Texan (for now) gamer

Gyix
edited December 2007 in Player Lounge

Comments

• Gyix
    Sup peoples!!

i've been a player for....a while, but i havent been able to get any kind of session found in my neck of the woods. Mainly cause i'm new to this part of the country, and I work...a LOT...

one day i happened to see an advertisement on MySpace....and here i am, looking for a way to scratch the RP itch i've had for probally the last year

I've played several game systems (Rifts, WoD, M:TA, Exalted) but most my experiance is in DnD 3.5 and Vampire: The Masquerade (for which i have several characters from past Campaigns) of course, i'm used to several House Rules that make the game systems more...uhmm...lethal

Example: V:TM rules for guns...you roll a number of d10's equal to the guns damage right? WRONG! you roll to hit...Dex + Firearms for those that dont know =P then instead of rolling damage...you just deal the guns base damage...of course, there's more to it then jsut that, but i wont bore anyone =P you can ask if you wanna know

i've tried chatbased games, and if its run correctlly, i LOVE it (mIRC is an AWSOME tool for chat-based RP) but i dont care too much for forum based...too much of a delay...

i've also run some Alternity / D20 modern games...and i've tested the waters of GMing and Storytelling...i'm not that good unless i'm...err...nvm that =P

anyway, i'm here floating around, checking out campaigns, and trying to figure out whats what and whos where and where's how, and what's why

peace
    Gyix
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    Welcome to the Portal!

bq. i’ve tried chatbased games, and if its run correctlly, i LOVE it (mIRC is an AWSOME tool for chat-based RP) but i dont care too much for forum based…too much of a delay…

There are a couple of really good chat based games here. The one that comes immediately to mind is Brave New World. Meanwhile, I have to agree with you on forum based play. Just doesn't do it for me- especially if you wait a week or two for your turn to come up in combat only to roll a 3 and miss...
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Thanks for the plug, photoneater!

You also might want to check out Cold Blood by Darth Krzysztof, he plays with me in Brave New World and I play in his game, both of which are chat based. If you're available Tuesday evenings, Darth may be interested in a third player, although you'd really have to approach him about that. Our style of play tends to be dramatic, emotional, and verbose, so it's not everyone's cup of tea, I know. We also aren't big on lethality.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    Ah, Cold Blood. That's another one I knew about, and I couldn't think of the name. I guess I could have, you know, looked it up, but I wasn't feeling too motivated today.

bq. Our style of play tends to be dramatic, emotional, and verbose, so it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I know.

Has anyone ever called one of your games a soap opera with swords, just out of curiosity?

bq. We also aren’t big on lethality.

Me either. Save or die stuff always makes me go all "BUT... BUT... THE STORY!!" and have a little melt down.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Um . . . I don't think so. If anyone is calling my game a soap opera, they haven't told me about it.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. Um . . . I don’t think so. If anyone is calling my game a soap opera, they haven’t told me about it.

I was just curious, because I tend to get that a lot about our games. We tend to focus more on character development, dialog, and drama, so a lot of other players in my area (who tend to lean more towards kick-in-the-door dungeon crawls) never quite know how to take it.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    *laugh* Photoneater, my DM's games have been lovingly called "cosmic creepfests". But one of his current campaigns is in the Scion: Hero game system, so at least you kind of EXPECT that. He's really big on drama and intrigue and moral dilemma after moral dilemma. And romance, though the two of us who are in both his current campaigns are actively trying to dodge it in the Scion game.
  • Gyix
    well, i guess i could have been a bit more clear on the lethality part......combat was very...dangerous, but there was a LOT more to the stories then just combat...lots of roleplay, LOTS of politicial and social manuvering..at least with V:TM...combat only came in when the political and social plans backfired.

and depending on the definition of tuesday evenings i may be....guess i'll take a peek around and see what things look like, and maybe drop a line, thanks for the info =)
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    Welcome Gyix. :) Just realized that while I've read this forum post 3 or 4 times, I never said hello. :)
  • AidanDark
    AidanDark
    Welcome Gyix :D