First time DM running AD&D 2.0, NPC Thief question.

Joettle
Joettle
edited October 2010 in General Archive
Hi, all.

I'm a first time DM running a solo adventure in AD&D 2.0. I'm about to have a thief break into my player's room and I'm not sure what skills I need to check for breaking and entering, chances for noise and all that. Can anybody guide me where to look or give me a quick rundown?

Thanks

Comments

• DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Wow... 2.0, it's been a long time. Gonna have to check the web for this one... Have you written down some quick stats for the NPC thief? If so have you filled out the percentile chance for success for their various theif skills? (I honestly don't remember if they add points or if the percentiles go up a certain amount at certain levels...) If this is all filled out on the sheet then this should be pretty easy.

If they need to open a lock they will have to roll a successful open locks check, which would be done by rolling percentile dice and getting a result under the percent on their sheet next to Open Locks.The character may wish to detect traps in the room (even if there isn't because they won't know until they check) if so they will have to roll a Find/Remove Traps check. To not make noise they should make a Move Silent check. If they do make noise they may wish to Hide in Shadows if someone checks the room out.....

Basically its just like that. Looking at the list of thief skills just imagine the scenario in your head and make the rolll appropriate skill checks for whatever they are attempting to do, such as open a lock or move silently. You're the DM so its all up to you. You may want to give your player a chance to detect the theif so they feel like they have a say in whats going on and not just that things are happening to them out of their control. Maybe you can give the player a chance to hear the thief, or make opposed checks of some sort, their listen vs the thiefs move silently, whoever gets the better score is the winner...

As the DM you are the arbitrator of all situations and just have to use your judgement about situations, even if that just means making something up, just like "Roll a 20-sided". and having a general idea in your head as to what number range is a success for the player.

Good luck!
  • Joettle
    Joettle
    Oh, that makes sense. I thought about having him come in the window so it would be climb walls and move silently to see if the window makes noise etc. Ok, great. Yeah, I'll definitely have my player make a perception check or two. Thanks!
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Glad I could help. Have fun!