502 Bad Gateway

Jonathonathon
Jonathonathon
edited September 2015 in Bug Reports
Been getting these regularly for the last week or so. They happen all across the site, anywhere from trying to login to creating new pages. I'm also seeing really slow load times when I am able to navigate the site.

Comments

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    I have been seeing this issue as well, but thought it might be me as my laptop is on its way out (still building out the replacement).
  • Jonathonathon
    Jonathonathon
    Don't think so, I've tried from multiple locations on multiple machines and I've been having issues. Whole site is down right now, can't even get to the home page.
  • Unknown
    We have noticed this as well and are looking into the source of it. My guess is that now that the emails are fixed we have some more server load and may need to look into some optimization or upgrades of equipment.
  • Jonathonathon
    Jonathonathon
    Glad it's on your radar, thanks for the update.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Been getting the same issue here as well

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Getting a lot of these again.

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    Ok, so this is still happening. I had not seen it since we upgraded some of the infrastructure, but now that I know I will have tech take a look at this again.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Happening again for me today- anyone else?

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    I got myself onto the mailing list for server alarms, and it looks like we were starting to get a few. I have one of our tech team looking into it to see what needs to be sorted out.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Getting this today (returning from a two week vacation) while trying to access the council forums. Everywhere else (my own campaign site, community forums, etc.) seem fine. Is it perhaps subdomain specific?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I am getting them, as are my players.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I got a lot of it last night. However, if you persist, it usually rectifies after a couple of tries. Not the end of the world but can be irritating, especially when you want to make a comment on someone's site. With the old CAMPAIGN SEARCH still not reinstated, it means an endless journey of window clicking to get to a place, only to be confronted by a 502! Yes, I swore a couple of times. Am I injured? No.

These TWIGS snap, but they don't crackle and pop!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    lol Twigs
  • Unknown
    Yea, this is interesting. From the reports that I am getting on this, the 502 does not seem to be happening at any real specific intervals (no set time of day), no specific actions seem to be causing it (happens editing pages, looking at campaigns, etc), and does not mesh up with any alarms on our servers (such as high CPU loads). We have even upgraded some of the infrastructure to try and alleviate this.

If anyone picks up on any specific trends (even if they aren't 100% but just fairly consistent) please pass them along. I have been fortunate (or unfortunate for testing purposes) to not have encountered this in weeks myself. I would also request that folks pop in here and drop a timestamp of moments this happens to them. At this point every detail I can get to have this hammered our will help.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    happened to me a lot this morning (~11am EST)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Please lend your voice to the help ticket "here":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/17190-keep-getting-500-502-or-504-errors

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    done
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    again, posted screencap to the help ticket
  • berdman
    berdman
    Been happening to me tonight. I updated the ticket.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    We have put more error logging in place and this should help us isolate where the outages are occurring and work on a fix.

In an earlier fix, we tuned the database and it relieved some of the issues.

Thanks to Tau and others, I've noted that it seems to cluster around wiki ---- like the processes of creation, editing and accessing it.

If it's occuring at other points, please post here.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    Was merrily editing pages for an hour or two this morning (and yesterday) without problem, and hit a swarm of bad gateway errors around 6:39am EST – while trying to save edits to https://nanopunk.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/january-2016/edit

did that show up in your new error logging? (last we'd heard from Alex we were supposed to keep reporting errors here or over on the ticket thread)

as typical in these situations, I kept hitting back and then save again, and getting a bad gateway error again, hitting back, rinse wash repeat, until it finally went through
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks for the info. The errors hit at 6.39am EST, Jan 1.

The tech team works Mon to Fri, so I'll check in with them on Mon.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    6:39am EST Jan 2nd... did not see any problems on January 1st
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    Thanks for the clarification, 6.39am est jan 2nd.

I am aware that there might be outages in the 7pm to midnight window because that's when a lot of GMs are working on their campaigns.

6.39am seems like a weird time, unless a database is being backed up during a 6.30 to 7am time window.

I'll check in on this.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    I've actually had some of the worst experiences with getting gateway errors during normal business hours (EST) on a weekday, I'm mostly wondering now if your new error logging caught my most recent experience, which was 6:39 EST Jan 2nd, or if we have to keep reporting them
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @tau - I'm directing our tech team to look through this thread to compare timestamps vs their error logs.

-

Everyone,
    It will help in our forensic process, if you can post reports in the following format:

1) Your username
    2) Time/date the outage occurred. (indicate your timezone)
    3) What were you doing at the time (editing wiki, using textile)

This will help move the bug fixing process along.

thanks.
  • Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    Yet another 502 Bad Gateway Error

1) Tau_Cetacean
    2) 9:40am EST
    3) saving edits to: https://nanopunk.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/2020
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Shouldn't we put the bug reports in the help section?

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    good point, copied the report over there
  • Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    got my first 500 error page today, I feel like I'm officially a member of OP now!