The Server Crash Was My Fault -- And Map Related

Randolpho
Randolpho
edited September 2007 in Bug Reports

Comments

• Randolpho
    Randolpho
    It looks like the forums are still up, although quite slow.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm the one who crashed your server. Really, I'm super-duper sorry.

But I thought I'd post what I did so you can do something about it.

I was trying to upload this cool high-resolution map of the galaxy I found for my Star Wars campaign. I had converted it to a square JPG, 7020 x 7020, with low quality (1.25 MB) via the GIMP. Tried the upload, waited for it to complete, got a 502. That first one was a failed POST error from uploading the file.

Now everywhere I go (other than the forums) I get 502 GET failures.

Again, please, I'm *very* very sorry.
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    Hmm...

Well, OP is back up. I dunno if it was an outright crash or just a blip. Still it's an issue. Have you had a chance to stress-test the map generation code yet?

Oh, and I'm not about to try again just yet.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Server crashes can happen for a variety of reasons. The map uploading is very taxing, so it's a good guess. Still, like you said, the server came back after a little bit.

We're stress-testing the map uploading as we go along. In other words, you guys do a better job of it than I do. That's what you get for being a beta-tester/early adopter.

Try resizing your map to 1024x1024 and using a higher quality. You should be able to easily get under 500K and still have a good quality image.