your details?

If you can include:
    1) the url where the error occurred
    2) the approximate time
    3) what you were doing when it occured

That will help accelerate the debug process.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Did that as soon as I posted this here Andrew. Not a problem

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• andreww38
    andreww38
    As 500/502 is a generic error, the root cause may either be:
    1) software
    OR
    2) hardware

We're not seeing many more errors in the error logs (aside from bookmarked campaign urls with illegal characters like spaces, underscores and á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ), so it may not be software anymore.

We're doing a round of hardware audits, it may be CPU cycles and/or ram or something else.

I'll post an update once we have more data.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    More errors again today- posted one.

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    FYI, this issue is being looked at.

As 500/502 is a catchall error message for "the server was unable to process your request", the tech team is doing a thorough diagnostic of hardware resources and software being able to fulfil requests.

I don't have any update as to what is causing this, but we are spending a good amount of time working on this and as soon as I know what is causing this, I'll put in the resources or coding time to get it fixed asap.

As OP is a services-based business, it's my priority to get as close to 100% uptime as much as possible, so I appreciate the feedback on this and all the other issues raised on the support site and in the forums.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    I'm not sure if it fits here or not, but as Keryth said, loading pages is really slow. It doesn't seem to matter who's campaign I'm looking at, but clicking any old link in their site to another portion of their site has a really long load time.

-bort
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Same here Bort. More errors today as well. Very frustrated.
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Hi all,

I am hearing all your feedback, seeing reports on the tech support tickets.

I am doing my best to accelerate the fix process, I think there should be very minimal, if any, lag in trying to click on a link, access a wiki, etc..

I'll post as soon as any enhancement is made in this area.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Quick update:

We are in the process of upgrading our servers (OP runs on 2), this may reduce some of the 500 (server unable to complete request) errors that you are seeing.

Unfortunately, we may not be able to do the upgrade in time for the Fri/Sat gaming sessions, so we apologize for that.

I am driving the server admins as hard as I can to get this done (short of driving them to the point of quitting), so I hope to have these errors reduced.

Thanks for your patience, more updates to come when I get word.
  • Doc_the_grey
    What is the ETA on these server repairs? I've been getting 502 and 504 errors for the last hour and I'm wanting to know if I will get access to any of my work in the next 12 hours.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    How long is this going to take? You are aware that Saturday, today in the US and Europe, is the most popular gaming day, right?

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hitting 502 errors like midges round a Scottish loch at dusk.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Yep. Me too. Was planning on doing some work on my FAE Star Wars site but I can't get to it.

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• chibi_grazzt
    chibi_grazzt
    Ive also been getting this message. Ive a game coming up and need to update my page. Any idea when this will be fixed? I am a paying member, if that makes a difference.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    of course it makes no difference... I've been a paying member for two years and complaining to the management about 502/504 errors for at least a year...

at least they are responding and making promises right now in the last month or so, as opposed to ignoring us entirely
  • BearerOfTidings
    BearerOfTidings
    I just started getting unrelenting 502 errors this morning. I can't even get the support page to come up. This seems to be the only place I can go to report the error. I see that Andrew was trying to get the servers updated Friday/Saturday. Here it is Sunday and we still seem to be getting the same/worse errors.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Hi all,

I am reading all your feedback.

I'm checking in with the server admin on Monday to get an update.

We might not have been able to get the servers up in time for the Fri/weekend surge.

I'll post an update as soon as I can.
  • kettle
    kettle
    Thanks for checking in with us Andrew. We appreciate knowing that someone is looking into the issue.

Kettle
    "Rise of the Dead COTM June 2013":https://rise-of-the-dead.obsidianportal.com/
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Just some initial thoughts on the 500/502 errrors which seem to have escalated this weekend.

Following our announcement of bug fixes/updates this past week and updates on Facebook/Twitter, we've had more OP users come to the site, an increase in the number of new accounts being created. So in anticipation of an increase in users accessing the site on Fri/Sat, I initiated a series of hardware upgrades over Thurs/Friday. It looks like the server admin may not have completed the upgrade in time for the weekend (eg: backing up OP user data can take 5-8 hours), so that contributed to the servers' slowness, due to the increased traffic.

We're working towards completing the hardware upgrades by Wednesday, so that next weekend's gaming sessions should run a lot smoother. Meanwhile, I will also have our techs look at how they might optimize OP's core engine so that it might more efficiently use system resources.

I will be looking at how we can make things better when I go into the tech meetings on Monday and as always, I'll post updates when I can.

We apologize for the disruptions to your Fri/Sat gaming sessions and are working towards a solution.
  • Metacynic
    Metacynic
    Thanks for the updates. I was being plagued by 502/504 errors all day yesterday and today, but it appears to have slowed/stopped and the site responsiveness has increased. Hoping it gets even better going forward, as our group has just embarked on a new Homebrew campaign, and I am in the process of uploading more and more worldbuilding information.
  • HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Well I am still effectively blocked from my site by the error. Hope it's cleared soon.

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• Metacynic
    Metacynic
    Unfortunately I spoke too soon. all was good a few hours ago, but this afternoon I am effectively at a standstill as well. I am assuming that volume is the driver again...
  • Phoenix_Merrick
    Phoenix_Merrick
    Any luck with the 502 errors?
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    This is more than increased traffic, as the errors continue today on Sunday, and even at hours like 2 or 3AM when no one would be running a game. Unable to do anything with any of my sites because of this. As of now, OP is unaccessable for me.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Now midnight Pacific, still not fixed. That means 4 pm in Singapore. Another day, still not fixed!

Just trying to help out.

• andreww38
    andreww38
    @killervp - our tech team has been working on it, as soon as they have strengthened the site, i'll post an update.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Not enough- still waiting on refunds for the last long outage that were promised, as well as the refunds for the email fix that still is not fixed that were promised. An entire weekend of gaming was lost by many! This is not at all acceptable.

Just trying to help out.

• NikMak
    NikMak
    Ive had my first 502 Bad gateway error today

tried to report it on the tech-ticket.. but couldn't because of repeated 502 bad gateway errors :)

Campaign url: https://the-great-pendragon.obsidianportal.com/dashboard
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    FYI, some initial reports from the tech team.

In upgrading the hardware, some of the links were broken in OP, we're working on restoring the broken points so that site functionality will return to normal.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    FYI, we are aware that email notifications (for new posts and post updates) may have been affected by the hardware upgrade.

We have a tech working on it to analyze and if needed, resynch the connection between the new server and the email delivery service, if there are any disruptions detected.

I'll post an update if there is an issue and if we have fixed it.
    Post edited by andreww38 on