So....

Duskreign
Duskreign
edited December 2010 in Campaign Submissions
...yeah.

What happened to December's Campaign of the Month?

I can't be the only one wondering that.

Comments

• Everdark
    Everdark
    Good call. Huh.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    I keep checking on that too.

Maybe Santa will bring it with him... ???
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I feel bad for whoever gets it, if it does happen. I was fortunate enough to have the honor in October, but it didn't go "live" until the 6th (I think), and some of my players complained to me that I got gypped out of part of my full month of exposure on the main OP page. That's nothing compared to whoever they choose for December. If December's CotM does go up now, they will only have a few weeks in the spotlight.

:(

I am guessing that none of the powers that be could spare the time, or that they couldn't make up their mind and decided not to bother with a December CotM as a result.

It's a shame, because there are dozens of campaigns on the portal that are more than worthy of such accolade and recognition.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Yeah my guess is that the admins are super busy right now, but I agree Dusk, it is a missed opportunity. I hope this trend does not continue, because I think that the Featured Campaign is one of those really great things that the Portal has going for it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    If there were a vote, I'd say to put up some sort of Holiday celebration message for the rest of the month and start again with featured Campaigns in the new year. I'd hate to think that a featured campaign only got a couple weeks of exposure for all their hard work.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Agreed.

Substantially.
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    I concur as well. It would suck to get gypped of two weeks of exposure. =(
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    There will only be 11 choices for 2010 Campaign of the Year this year, it seems :(
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Hey, speaking of that...how does that work, anyway? Do all the links go up on the home page and there's a vote, or is there some jury for that, or what? I'd certainly like to explore the "top 11" of the year, and I'm sure everyone else would, too.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I'm pretty sure last time it was a vote thing. I don't know how they are planning to handle it this year.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I think that it's a shame. I agree that the best course would be to hold off. Maybe this year was the uh... Anti-Gregorian year... it's like a leap year, but instead of gaining a day, we lose a month. Or something?
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    The poor gypsies are the real victims here. But I do agree that there's less and less benefit to getting picked at this point in the month.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I'm actually beginning to feel guilty about being up there still.
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    There's absolutely no reason why you should feel guilty about it. It is completely out of your control.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    No, Frank. It has nothing to do with you. The OP staff obviously didn't have time to choose a new CotM, and they didn't want to have a big blank space on the front page where the CotM is supposed to be. If anything, I'm glad that your campaign is on the front page. I can't think of many campaigns that more thoroughly represent the creativity and raw talent that the Obsidian Portal has on offer.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Agreed, Dusk. Frank, your campaign is definitely worthy of it's standing. I don't think anyone is saying that you're getting "extra credit" or "overstaying your welcome," as it were. And I should apologize for not giving my props to you earlier (at least I don't think I did) for your campaign...like Dusk said, it "thouroghly represent[s] the creativity and raw talent that the Obsidian Portal has to offer."
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's cool to get the extra exposure (I'd be lying if I said otherwise), but it comes at the expense of other really great campaigns that deserve to be highlighted.

But I agree - they might as well _not_ choose a December CotM. It wouldn't be fair to the GM that has put his/her heart and soul in to their campaign.

Also, I wasn't aware there was a campaign of the year award (I've only been on OP since March) - that's cool. So many worthy sites and GMs.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah, they basically make a page to vote for the CotY by creating a poll, using all the CotM's, and give people the opportunity to write-in a campaign that wasn't mentioned.

It went to Pursuit of Destiny last year.

I think that should honestly put Gabe's campaign out of contention for this year. I hope this doesn't come off as rude or flippant, but I believe it got most of its votes on the basis of his popularity, and not on the quality of his wiki. This year should be a CotY much more indicative of the quality and greatness OP users have been able to wrest from the tools Obsidian Portal has graciously developed for us.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    I believe CotY is strictly drawn from the CotM campaigns for the year in question, so Pursuit of Destiny wont be a contender this year. Dusk, I also agree that last year's winner was based primarily on name recognition.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    IIRC, CotY has a write-in option. Pursuit could win again on that basis.

But yeah.
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    Let us start the rebellion.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Well "*This*":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/?p=1338 might explain things. Honestly we have some really talented people right here at the forums that I think would be wonderful for this position. I hope some of you guys decide to have a go at this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    Wow, if I was ten years younger, without a career, a family, and a house that needs remodeling, I would be all over that. Sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of fun, too.

By the way, the CotY vote was announced in the newsletter. I don't believe there was a write-in option.

Good luck to my fellow CotM's - you all deserve to win!

Now, being from Chicago, I have to figure out how to get dead people to vote for my campaign...

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    NOOO!! Too many good campaigns too choose from, created and run by very cool friends from the forums. Can I just vote for "Give them all pie" instead??
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Where was this newsletter Frank? Isn't that supposed to be via e-mail or something? I never got anything.
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    I got it just a little while ago, gaaran - you might want to let the PTB know if it doesn't show up shortly.

And there was indeed a write-in option in the CotY voting. Not that I used it. But no more hints - best of luck to all the contenders!
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    It was an email newsletter from Obsidian Portal, with the subject line, *Latest News from Obsidian Portal*.

Check your junk folder.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Huzzah! With some deep digging, I was able to find it and vote :). I wish all my fellow CotM candidates luck!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    It seems I'm going to have a few days of thoroughly exploring some OP Campaigns. Dammit (sarcasm abundant here) I really didn't want to have to do that.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I cannot find that e-mail, and now, Duskreign is a sad clown.

EDIT: My wife's email had the newsletter (as she is also a member), so YAY!