So....

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Hm, that's strange Dusk. Have you looked in your spam folder? I know sometimes I find OP messages in my spam folder. If not, I'd recommend contacting Dan or Micah. Your vote is important.

I agree with Dark Magus though, this is going to be a tough one to decide since there are so many really deserving campaigns. Best of luck to everyone whose in the running though. Regardless of the outcome, you guys are all winners in my book... OK that's really cheesy I know, but it came from the heart (not from the spleen!).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Please, not from the spleen.

I hate that guy.

Just ask Sandman.
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    We let December go by the wayside. We had to do that earlier in the year with a different month if you look at the list of campaigns up for CotY. Sometimes we just can't find a good campaign. And if we can't do that within the first week of the month, then there's no featured campaign for that month. We'd rather someone have 2 months of spotlight than someone have 2 weeks of spotlight.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Seems reasonable in retrospect. If anyone deserves that extra spotlight, it's Frank.
  • Dyluth
    Dyluth
    Well I can't wait to find out who the lucky GM for two months shall be! Lord knows how thanks to the featured campaign contest of the last year I've found some amazing campaigns here on OP that I might otherwise not have noticed.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Uh... it was Frank, for November and December :P
  • Idabrius
    Idabrius
    Might I inquire as to what I might need to improve on the 10th Age to make it worthy of consideration? :P
  • Sommerset
    Sommerset
    I'm also interested in submitting my campaign for consideration -- mainly because my players have been busting out some mad writing skills on our forums. Any idea when they'll open up a thread for February?
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Who is this "they" of which you speak? maybe start a, "hey my awesome players have been putting a lot of collaborative work into my campaign, check it out!" thread... with a link and people will flock to behold the awesome.
  • Sommerset
    Sommerset
    Your wisdom is sage, Gnunn. And you are a SAGE of WISDOM.

Thanks, man!
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Sooooo . . . no featured campaign for Febraruy, either, it would seem.

Not that I'm in any hurry to rush _Honour Among Thieves_ offstage - I'm pleased to note that I was the first OP'er to Favorite *brandonsweet*'s campaign, and it deserves every bit of attention it gets.

But it would be disappointing to see this feature fall by the wayside - I think it's a good source of inspiration and technique for both current and prospective OP'ers.

Was there a mention about this somewhere that I didn't see?
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I knew this would happen.

Scroll down to see the February CotM, below January's. I asked about this problem, but was told it was because they upgraded something, and fixing this is apparently "low priority."

I think highlighting the best Obsidian Portal has to offer should be one of the higher priorities, but I won't pretend to understand the logistics involved in maintaining this site.

You are right, though, BV. Honour Among Thieves is spectacular, and worthy of the extra spotlight. Poor Govaga not only didn't get put up until 9 days into the shortest month of the year, but also appears below the scroll-line for the front page, so it is even less likely to get the page-views, popularity, and respect it so richly deserves.

This is the first time I have ever, ever, been disappointed in Obsidian Portal. It is a fluke, though, and I am sure this situation will eventually be resolved.

Edit: Sorry if I seem unusually moody, guys. I am especially sorry if it seems like I am giving OP, or DreadGazebo, a hard time. Like I said, I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes. I can only imagine the disappointment of being honored with the CotM nod, only to see the honor diminished due to technical difficulties. I have nothing but respect for OP, Micah, DreadGazebo, and the rest of the OP staff. So, I'm sorry if my tone seems ungracious or inappropriately negative.
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Well, look at that down there!

Hmm, I hope that gets fixed - it's been wonky enough with the front page mostly black and the _HAT_ banner down below the sidebar, but on my monitor at least _Govaga_ is buried from view. (Yeah, I need a bigger monitor, I know.)

Thanks for the heads up, *Dr* - most appreciated.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Heh, I abbreviate the names of those I respect most, if it means anything, Black_Vulmea. :)
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    I do the same, *Dr*. :^)
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Coda: When you click on the "Campaigns" banner on the front page, it still shows _Honour Among Thieves_ as the "Featured Campaign."

I can understand - sort of - the issue on the front page, but that one's pretty inexcusable.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    In my opinion. the CotM should be featured in a small banner ad on every page of this site, because a large number of people would otherwise miss the opportunity to see the best this site has to offer. Also, the new CotM should be selected by the end of the first week of every month, and as soon as it is selected, it should be posted everywhere it is appropriate and given the spotlight it deserves. However, like I said, I've been told that this issue has to do with some sort of an update, and fixing it is considered low priority at this time.

I think that, to be fair, there should be no CotM for March, and Govaga should be spotlighted properly for that entire time. Hopefully, by the end of march, the update hiccups will be resolved, and the Campaigns of the Month will be given their due in the future.

Edit: Now, the Obsidian Portal home page doesn't even show Govaga at all, because of the Free System Fridays announcement.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    On a side note, on my homepage, I feature a campaign every month in a section called Duskreign Recommends. You have to scroll down a bit, and its on the left side, under the Latest News section.

I was thinking of doing something... perhaps, creating another campaign wiki just for the purpose of archiving featured campaigns. Perhaps calling it "Best of the Portal", with a different campaign shown at the top, and previous featured campaigns/honorable mentions below. I just don't know if that effort would pay off, considering it would be unlikely to get a lot of page views in and of itself.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Dusk,

I think if you took the reigns of this (wow, accidental pun) it would, indeed, pay off, as I think maybe that archive would probably turn into the "go to" source for the "best of OP" for many on the site.

I know for myself, anyway, I tend to go to those I consider "experts" (for lack of a better word) and check out the wikis they've "favorited" to find good ones to check out, and this endeavor sound like it would cut out a lot of searching/surfing.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    So people might already have noticed this, but now that a new blog entry about Shadowrun is up Govaga is completely off of the front page altogether. :\
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Actually because FSF was the most recent it only shows up first, wait a few seconds and the rest of the featured articles show up in the slider image. Also the Govaga highlight is right below the FSF post, just as it was - all in chronological order.

Also the way that the obsidianportal.com front page displays the featured campaign was written in such a way that after the new blog was implemented the way it is somewhat broken at the moment and we're currently working to fix it.

I've removed FSF from the featured articles in order to better emphasize the CoTM feature and continue highlighting Govaga, as it should be.

All of this being said please do bear with me as I catch on to the ebb and flow of processes behind the scenes at OP. I normally work ~45 hour work weeks at my day job, I have a wife and two little ones and a multitude of other things on my plate and I'm really trying my best. I do appreciate the email that was sent to me directing my attention towards this thread. As the months progress I hope to fall into a rhythm here, but currently I'm only one month in, there is a lot to absorb and I'm doing my best to handle it all.

Thank you all for your concern, regarding CoTM and may of the other features since I've taken the seat here. I want to keep with the good traditions of OP as well as create a few of my own. If there's anything else I can do please feel free to hit me up via email [email protected] as you'll get a quicker response than just a forum reply.

~jerry
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Jerry,

I think you've been doing a great job so far. I think everyone here understands that real life responsibilities come first over gaming (at least I hope so, lol). I think that this thread exists simply because the community here really values fairness and credit where it is deserved. That is why when COTMs don't quite get their time to shine people like to talk about it to see if they can help make things fairer. I know that the community here loves this place and holds you guys that run the site in very high regard. Keep up the good work!

"DarkMagus":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/DarkMagus
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Please, let me be among the first to say that I welcome our new Gazebo-Overlord.

Jerry, one of the biggest things for me is simply knowing that someone is aware of problems on the site when they crop up, and that there is actually some intention to do something about them; it helps me to feel like there is actually someone with their hand on the wheel. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what's going on; it's very much appreciated.

And as someone who works long hours with a wife and two little ones as well, lemme just say thanks for taking on the job on behalf of the site.

Mike aka Black Vulmea

"_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - Swashbuckling adventure in the age of The Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
    Post edited by Black_Vulmea on
  • BrokenClock
    BrokenClock
    Well, the two weeks of Obsidian Portal fame was nice while it lasted.
    Post edited by BrokenClock on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    :(
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I'll second the :(
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Hopefully _Govaga_ gets another month and the code gets fixed asap.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    That would be the just thing to do. That is a certainty.

Can one of the forum admins make a sticky thread for the Campaign of the Month, so we can at least highlight Govaga here in the Forums?
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    "Done":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1803&page=1#Item_1 (just to be clear though, I'm only a forum moderator, not an admin).
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Thanks for helping out, Arsheesh.

Oh, and admin or no, you got something done. That's gotta count for something :)