A game, because I'm bored..

Embirsiphone
Embirsiphone
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
I wanted to do a random thread where people ask questions and get answers, my first question is what's the top five nerdiest things you own?

In no particular order mine are

Chainmail dice bag
DM wristband(which is currently lost, but still)
Figurine paint, even though I have no figurines..
Double sets of AD&D books
Bodyshot Dice.. Mostly because I bought it without thinking of it's uses for DM, I just wanted one

Comments

• Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Can't say that I have five specifically "nerdy" things, at least not those kind. I do however have a room wallpapered with action figures in their packaging, and a five shelf bookshelf full of LOTR guys that are freestanding (the ones that can, anyway) So although they number well over a hundred, I will count "figures" as one.

A few Marvel T-Shirts, also counting as one item.

I've gotten lucky (debatable) in that I've never really had to buy that much for gaming purposes, as there have always been enough copies of books, and mini's, etc. around for me to use/borrow, and since I don't think you can count PDF files as items you own...my dice make three total geeky things that I own. haha...3...that's rich.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    speaking of lord of the rings.. I have a paperback box set of all four books that's priced had a price sticker on it that said 6.99..
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Craptons of Star Trek toys and shirts.
    Couple swords
    1000+ dice in a screw sorting toolbox
    58 video game systems ranging from an Odyssee to the XBox 360
    An 8 year old daughter that writes Pokemon fanfiction. (It's not very good, but the effort is incredibly nerdy)

And what is the proudest nerd moment for everyone?

Mine was a few months ago at Wal-Mart with my daughter (the 8 year old mentioned above) in the toy section. We walked by the light saber toys and I grabbed a red one and flipped it out and looked at my daughter and said " *I am your father* "

Without missing a beat she grabbed the blue one, flipped it out and yelled "That's not TRUE, _That's IMPOSSIBLE_ "

And we light saber battled throughout the toy section until my wife made us stop.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    ... I hope my daughter is that incredibly nerdy when she get's older.. and for me it's probably when I came out from the kitchen and discovered my daughter downloading kid's game from online.. when no one had ever showed her how.. Also you're daughter is awesome.. :D

My daughter's three btw
    Post edited by Embirsiphone on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Swords aren't nerdy! Okay, maybe they are, bring my total to 4 haha.

Proudest moment was probably when I was bartending in a busy pub, and I was doing giveaways/draws, etc. Mostly sports stuff, beer promos, etc, but I snuck a tube of dice into the mix, and announced over the PA that "the winner of the next prize is the first person that comes up here that will admit that they've played an 8th level Paladin!" Unfortunately, either there were no gamers in the bar, or no proud ones, because no one would claim the prize and I proudly admitted that "I guess I'm the only one...how about any level of Ranger? No...okay...moving on."
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    That's awesome.. though where I live I'd get the same reaction..

And personally my proudest nerd moment for me would probably be when i got to play dungeons and dragons with someone who played with Gary Gygax way before DnD was famous.. well that's what he said buut I like to think it's true cause for me that's sort of awesome :D
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Jim, that is amazing.

Hmm... Nerdy things i own...

I have 5 guitars for guitar hero, from different systems. I've broken two from playing too much. Also broke a drumset.
    I have gaming books for 8 different systems.
    Hmm... I own probably 300-400 books, and 95% are fantasy or sci-fi.
    This is harder than i expected... Oh, I have a Halo action figured signed by Todd McFarlane, got it from the McFarlane store in Tempe, AZ.
    I have surprisingly little REALLY nerdy stuff... I have a collection of 6 swords, and several Ruth Thompson pieces of art that are matted and framed...

I think that's about it. I have lots of nerdy stuff compared to normal people... but here? ;)
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Crapsaith. Halo stuff doesn't count as nerdy does it? I used to moderate over at Bungie.net and they sent me a whole box of cool swag. Calendars, figures, toys, discs, a Halo 2 "beta" disc, Ilovebees crap and other stuff.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Depends on the stuff, I think. I think it maybe depends on whether YOU consider it nerdy. Some people would consider a sword collection to be nerdy, some would think of it as kinda scary. A couple of McFarlane sports figures of players you like probably isn't nerdy, but buying them at random because you find one on sale somewhere (looking around to make sure no one's looking at me)...kinda nerdy. Also depends on the people you're talking to. Like gaaran said...I'me geekier than most, too, but for this place? Maybe not so much. I'll try to do better.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    I have swords.. lots of them.. I guess it is sort of nerdy..

I'm not sure at what love of geek I am.. though i do know I was probably one of the geekier kids in my highschool
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I am a level 17 geek I think. The wal-mart thing had to have been worth 2 levels by itself.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    yeah.. Hmm I think I'm like a level 10 Geek.. I love geeky things but I don't own a lot of them.. that and most of my friends aren't as geeky as me so I can't really level up :D
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I guess the only really geeky stuff I have is:

A filing cabinet full of graphic novels
    3 PCs, 1 Convertible Tablet Laptop, 1 Netbook, 1 iPad, 1 iPod Touch
    A 24x36 poster print of the world map of Wyrmshadow
    A custom Wyrmshadow t-shirt
    An Xbox-360
    About 60 old school Transformers toys
    About 400 D&D, Mage Knight, and Heroscape minis
    An entire room of my house devoted to tabletop gaming
    About 100 extra pounds of body weight and neither the drive nor the desire to lose it
    A wife who plays D&D
    Every MegaBloks Dragon I could get my hands on (over 30 of them).
    A red cape for DMing (I never use it, and it was originally for a halloween costume)
    A three-foot-tall Batman statue in my living room.

I think that's everything.

So, what level am I?
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I'd say somewhere between 8-12, if you wore the cape 11-15.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Probably the "DM t-shirt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/the-ilumnos-series/wikis/shirts I had made for my current campaign. Last christmas I made custom shirts for all the players with the campaign logo on it and their character's name on the back. Mine just says Dungeon Master below the logo and is blank on the back, I almost always wear it for gaming.

Boxes and boxes of books (fiction and non).

All of my gaming stuff: books, magazines, dice- including a giant pillowy d10 I got from one of my players, maps, old notebooks with random adventures scribbled in them... etc

The Fall '09 issue of Human Architecture: Journal of the sociology of self-knowledge, which printed one of my papers. (Proof of professional nerdiness!)

I bet there's more I could think of... hmmm....

Jim: That's adorable! :) My seven year old son sits and listens to us when we game like 90% of the time. I scared the crap out of him recently during an adventure when the party saw someone fall dead of this mysterious illness and then rise back from the dead moments later. He's kind of in a zombie phase right now, but apparently my descrition and the music was too much for him.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    MY daughter plays with my dice a lot...

books count in that case I have like a lot.. yeah..
  • Ydeon
    Ydeon
    Ohh....this is hard nerdy things in my life:

I own three laptops and a PC, and I use them a lot.

I chose the degree I'm currently studying purely on how geeky it is, because really, when you say you're studying Neuroinformatics there is no way someone can doubt how geeky you are.

My first geek love was The Matrix: I have a single figurine, Morpheus with the chair and table with the telephone from the first movie. LOVE IT.

I just bought a DDR mat...and yes I play...and yes when Kinect comes out I'm getting the silly dance game. (Is that geeky or just sad?)

My girlfriend is a massive geek as well: She owns all current generation consoles. She got me into playing WoW and we raid together (On hiatus right now though). She RPs with me. For our anniversary we went to watch Scott Pilgrim, and part of my gift to her was "dice":http://www.flickr.com/photos/14412613@N00/4926839436/ for our upcoming WoD and Monsters games.
    Post edited by Ydeon on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Lets see... my physical geekishness is...well, not quite as high as I'd like, unfortunately, but it's pretty much all there, even with lack of representation. I mean, I barely have 5 geeky projects/posessions:

1.) Building a Karaoke Machine from scratch
    2.) Rebuilding an ancient Coca Cola Vending Machine
    3.) A laptop purposefully designed for D&D with mostly everything customized
    4.) An AutoCAD design program that I have, on multiple occasions, repurposed for non-Engineering related disciplines (If you need it, I can probably generate a 3d Model for it, in theory)
    5.) A long history playing Ultima Online, DDO, LOTRO, AoC, WoW, WAR, Everquest - Not necessarily in that order.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    HAhahaha, I just found an old 286 with a massive 40 MB hard drive filled with old MUDD logs from AOL.
  • Silence_Eve
    Silence_Eve
    I was the one that gave Embir the DM wristband. But let's see what I have:

I have Excalibur
    A cane sword
    A double sided kunai with the ANBU marking on the blade
    A necklace with a D20 on it
    Sabaku no Gaara wristband
    18" Captain Jack Sparrow talking doll from the first movie
    2 InuYasha shirts
    2 Rurouni Kenshin shirts
    Dice belly ring
    2 other Facebook accounts for people I created
  • Silence_Eve
    Silence_Eve
    Oh and a history of playing the following games:

Morrowind plus Expansion/Game of the Year
    Oblivion plus Expansion/Game of the Year
    Guild Wars
    _(soon Guild Wars 2)_
    Quake Wars 3
    Quake Wars: Enemy Territories
    Dragon Age Origins _(need to get Awakening and Darkspawn Chronicles)_
    Dungeon Lords
    Fable
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    * A jack of plates (basically a late medieval leather coated lorica segmentata) with sallet and pauldrons (I sold the arm harness, mail, swords and daggers). From my re-enactment days.
    * A few thousand lead miniatures - only 10% of them are still currently being reproduced. The rest are from no longer existent companies (such as Legions of Steel and Kryomek) or have been disowned and shunned by Games Workshop (I'm very proud to own 5 Zoats for example). About half are painted.
    * Four different editions of the Lord of the Rings (mine, my wife's, the old 2nd version impulse bought, and the good quality version for a birthday of my wife's)
    * An uncashed coupon from Creation Entertaiment for winning a fan-made music video competition for Farscape. For that matter - the signed program for Tascape (first Aussie unofficial convention), slightly ripped.
    * Three portable electronic devices that tend to be carried with me everywhere - that are open source (BeBook Neo, iRiver with RockBox, Nexus One).
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    My nerdiest possessions:

- A sword, from when I got knighted in Amtgard (and cleaving to tradition, I stopped playing shortly afterward)
    - My collection of 4th-ed D&D books
    - A pink vinyl purse that looks like a six-sider (I use it as a dice bag, of course)
    - My "Yes, they're natural" T-shirt from Pegasus Press
    - A black sports bra autographed by my favorite author, Peter S. Beagle (the first of its kind, and possibly still the only)
    Post edited by FemmeLegion on
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    While geeky--I wouldn't give up any of them. They are in no particular order.

- A blunderbuss musket. Bought recently at a convention. Seeking my first costume since grade school; to go with the musket. It's a replica and I would never fire it (for fear of it exploding in my face). Realistic, no?
    - A crown-royal box (real wood, purple interior) filled with dice. And more dice besides. Crown-royal (a type of alcohol) comes in a fake-velor bag that's purple with a gold draw-string. Most of my friends claim it makes the best of dice bags.
    - A science geek toy that expands when you toss it. Forget what it's called. Have to hide it when my geek friends come over as it is the favorite fidget toy.
    - A certificate of thanks from a role playing community. Received for writing a ridiculous amount of fan-created stuff. Proud as punch over that thing; still I hide it behind the office (always open) door as part of my me-wall.
    - My incomplete set of Encyclopedia Harnica. If you know what that is - I salute you. If you have some -- well then, we're of a similar age.
    Post edited by ketherian on
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    The Hoberman Sphere! My husband has one of those.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Ahhh, some clean-up.

"Game corner":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/0901114443.jpg

"Game corner 2":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/0901114511.jpg

"Movies":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/0901114536.jpg

"The Idiot Box":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/0901114552.jpg

"The idiot box's friends and cousin.":http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/intothebreach_album/0901114605.jpg

A week of rearranging and cleaning.

The older pics:

"Nintendo!":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/DSC00002.jpg

"Dice Towers":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/792a.jpg

"These little fastener/screw/nail storage bin things are AWESOME for dice.":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/DSC00012.jpg

Now the ultimate geek food. ( 4chan's /tg/ers know about this already! )

"Cook various amounts of meats. Beef and lamb and pork and whatever else here, alond with onions, green pepper, and jalapenos. Garlic, paprika, salt and pepper etc. Spice to taste.":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/00006.jpg

"Roll out dough, layer in meat and buttloads of cheese.":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/00007.jpg

"Bake that sh*t!! I actually keep butter soft on the stove with a grill brush and paint the edges to crisp them nice.":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/00008.jpg

"Slice thin":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/00009.jpg

"Nom it.":http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/GameJunkieJim/00010.jpg
  • Dra8er
    Dra8er
    Jeeze way to man tings to list, within reaching distance of my PC;

New D&D Orcus miniature (Came in the mail today, boy are my players in for some trouble!)
    NERF N-Force Weapons on a weapon rack (Battle Axe, Mace Axe, Stonewall Shield & Sword, Marauder & Shadow Fury swords)
    5 copies of HALO REACH sitting next to my new HALO REACH Xbox360 (yes 3 days before you can buy it)
    A large bookcase with about 500 D&D miniatures & HeroScape scenery

& finally my pi
  • Dra8er
    Dra8er
    wait wait, I just upped the ante, I just joined The Darkon Wargaming Club today - http://www.darkon.org/