Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Unknown
    Alright, I already know the problem - Google Docs does not present the share link in the appropriate manner. The link, in order to work correctly, must end in .pdf due to the manner in which the method is setup. You can probably find some services out there that will allow you to upload and store PDF files while providing a link that ends in the .pdf when viewing the file. If you would like I could probably kick some PDFs up to my webserver for you as I can easily provide you with the appropriate link for the embed.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I thank you for the research and the offer.

I'll fiddle around a bit and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.
  • SSveter
    SSveter
    I see the example of the pdf. Did you upload that with the media upload option?
  • Unknown
    It is due to Google no longer including the .pdf bit in there address for documents on Google Drive. It just ends with some alphanumeric code that relates to the file on their servers, but with the setup here on OP for the media upload option to work the link you supply must end in .pdf to get the full preview. Otherwise you get a one page sample with a link off to the document on the service it is linked from.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Checkin in guys, working on stretch goal plans daily at this point.

Curious, how would you feel about that "bonus" feature being the ability to add new tabs with content to your campaign pages (down the left side).

Toss that around a bit and let me know your thoughts, it's been recommended a lot over the years.
  • Unknown
    Personally that would be awesome by my book, so long as it directly integrates to the current menu system on the left side (basically so that they naturally blend). Maybe even add in a more direct way beyond the CSS to adjust the names of different menus as well to help GMs better theme their pages.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    It would take away from the standard organization a bit (I pretty much always know how to get to the adventure logs or the wiki straight away) but overall I would be for it, as adding new tabs would let me organize my stuff more in line with my main offline document.
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    New tabs = LONG overdue IMO. we can do this
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    agreed; also would be great if they were easy to format as well
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    @Skidace, these would be 100% optional, so if you didnt want them to take away from the standard organization you wouldn't have to.

Also, they would be just as easy to format as any other page, and be renameable without any CSS tricks, that would be the goal.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    @DreadGazebo, no worries, I like the idea overall, but the point I was trying to make was going to someone else's site and potentially being lost.

But that's a small thing, as I say, I am for the idea.
  • Unknown
    Yea, I will agree with SkidAce on that - allowing for the easy alteration will take away a little of the OP feel to some pages as that is one of the small things that was normally pretty consistent across the board. Overall I don't see this as a terrible problem, I would see it as being a bit more like WordPress in regards to opening us up to make it more our own as clients.

If it was felt that this should be a little less common to help keep the OP feel on more pages it could always be made as an Ascendant feature. This would keep a large portion of pages still running with the normal flow and add some extra incentives to the Ascendant accounts and possible drive some more sales.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I'm for it; I've seen several campaigns over the years add an additional tab or two, or subdivide a wiki into several tabs. I, for one, wish the Items tab would be fully supported again, but I understand that not everybody sees a need for it (however, having disabled by default means some people don't even know it exists).

I love the idea of being able to rename the tabs without throwing extra CSS in for that, especially as it seems like a common alteration among campaigns.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Additional customization of the navigation menu would definitely help campaigns that create their own custom navigation. My current campaign is one example; it also means that any changes to the custom navigation system somewhat occurs in CSS but for the most part must happen in HTML, which means changing every page on the site. Hopefully this new feature would help alleviate that to some significant degree.

- Bel

"Experiments in Space":https://gurpsspace.obsidianportal.com/
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I use the items tab on every campaign I run.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I would be for the tabs as well!!

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Hey Jerry, it's been a few weeks. Status report?

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Anything in the works anyone can tell us?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Getting a lot of Bad Gateways....

Just trying to help out.

• Cernig
    Cernig
    Me too, Killervp. It either takes forever to load or 502s. It's been getting progressively slower the last 2 days.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Same ... super slow or 502

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Yeah, same problems here.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• pencilneckgeek
    pencilneckgeek
    According to their Facebook page, they're loading new hardware and anticipate things to be smooth "in a few hours". That was about 7 hours ago. It does seem to be evening out a little, at least for me, right now.

--The Geek

Current Campaigns:

Shadows of the Rift : Homebrew Pathfinder Campaign (Campaign of the Month, September 2018)

The Dresden Files: Portland

Deadlands: Riders on the Storm

Velvet & Steel : 7th Sea 2nd Edition

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    It loads fine for me now. Still think it could be _faster_, but at least it's back to normal.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Cernig
    Cernig
    Nope, it's still FUBAR.
  • Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots
    I'm still having to refresh a page three or four times to get past the 502 bad gateway errors. And this has been happening for a couple of days now for me, our regular game night is Thursday and nothing would load up so we winged it for the most part instead of using material on the site. Still had some fun but a huge portion of our game materials for the setting are here, and barely accessible. Here's hoping it's fixed soon, because a couple of the folks in the group are starting to talk about moving the gaming stuff over to another site. I'm not all that interested in doing so and willing to stick it out a while longer.

• Alkorahil
    Alkorahil
    Same here for the past 7 hours. SLOW refresh and loading.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Seems okay this morning. Wish they would update info here.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    I'm not having 502 errors anymore, but man.... so slow!

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • Dropbeartots
    Dropbeartots
    Still having both repeated 502 errors and slow loading, no appreciable changes yet.

This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions