Worse Monsters in Dungeons and Dragons

Embirsiphone
Embirsiphone
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Well what say you?

Comments

• gaaran
    gaaran
    The Gazebo! (I actually don't know where the gazebo originated, but it's a staple now...)

Also, the gelatinous cube. Oh no, how do we win? Uh... walk away?
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Any that are tougher than my party. Or too easy to overcome. Or easily forgotten. And I'm not a fan of anything that does CON damage. Or STR damage. Or any ability drain really. And Banshees.

I'm sure I'll come up with more. (maybe even specific ones)
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    The Demon Hand is mine.. though technically I made it up with the Help of Silence :D
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    I actually put my players up against a pair of Raggamoffyns. They cursed my name for making them fight animated undergarments.

Also, see "this article":http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm for more ideas.
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Anything that can teleport at will
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Oooo I hate those things!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    "Via MAGIC, my link has changed into something Gnunn DIDN'T post already!":http://www.cracked.com/article_17455_15-retarded-dungeons-dragons-monsters.html
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    My most hatedest monster are House Spiders. It's an adjective that never should have met that other word that SHALL NOT BE NAMED again!

...but I'm most a-feared of the gazebo.
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Bulletes and Rust Monsters are annoying critter peeves of mine. Also shrieker mushrooms. Always hated them.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...for some reason, I read that as Bullets, and I agree. They annoy me too :)
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Beat you to the link Dusk... I suggest you take improved initiative next level *snorts and sips delicately from his steaming mug of Mountain Dew*

Also, re Rust Monsters: I am currently ratcheting up the neuroses of my players by pitting them against a group of vampires who use rust monsters as guard/attack dogs. They showed up to a rival thieve's guild my party is working for and brought along a couple rusters to hold the warforged doormen at bay.

Now my players have all created equipment loadouts that do away with ANY metal armor or weapons - i.e. all of their silver and magical weapons that can bypass a vamps DR! - The materialistic nature of my PCs has them more worried about possibly losing a +1 rapier to a rust monster than getting level-drained to death by a bunch of vamps... ah well, learn by experience.

And to be fair about the Raggamoffyns... in my case, they were guarding the lair of a beholder whose favorite hobby was to dress up basilisk victims in embarrassing clothes and put them on display in his lair, so it made about as much sense as it possibly could.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    Ah! Rustmonsters really bite. I can remember going against one and not knowing what it was, shooting and arrow and having it be completely in effective.. my character had to resort to beating the thing with it's bow.. which snapped and had to be replaced..

That encounter sounds hilarious though Gnunn.. beholders are fun to play around with.. even if tehy are messed up looking..
  • VociferousUrsus
    VociferousUrsus
    I find that my favorite monsters are normally the "worst" monsters to my players.

Players apparently hate: Clay Golems, Vampires, Gelatenous Cubes, Mind Flayers.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    I dunno, my players hate pixies.. :D
  • VociferousUrsus
    VociferousUrsus
    I hate pixies. /troll
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    i use them as annoying punishments for my players when they're getting out of hand.. my brother hate them now.. even the slightest hint of a pixie or small fey like creature sends him into a rant.. it's awesome :D
  • SkyeAgeis
    SkyeAgeis
    phase spiders, enough said!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    AAAGH! God damn phase spiders!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Phase spiders count as my earlier teleporting post...at least I hope so, because they were a big part of why I thought of teleporting monsters.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    They technically phase, becoming ethereal and capable of moving in any direction through solid matter. It's basically "this spell":http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm as an innate ability.

But yes, I guess you can share credit with SkyeAegis for naming my least favorite D&D monster. Yay!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Pretty sure you mean "Boooooo, phase spiders, booooooooo!"
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    ps. as far as I'm concerned, ethereal jaunt is generally accepted by the masses as a teleport, (except geeks, theoretical scholars, and wizards, any of which I would be honored to be considered) even if it's not technically true. Boooo for semantics! But yay for semantics!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I am a theoretical geek. Does that count?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PHASE SPIDERS!

Teleport is instantaneous. You wink out of existence and reappear instantaneously elsewhere. Phasing grants you insubstantial invisibility, but you move at half your movement speed (though I believe phase spiders move at their normal speed when phased).

But me? Geek? No. :P
    Post edited by Duskreign on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I believe that would make you a geek-ish theoretical scholar...wait you didn't site a source, so...yep, you're right about your title of theoretical geek. But I still think that unless you made a dc 15 knowledge (planar) check, of which the masses would fail, you would assume they were teleporting. but I don't have a degree in geekdom either, so my fantasy logic has no collaboration from a journal or anything.

As I've said on other threads...I'm not as geeky as I want to be, but I'm trying.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    You'll get there, kiddo.
  • Embirsiphone
    Embirsiphone
    lol We all get there evetually :D

Though in all fairness teleportation and Phasing are really from the same realm of science, because it's displacement of atoms..

And Dusk is an awesome geek:D
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Anything that appears in this webcomic-
    "Speak with Monsters":http://speakwithmonsters.badgods.com/
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    OMG I love Lore Sjoberg's stuff! I wish he'd start re-printing the "I'm Somebody's Fetish" shirt. It's just not the same buying it from anyone else.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    In my current campaign (Rise of the Runelords) there was initially a true hatred of dogs (well, Goblin dogs specifically). One German Shepperd named Buddy saved his species from the serious hate the party had from dogs; mostly by Criting all the time against the Goblins that were trying to overrun the party.

Now (that we're in chapter 2) their hatred is growing and they hate ghouls; although flying blinking dogs with DR is still a close second.

In my opinion I could be a ranger, for I hate the following three with a passion - gelatinous cubes, rust monsters, and giant versions of normal animals.