[Notice] Email Fix Live

Unknown
edited September 2015 in General Archive
All:

We have a fix for the email issues live on the site now! We have tested this pretty heavily, but for the next little bit here if you notice anything not working as expected please ping me directly. You can reach me very quickly by sending a private message here, responding to this thread, or hit me up through one of the following options:

*Email:* [email protected]

Comments

• cgregory
    cgregory
    Tested it on our site and it seems to be working.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Outstanding!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Olorin
    Olorin
    Looks like it's working, I posted a couple forum posts and the portal members received email. When one of them tried to reply to the message he got an error, but the message appeared on the portal anyway. The error he received is below if it's of any use:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

fa032c2d0bed3fe0b5b9a544e93df66317fde5c5@appmail.obsidianportal.com
    Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain appmail.obsidianportal.com by client1.cloudmailin.net. [52.1.188.72].

The error that the other server returned was:
    554 message rejected because the target returned error 404
  • joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998
    Emails seem to be working for mine also.
    However, the site seems to be excessively slow.

Are they related?
  • joeschmoe998
    joeschmoe998
    Never mind, it looks like it may have been my custom background.
    After changing to a standard background, the site responds much better.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Email notices appear to be working again!

Can no longer upload image files; it immediately completes as if done, but 0kb of data was uploaded to server.

-bort
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    The site does seem to be going through periods of slowness and I can second that the images are not uploading properly after clicking embed images.

They are among us!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Email notification did not work from the TEST SITE Forum post you sent me, Alex.
    I will try my own site Forum post tomorrow and report back.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Unknown
    Thanks everyone for dropping in reports!

Ok, so based on cgregory and Bortas it looks like we need to take a look at the image embedding as something seems to be up there (likely unrelated to the email issues, but steps taken during the process may have drawn the issue to light - we had similar happen with Wiki pages in general that we had to hotfix).

cgregory and joeschmoe are noticing slow response from the site intermittently since the fix was rolled out (again, probably not directly related to the email but the issue may have been uncovered in the process of troubleshooting).

Also looks like we had at least one member hit a server error when posting a forum message (though the message still loaded to the campaign forum in this instance) so we will need to see if we can recreate this and clear it up.

@twiggyleaf - the forum post on the test forum was done while we were still troubleshooting, I also didn't get that email so that is to be expected.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Email is hit and miss. Image upload is broken. Dashboard stream is inconsistent.

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    Can you provide some additional detail on the Dashboard Stream?
  • Jahad
    Jahad
    I've had one friend I've added to my Campaign after he signed up; I was excited to hear that email was working so I tried an invite via email to myself (my @gmail.com) account. I received nothing after 15 minutes, nothing after 4 hours. I checked spam and junk as well. I sent a reminder and received nothing.

So, this element of email is still not working I am sorry to say.

I did experience incredible crawling speeds earlier as well.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Same here- I have an account I reserve to look at as a player- invited, and got no email. The account registers the invite on the profile, but no email sent.

Just trying to help out.

• Jahad
    Jahad
    I will continue to be patient
  • Unknown
    Hmm, that is odd as I tested the heck out of invites on staging before we rolled out. I will be meeting back up with tech tonight on this, something is very odd here.
  • xanstin
    xanstin
    People are getting updates to posts/forums, but I still cant invite anyone to the campaign. They don't receive email either like above either on email or a notification in their OP account.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Forum Post Feedback

I have sent two TEST FORUM Posts out to my team to test. Number 1. The normal method of sending a post (sending to all), and Number 2. My old workaround method (whereby you post, then go back into edit, click send to all by reclicking the send to all button).

I have not yet heard back from any of my team, but I can report that of the two tests, I myself only received the SECOND notification. (With the workaround mentioned above). This did not arrive in my INBOX but in my JUNKMAIL. (However, I can live with that) However, it does not allow the ability to choose certain players to send to. That option lasts only for a brief glimpse before disappearing. (It used to stay open until you entered the details and sent).

I will report back again after tonight to inform if any of my players have contacted me about the issue.

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• Macchiato
    Macchiato
    It seems something else broke with the email fix. I can't access any pages created and/or updated since the fix went live. All I'm getting is "internal server error (500)".
    Post edited by Macchiato on
  • Unknown
    All:

Based on what happened with the fix rollout we have reverted the change and are conducting an investigation as to what caused all these issues to crop up when we did our rollout. The issues we were seeing come up were not happening in our testing, so something unexpected happened in this process that we need to sort out. Our tech team is actively looking into this so we can get this fix rolled out without it breaking the rest of the website.

Sorry for the inconvenience on this everyone, but we will get it all sorted out.
  • Unknown
    Update:

We have investigated the issues and believe we have the problems resolved. We have re-released the email fix just now and I have done some testing to confirm the odd issues from before do not seem to be continuing now that it is back out. If everyone could please advise of any issues they experience or if they notice any particular emails still not going out it would be most helpful. We are going to be monitoring for 48 hours once again to confirm stability.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    I just updated a page (or three) and I both get the emails about the one update that I specifically let send email and see all the updates on my dashboard.

-
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":http://swtwc.obsidianportal.com
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    The embedded image upload and the email seems to be working for me now. Also nice and quick.

They are among us!

• bluesguy
    bluesguy
    Email Invites are working! AWESOME!!! Something got fixed... Happy feet!
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Email All (Chrome) Issue:

When unchecking Email All, it does not expand to allow clicking on specific individuals. As mentioned above.

Also possibly related....editing past forum posts is borked, as in I can't.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    SkidAce, the editing of past forums posts (I'm assuming you mean campaign forum posts) has always been wonky. It will sometimes work for me and somethings it wouldn't.

I can edit past forum posts right now without problem in firefox, chrome and IE haven't tried with my ipad.

As for the email all issue tested with firefox, chrome, and IE. Of those 3 only chrome had that issue.

Until that is fixed, there seems to be a work around in that when you expand it, there are a couple of what looks like clipped lines where the check boxes should be. If you click on one of those lines it will expand the selection and you can pick specific individuals.

They are among us!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Email is working now, including invites, for me now.

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    @cgregory..thanks, that allowed me to access the list. Much many thanks.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Email Notifications from Mysteria Forum:

(Report of 4 tests over 10 hours, involving me as GM and three players - another two players added One Day Later with results added in post edit.)
    FURTHER TESTING DONE BY MYSELF TWO DAYS LATER: SEE BELOW!

Early this morning (UK) I sent two TESTS from Forum Posts - one (TEST 1) normally, and the other (TEST 2) using my workaround of sending, then going back into Edit Mode, selecting "EMAIL ALL" then sending again.

Results:
    For me (USER NAME twiggyleaf), I only got TEST 1 and it was in my junkmail,
    From USER NAME stigandr, I got: "Got neither. G"
    From USER NAME Dragathorian, I got: "Got both emails."
    From USER NAME Morrison, I got: "I got TEST 1 and TEST 2 but both arrived in my JUNK MAIL."

A few moments ago (Evening in the UK) I did a TEST 3 using my workaround (see previous paragraph) and DID get this but in my JUNK MAIL. I also did a new test normally without the workaround (TEST 4) and didn't get this.
    From USER NAME Morrison: "Got test 3 & 4 in my junk mail."
    From USER NAME Dragathorian: "Got both again."
    From USER NAME GraemeL: " got all of the test 1 2 3 and 4 and all arrived in my junk. i have tried to set it so it no longer gets flagged as junk."
    From USER NAME matt_harpham: "I got your emails test 1 and test 2"

FURTHER TESTING DONE BY MYSELF TWO DAYS LATER:
    TEST 5: Normal Send. Result: Did not receive
    TEST 6: Workaround Send (See above): Did receive, but in JUNK MAIL.
    TEST 7: Workaround Send to SELF ALONE (i.e. Not "Email All"): Did receive, but in JUNK MAIL.

I can confirm that cgregory's workaround for expanding the check boxes by clicking the "clipped lines" does work.

P.S: I should probably say I use Outlook via an "@live.co.uk" address and I use Google Chrome on a (new) WINDOWS 10 operating system.

twiggyleaf
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• Unknown
    Keep the reports coming folks. Again, we are going to keep monitoring the situation here for a total of 48 hours before we announce this is actually fixed on a blog update, so if you discover any new issues or anything that seems odd that might be timed to the fix let us know.