DATABASE OF STOCK NPC's

Baalshamon
Baalshamon
edited January 2012 in Player Lounge
I am starting a new campaign to act as a reposity for characters. If you have stock NPC's, cool characters you want to share, and anything else that can help a GM pull characters out on the fly- then please join and starte posting

My goal is to create a repository of NPC's can be used in every concievable kind of campaign.

"Here is the link.":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-database-of-stock-npc-s

I hope many of you join and participate.

-Steve
"Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
"Duskreign's CotM December 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/wyrmshadow/wikis/122011
"CotM January 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I am in... will be a week or so, but will be posting some juicy ones.

Just trying to help out.

• KenSee
    KenSee
    Thanks so much for the invite! I am flattered you would consider me worthy for such a task. I will start posting some characters as soon as I can.

-Ken See
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Ive got several ready but are we doing wiki pages or are we using the characters page?
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Ok double post my bad. I added one character and wanted some feedback. I can change the banner but i was thinking perhaps we can eliminate the campaign banner and have a banner for each GM. Im down for doing the coding if that's an issue. I dont know if you want something more uniform or what. Anyway thats my start. (I have the day off and am actually caught up with my stuff so i have the time.)
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    Separate banners for each genre or gm would be awesome if you are up to making them for the group. Lets keep this a free form database, add what you want and edit if you see blatent gramatical or spelling errors. If someone designs a good format that is universal we can all use it.
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Sweet! Ill set up the code and publish it so anyone can use it and then set the banners to a specific size so if someone has a banner they can just slap it in provided its the same size.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I can provide as many Cthulhu NPCs as you want. Give me a week or two.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    awesome HurstGM,

Sent you an invite, Frank
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    Hey Hurst, when you get the coding for the banners up, send me a message.
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Will do right now. Ok so i got all the banners done if you dont like it or want a change its all good let me know or use your own. If you do use your own and my code then make sure its W:800px and H:135px and it weill fit fine. I tried to capture the feel of your games but i might have gotten it wrong. Ok so the banners are "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/a-database-of-stock-npc-s/wikis/proposed-banners

and the code is

This does not interfere with any other buttons on the characters page. Also if you want a custom back ground you can use this.

Let me know if any one needs help with this
    Post edited by HurstGM on
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    I love mine, for real.

So we use the banner in place of "NPC's by Ken See" ? Correct?
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    right I fixed the one you had originally (it was not sized right i took a guess but knew it might change when wollette changed the banner). Anyway if you go back "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-database-of-stock-npc-s/characters/bayne-thorpe can just copy the code then you can just cut and paste it into all new characters.
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    Wow, you really hit this one hard. Could you send me the code for your formatting as well?

I won't be able to hit this very hard this week as my campaign goes live on Monday so I am in double crunch time but when I have some time I will definitely contribute all I can to this great resource.

-Ken See
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Ken See PM sent
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Hurst is amazing - did all that and then helped me solve some of my layout issues with BWF tonight.

Layout finalized ... going to tweak and realign buttons at some point as that is a minor OCD detail but things feel less "naked" and new now. Since we had our first actual play session today I will be post a new log soon! I also have some "cool" stuff happening on the 17 & 18th and will be posting about that soon. Not to mention the cool new stuff happening on the 21st.

Sorry to sidetrack!

Good Job on this project Hurst, good idea for a project Stephen - I am going to contribute but sporadically and slowly - I am pretty tied up with BWF as things are being put into place a bit more now.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Good idea Stephen. I'm sure this could turn out to be an excellent resource for the community.

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• magavendon
    magavendon
    OMG, I love the banner you made for me! You won't mind me using it anywhere, like not just on this site, if I give you credit right?

On another note, I probably won't be able to post anything for a bit. I've just joined two campaigns and have to get myself started in those. Also, I've never once written stuff down for an NPC before, so I'll have to be watching you guys for a bit and follow your leads. But once that's out of the way I should be like a machine! :D
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks for the banner Hurst, and thanks for including me in a player list, Stephen. My adventuring group are still in the second phase of their Quest right now, so I will not be starting a new campaign for a while but will be working on design for stage three of Shimring and have therefore set up your banner on the page, and will insert in a small tantalizer - may add stuff as I am going along. (I have added a homegrown monster to the NPC list which may be of use to any GMs running undead monsters but facing mighty CLERIC NPCs.)

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Any of the banners I made are free and clear for you to use anywhere.
  • WolfLord
    WolfLord
    Thanks for the invite! i won't be able to add anything for about a week but after that i will definitely add a large sum to the NPC bank ;)

"Avatar: Conquest of the Imperial Order":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/avatar_adventure
    "CotM November 2011":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/november-11-campaign-of-the-month-avatar-conquest-of-the-imperial-order/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=november-11-campaign-of-the-month-avatar-conquest-of-the-imperial-order
    "Duskreign
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    Hmm...at the moment, my main project is Age of Worms so it'll be a bit before I can add some of my own creation, but I will when I have some.
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Yea do you know how hard it was to find a worm banner? JK I had one in my monsters file
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    My point was more that I _won't_ be putting up Age of Worms NPCs up, as they aren't my own work. When I get back to something I'm making myself, I'll be able to add NPCs.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I am glad everyone is liking this idea and offering to help out. Savannah, one thing I was hoping you could do, as you seem real good at it, it edit peoples posts if you see blatant spelling or gramaitcal errors.

If anyone has ideas for improving stuff, please send me a note or post it here.

I am real psyched about this and think it will grow into an amazing asset for all of OP
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    My banner looks sweet! Thanks, Stephen!
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    Frank, HustGM did all the banners, and I am very grateful to him for taking such initiative.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Well we might / can all specialize some more then perhaps. I am good at networking & putting the word out on things and taking ideas and running with them. I can look for ways to apply that here, Alternatively I can contribute one of few different ways perhaps:

In just in the last 2 weeks played games that created 2 worlds (one we are using one we are not) I can can contribute hat source material.

I used to have a character name source book for writers lying about. Perhaps I can create some lists or tables using that as a baseline.

I can contribute custom NPC races / cultures / gods and let people take the fluff and adapt that stuff to their own systems.

I can be assigned a "floater" positions and randomly work with others to improve / enhance the projects / ideas they have going on.

I can be assigned some task - nothing too crazy time mind you as I already have competing interests, but I work just fine unsupervised or well as part of a "team" I can probably work on anything needed art wise or fluff wise or even writing wise. I am a poor choice to ask for code work though.
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    Skimming what all's been put up so far, I noticed that a fair number are actually monsters and not really NPCs. I had been assuming that there wouldn't be species of monsters, although there might be individual, named monsters with personalities and so on. What exactly do we mean by NPCs? Do we want species or just individuals?

Also, I realized I can contribute now -- I've got enough retired PCs (or even PCs that are in use) that I'm sure I can find some to share as someone else's NPCs! (Hurst, I don't suppose you happen to have something more Dungeons and Dragons-y for a banner? (An actual dragon, pretty please?) And maybe some more old english type font? If it's a pain, I'm happy to set up my own banner, but yours are cooler than anything I can do.)
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    A bunch of people want to do monsters and races which I am cool with but I am hoping more characters will appear as this thing grows. The actual formating of the site will change as time goes on. Right now it is bare bones but I would like to set it up on the wiki broken down as follows. Let mw know if this sounds good?

Genre
    Setting
    Contributor

Tags can be:
    occupation
    species
    If this format sounds good then I will go and reformat the wiki in this manner.
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    That makes a lot of sense to me. Three comments: I'm not sure what exactly you would put as "setting" or "location" and I would add "system" to the tags -- while I'm not providing full stats for the NPC I'm writing up right now, I am providing a bunch of notes on her stats that will primarily make sense to D&D 3.5 DMs (and I may end up putting up full stats for some of my NPCs, if I'm writing them anyway). You can always take just the personality, of course, but if you can get personality + appropriate stats, that's even better.

Also, going through my old PCs, I'm debating whether I should put Savannah up :P