"Ragged Vestiges" Campaign Now Recruiting

Comments

• Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Yes Garaan :P I was just saying that to try and compromise... ^_^ and I would become moot if everyone had bardic knowledge too

edit: Had to re-upload my pic, hopefully it works now Rase
    Post edited by Embirsiphone on
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I don't think a compromise is needed :). This is some of our first times playing Pathfinder, I think we should just leave the rules alone, it'll be easier for everyone.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    No mootification! I was happy that I was able to eke out 7 skill points as a Barbarian (4+ int+ human ftw!)
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    works for me... :D Though I think roleplaying experience points should be an option though, like getting points for lock picking when you're a rogue.. stuff like that... I don't know if everyone does that already but I figured I'd bring it up just in case...
  • Nir
    Nir
    Gaaran, my rule would not only effect my PC, as others would be able to benefit from extra points to allocate to more meaningful skills.
    My point is just that knowledge is different from the rest because you cannot really not learn something you're busy doing all the time (delving into dungeons, seeing different places, fighting monsters, etc).
    I hear Embirsiphone's point a bit better. Perhaps certain knowledge skills should be given for free, like Local & Geography, to depict general knowledge. The others would need to be gained as per usual.
    This is only a suggestion (mine at least). If the party doesn't find it reasonable, than we don't need to change anything. I'm just trying to see if anything could be improved before we set sail.

if the rich parents only brings me to 900gp, than I'll take another trait. No sweat. IH please come back to me on this one.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I've always loved RP XP - yes, you could have slain the goblin horde by hand, one by one, in mortal combat. But instead, you chose to take out a scouting party and impersonate them. Including a RPing scenario when the players have to actually bluff their way past the goblins instead of a die roll is a plus.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Embir: Excellent! I have tokened the entire party now!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Yeah, i kind of assumed that role-playing xp would be involved, not necessarily the way you put it, unlock a lock, or sweet talk a bartender, gain 50 xp, but somehow involved.

And I just meant Nir, that your's is the only character that didn't elect to take at least one knowledge skill, so everyone else has put some importance on it. Gaining a small bonus after having been in an area for a while wouldn't be a bad idea, but they should be circumstantial, and granted by the DM, not free ranks, in my opinion. Local knowledge gained in one town shouldn't apply when we go to a new place, for example.
  • Yoshara
    Yoshara
    I usually do that, but if I am going to award xp for that I am watching all characters in combat as well, a fighter who protected a teammate or positioned himself just right, a cleric who healed very well, etc. I like to reward good fighting as well as good roleplaying.

-embir, I missed alot, I come back and theres 50 posts. Thats what I get for disappearing into Call of Duty Black Ops for 2-3 days.

I am also alright with any time for now (in the same boat as Rase) so just let me know when and where and I will be there.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    i suppose I should mention I'm good with pretty much any time as well as long as no one minds a tiny child talking every now and then since my daughter will be hanging about ^_^ though usually my mom will watch for me when I need her to but I can double check and make sure.. so is it going to be on saturday?
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I think that's the plan, to do this on Saturday at 2 pm EST.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    In-character combat sounds... pretty awesome. I mean, it's tougher to do, to make sure that you live up to your character's principles and standards and ethics and morals, but it's more rewarding. Does my Barbarian fly into a rage if it means he won't be able to take care of those in his party, due to making some furious mistake, or does he try and keep himself calm to deal with not setting off the myriad of traps that are all over the place? Choices choices... :)
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    hnnn I'm not entirely sure how lark would react in combat.. her desire for fame makes her rather headstrong and a loner in most cases... I wonder how that would work in battle.. is that 3 pm central then? and have we decided on what we were using to communicate?
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Leave the rules as they are, I think.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    For the first session, I think we will just be using the chat function of Maptools. I think 2PM EST is 3 PM Central.

In combat, a fame seeking headstrong loner? I'm actually quite perplexed... would she do what needed to be done? Would her desire for fame lead her to take unnecessary risks so as to boost her own acclaim? The bard who taunted the Ogre, just so she could boast about killing it, despite endangering her own life? Ultimately it's up to you... it's a very curious notion, though.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    no, it's 1 PM central, it goes the other way :P
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...right! That makes sense. Also that's why I can't call the Factory when it hits noon, because they've all gone home. ...and why I was posting at night over there and it was dead quiet in the forums.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Alright then ^_^

And that's sort of the problem because i have self preservation for my character but I also think she would be the one to taunt the ogre... >.< just someone please make sure I don't die :P
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Oh, no worries... that's what my character's built for. Taking punishment brought on by others :) I'll do my best!
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    yay! Good to know I have cannon fodder ;) But i'll try not to cause too much trouble ^_^
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    All I ask is the occasional CLW or something suitably health-oriented. That and not to bite off more than can chew on me. Please ?
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Running is always an option.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Never give up! Never surrender! Except when it's a really good idea!
  • Nir
    Nir
    No one came back to me on my redefinition of Combat Expertise. I actually saw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter#TOC-Shielded-Fighter) that it gets grouped together in with FT in Active Defense (Ex).

Also, my PC's next feat is going to be

Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat)
    You have learned to turn your speed into power, even with a heavier blade.
    Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse, Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with scimitar.
    Benefit: When wielding a scimitar with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls. You treat the scimitar as a one-handed piercing weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    How good is your PC's Arabic? And I didn't catch the Perform [Dance] (2 Ranks) pre-requisite on the sheet of Etiyan Ne'va.

I'm wondering why you aren't happy with plain ole vanilla Weapon Finesse (Which Etiyan has)?
  • Nir
    Nir
    Funny.
    Weapon finesse is a prerequisite of Dervish Dance. Weapon finesse doesn't deal DEX damage. DD does.
    As far as the 2 ranks in Perform (dance): I'll take it when I take the feat. Give me a chance to go buy a ballet outfit first.

I saw another group who altered (that's a bad word here) the weapon finesse feat to actually deal DEX damage instead of STR, and that all the finesse-able weapons use either STR or DEX to attack.
    It's kind of hard to understand how STR helps with a rapier in the first place. It's not a club! It's a thin blade with a sharp point at the end of it.

On a different note: One of the reasons I didn't take any knowledge skills is also partially due to the fact that there are no knowledge skills on the Swashbuckler's skill list.
    Post edited by Nir on
  • Nir
    Nir
    Just created Etiyan's macroset for Maptools. I'll be doing all my rolls online.
    I can send who ever wants the macroset to look at, and customize it for their PCs if you so wish.
  • Nir
    Nir
    I've set Etiyan's wealth to normal (without the Rich Parents trait) and took a different trait instead. He's now wearing plain old leather armor.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Nir, I'd appreciate taking a look at your macroset. I haven't had a chance to take a look at Maptools yet (to my chagrin).

With respect to the rapier/scimitar conversation, my understanding of it is thus. Yes, you require a good amount of dexterity to properly wield a rapier and get it to do what you want it to do. However, as it is a light piercing weapon, it would require some strength to be able to be thrust through any sort of organic/inorganic matter, or do equivalent damage (I know about PSI and force applied, impulse and all, but I can't see the initial rapier attack running someone completely through. The entire point is about nimbleness, right?). With a rapier the strength (Key word) of the blow could well cause more shock to an organic system, since D&D is an abstract system it doesn't matter if the damage is from a hole in your chest or the shock that resulted from the hole being put there.

The scimitar is a much weightier weapon (2x as heavy in game terms), has the ability to sunder, as a slashing weapon. The strength would provide a greater impact. The Dervish Dance allows you to use the scimitar for a use that it was never intended. It makes a slashing weapon into a piercing weapon, according to the feat description, and is a uniquely distinct fighting style. To my mind, the Dervish Dance is all about controlling the momentum of the scimitar, and redirecting it to where it will do the most damage. It would rely on a modicum of strength to continue the dance (Represented in the Perform skill), but the damage based on Dexterity is derived from the fact that you are combining the greater inertia of the weapon with the ability to precisely place the strikes where they will cause the most impact. It's not like the Dervish would stop moving in-between attacks. Got to keep the momentum going. :)

Anyway, that's my take on the situation.
  • Nir
    Nir
    That's all well and good. But is there a reason why the feat cannot be applied to the rapier (especially as it is being used in the normal way - as a piercing weapon)?
    My character can just as easily take the scimitar as his weapon of choice, but for appearance sake I would prefer to use the rapier, and I cannot really see any game imbalance or advantage of any kind by doing so.