What happens to Obsidian Portal at 1:00 AM Pacific?

Duskreign
Duskreign
edited September 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
This isn't a complaint or anything, mind you, but I have noticed that whenever I am working on my wikis and 4 AM rolls around (I'm in NY, and I know y'all are West Coast fellas), the system doesn't allow me to save anything for a bit, and sometimes I wind up losing a little progress on my site updates.

I figured out the pattern, and I've kind of been working around it, but I need to know if this is an Obsidian Portal thing or perhaps a local ISP throttling my bandwidth at exactly 4AM, and it just happens to always coincide with my time on Obsidian Portal.

Thanks in advance for any answers you may have!

- Duskreign

Comments

• RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...curious. 4 AM East Coast is... what... 9 AM Ireland time? Hm... I wonder if I can replicate the same effect before I dash off to work tomorrow...
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Every night at precisely 1AM Obsidian Portal transforms into a wereworlf and must feed! It heads over to discovery(.com) to eat some wild animals. All because an update went wrong on the night of a full moon.

That's my guess.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    On a more mundane note, it could simply be a server function, perhaps an auto backup or some such.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Is it ok if I would rather accept DarkMagus's answer?

I knew it had to be something with the Portal's maintenance schedule or something, and I knew that if that was the case, it was super important and not worth worrying too much about. I was really just curious. :)
  • autumnschild
    autumnschild
    I'm not sure myself. They say that young women and plump children should refrain from updating their Obsidian Portal campaigns during that time, perhaps there is something to DarkMagus's answer. (dun dun dun)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    You had me at dun dun dun!
  • sandman
    sandman
    I have another theory if you are interested Duskreign... ever wonder why it's called obsidian PORTAL? Each night at 1 AM the site crosses a portal and goes to the far realm... THAT'S why you end up losing little bits of progress on your campaigns, because the far realm is slowly, but surely, twisting the system. That's also the reason for the backup feature, it's the only way the devs can provide you with something to hold on to in case the site never returns from one of those nightly journeys...

WHAT exactly is the site looking for in the far realm is beyond me... my guess is that it's looking for better updates for the site... otherwise: where do you think those cool updates come from? Micah? Ryan? Autumnschild? NO! It's probably a twisted brain-in-a-jar that's living in the far realm.... maybe even a spleen-in-a-jar, hahaha.

Well... that's my theory... I could be wrong though..
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    I thought that possibly GlaDOS just gets annoyed with all humans and chucks a hissy fit at those times.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    9 AM GMT

Somewhere near the shores of a dark Scottish loch, a lone fox stirs at the sound of baying dogs.

It springs from its den and bounds into the thick brush of the moor, only to realize that the sound is intensifying, and that it was not the cry of the huntsman's howling hounds. No, this sound, which grows deeper, thicker, more viscous and invasive, is that of the Obsidian Portal, luring it into its savage, gnashing maw.

Another morning comes and goes. Another innocent Scots fox passes on. Another meal for the deadly Obsidian Portal.

By the way, this has NOTHING to do with this forum discussion. You can't un-read it, so nyah!
    Post edited by Duskreign on