Good Day

CoreyGuffey
edited September 2010 in Player Lounge
I started playing D&D a few years back, and I was in love at first sight. I've been a gamer all my life especially with RPGs and when my friend says hey you wanna play D&D a whole new world opened up for me. Now I haven't played D&D hardcore simply because hardly anyone i know plays or even knows anything about D&D mainly when I first played it was a fluke of a chance and to add insult to injury I ended up moving meaning that friend that loved D&D and I played with went away too. Now since being out of highschool ive finally got all the time to play and a few friends who are interested in playing but another problem arose, none of us knew about being a DM so i took it upon myself to learn and build our campaign which in turn suited my taste since i enjoy writing and creating things of fantasy. I know about the encounters thing thats been going on here recently where card shops or the like have a hosted 2 hour session where you can go play or even DM but I wanted to do this in the comfort of my own home surrounded by my close friends having fun like we did in high school. I'm still learning, and I don't know everything yet but i do know what i want to do with my Campaigns and i guess thats a start.

Comments

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome to the Portal Corey! You are among good company. Conversations about gaming mechanics and tricks and tips come up frequently here and we all love to share ideas with each other. Feel free to ask and gaming, or site formatting questions you like. Also, throw up a link to your site and you will receive helpful feedback from the community.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Corey, that is just plain inspirational! I am so happy you've decided to make Obsidian Portal a part of your formative D&D years! In fact, I'm a bit jealous. I can remember those fumbling moments when I was just starting out, trying to come to terms with directing the dramatic aspects of a game while adhering to a set of logic-based mechanics. I can only imagine how much your experiences here, both with your Campaign wiki and here in the forums, could be to your benefit.

I mirror Arsheesh's welcome and offer of assistance. Any questions, you send them Duskreign's way!

"Duskreign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Duskreign

"Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Top o'the mornin, Corey!

I must parrot Dusk, who really must learn to go to sleep, as it's in the wee hours where he lives, innit?

I've never quite had the pleasure of D&Ding with any sort of serious group in person, unfortunately. The last time I tried one of the guys (A bit thick in the head), decided "Look, the PHB has all these stats for farm animals and land and stuff... My Level 5 fighter is now a farmer!"...and that killed off that quite nicely.

For me it's always been play by chat, which is in the comfort of my own home, with friends. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about mis-speaking. There's always spellcheck, and long winded preparations.

Don't send questions to Dusk! Send them to me! I was here first!! (And by here first, I merely mean that my current geolocation puts me far in the future of most of the OPites. - This begs the question... is the Obsidian Portal forum OPum?)
    Post edited by RaseCidraen on
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi CoreyGuffey

Welcome to the OP. You will find it very cool here. Those chaps who have already entered are all very cool to talk to so I'm sure you will have no shortage of advice on this site. You can also get quite good advice on the Wizards of the Coast forums if you are looking for D&D specific stuff.

Keep well,
    twiggyleaf

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• sandman
    sandman
    Welcome Corey, feel free to ask anything and everything you need about D&D, DMing, and/or questions about how to work with the wiki and stuff. This community is great and full of people willing to help.

Cheers,
    SANDMAN