making column widths equal

Kurayami
Kurayami
edited June 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
When making a table using the textile formatting, the width of the columns automatically change depending on the length of the text within the cells of the column. I'm trying to create a table where the column widths are equal regardless of inputted text. I've found some things on HTML, but I'm writing mostly in textile and haven't found a way to input cell width. Is there a way to create a table with equal width columns using textile?

I appreciate any help or tips.

Comments

• gnunn
    gnunn
    I don't know if you can automatically make all widths equal, but you can definitely set column widths manually, by entering a {width:##px} attribute into the formatting for the cells in the first row like so...

|{width:50px}. Cell1 |{width:100px}. Cell 2 |{width:150px}. Cell 3 |
    | Cell 4 | Cell 5 | Cell 6 |
    | Cell 7 | Cell 8 | Cell 9 |
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Ah! You can also enter a % of total table width into the cell modifier.

eg.

|{width:25%}. Cell1 |{width:25%}. Cell2 |{width:25%}. Cell3 |{width:25%}. Cell4 |
    | Cell 5 | Cell 6 | Cell 7 | Cell 8 |
    Post edited by gnunn on
  • Kurayami
    Kurayami
    Thank you! That helped immensely!
  • Fluke
    Fluke
    I tried applying this to my character sheet, to reduce the overall width of my tables, so I could add in a sidebar without everything getting messed up and when I saved the changes it just displayed the code on the browser page; how would I insert this into the following code to restrict the overall width?

table{border:1px solid black}.
    |\4={background:#000}. %{color:#ffffff}**Statistics**%|
    |\2=.Lineage: Muzri|\2=.House: Kanjim|
    |\2=.Nationality: Tishinian|\2=.Profession: Honor Guard|
    |\2=.Social Standing: Sunborn/Mid|\2=.Jenu: Crocodile|
    |Age: 53|Height: 5'10"|Weight: 820lb|Sex: Male|
    |\4=.Distinguishing Marks: Dyed Battle Scars|
    |\4=.Habitual Mannerisms: Belches at inappropriate times, Overconfident, Craves Rotten Meat|
    |\4=.Common Attire: Mostly drab-colored body wraps underneath Chitin armor plates when on duty or traveling|
    |\4=.House Dress: Brightly-colored body wraps and sashes with linen hand and foot wraps|
  • Kurayami
    Kurayami
    After "table", put width:##px before the border and separate with semi-colons. Like this:

table{width:500px;border:1px solid black}.

Then if you want to control the widths of each individual column put it inside the vertical lines as explained by gnunn above.
  • Fluke
    Fluke
    Awesome! Many thanks!
  • Fluke
    Fluke
    Worked like a charm! "My Character":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/house-kanjim/characters/ony-kachi-bahij I'll be updating the rest of my characters with this new knowledge, too! ;-D