Can't Get Character or Wiki Page linking to work from Dropdown

pelwer
pelwer
edited February 2010 in Bug Reports
Folks,
I watched the videos ( very nice ) and saw that I should be able to insert links to Characters and Pages using the dropdowns and buttons when editing the text boxes of the Adventure Log.

My characters and pages show up in the drop down lists, but the insert button doesn't do anything for me.

Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Pat.

Comments

• SqueeEGA
    SqueeEGA
    You may need to select what you want to insert, and then click into the text box so the cursor appears, and then click insert. Thats all I can think of.

Squee
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Your browser may have Javascript crippled or disabled. I use Firefox about 80% of the time and sometimes I get a "warning" from Firefox that Javascript is running on the page, so I dunno.
  • templeorder
    templeorder
    I've tried manually, i've tried with the drop down and it is impossible to link to one of my pages.

FROM
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dunstrand-rising/wikis/civil-war-play-scenarios
    - what you see there now is using the drop down...

try to link to:
    [[Lights Law, Retribution, and Trial]]

It simply will NOT work. Do i have to start creating hyperlinks manually? That kinda defeats the purpose of a wiki...
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    Well, I dunno how much it 'defeats' the purpose... but it's not as convenient. Most wiki's do not have such a drop down feature so I honestly didn't miss it much when I started here.

It works well enough though. I actually make manual 'external' links so I don't have to color the links light blue (I use a dark background and the internal links are hard to read, and I don't feel like putting inline formatting on my links.
  • templeorder
    templeorder
    To me, thats the point of a wiki - contributors do not have to know HTML. You can use HTML if you know to... but many of my players are not that sophisticated and if they want to make a link, then how do they resolve this issue? And its not convenience at stake, its just not working... i want to know why and how to fix it. Work-arounds are last ditch solutions...
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche
    I don't know HTML, I've just been getting help from the other members here. Everyone is really nice and helpful.

Just remember the brackets, it's super easy! [[PAGE]]

If you want a more uniform look, use the "PAGENAME":http://PAGELINK function.

This is all the dropdown does. I would suggest checking your browser settings again though, I've only checked on Firefox, Opera, IE8, and IE6, but they all seem to work perfectly.

It's been said before, but a bit of redundancy may be in order: Find the page you want in the drop down, Click on it so it highlights, then click Insert.
    I hope this helps!
  • templeorder
    templeorder
    I wish it did, but its not. Its only that one page as well. I run several wiki's at work and i'm a web developer... so i know these technologies like the back of my hand... which is what makes it soooo puzzling. Ah well.. not to worry tonight... Ronnie James Dio is dead and so i must mourn... much more important
  • pelwer
    pelwer
    Jim, Folks,

Thanks for the tips. Turns out it was an issue with the WYSIWYG editor.

Now that OP has switched to the Textile text edit boxes, the feature works fine.

thanks for the help!
    Pat.
  • freyja3120
    freyja3120
    I'm having a similar problem, though I believe I've found the solution. Thought I'd post it in case it helps anyone.

The wiki will allow you to name you pages with things that can't be linked to (in this case, a question mark in the name) when you name via the create page rather than a hyperlink. In my case, when I try to link to it (pulldown box and otherwise) it was completely blank, not a broken link, not text, just invisible. When I went back and removed the question mark, it allowed me to link.