Stat Block Templates

TroyAlford
TroyAlford
edited December 2007 in Feature Requests

Comments

• TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    This is definitely a large undertaking, and something I would expect to arrive a good distance DOWN the priority list for quite a while... but as the community grows, I would love the ability to have customizable templates to track stat blocks with - perhaps one for each rule system that we support... What do I mean by this?

A character in D20, for instance, could have a template which allows them to enter in all the pertinent information for their character, and have a pretty HTML sheet output. Rather than plain-text for the "Crunch" section, the character would appear on a sheet.

I've built systems like this before, and would be happy to help work out some of the technical details of how it would work (I'm thinking perhaps an XML template which could be parsed for display, or passed through a system-specific handler to create the desired output). I guess my real question is - does that seem like the type of thing that any other members would find valuable enough to spend time on? Or are we, as a community, less-concerned with the numbers - to the point that we wouldn't feel benefitted by a character-sheet tracker?
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I can see the potential utility of it from an "oh no I left my character sheet at home" standpoint, but as you mentioned, it's a large undertaking because of all the different game systems that are welcomed here.

Personally I care more about fluff than crunch - I mostly include crunch to make it easier for folks to translate my characters into other game systems. Bigger = better for most game systems now, so folks can look at Nicole's 1 dot of Dex and 3 dots of Wits and correctly conclude that she's fairly quick on the uptake, but not so quick on the draw. Those same folks could then translate that to a 10 Dex and 15 Wisdom in the d20 system, or whatever.

But this is just me. =)
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    That's a huge task, but I think it could be helpful, only so long as you can opt out of using a uniform character sheet in the case of house rules. For example, two of the three games I am a part of don't follow the conventional rules of their respective systems at all, and to try and squeeze all of that into a standard character sheet would be pretty obnoxious. Of course, I tend to opt out of heavy mechanics, anyway, as I see the site as more of a place to archive and preserve the events, characters, and history of a game rather than a place to showcase the mechanical aspect of the game, so my take on this issue is probably somewhat biased.
  • Jason
    Jason
    I use "Crystal Ball":http://homepage.mac.com/crystalballmac/crystalball/ on my Mac to keep track of NPC stats. It has a nice "Generate Stat Block" feature that's done wonders for my "Description" fields.
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    Sounds like good reason to believe that - at least those responding so far - would be impressed, but perhaps mostly disinterested in such a feature?

jason: that looks like an interesting program. Too bad it's Mac only :\ Also - it seems to only support D20? Is that true?
  • Jason
    Jason
    Yeah, Crystal Ball is Mac-only and d20-only. Works for me, 'cause I'm using my PowerBook for my D&D Forgotten Realms campaign. But other NPC-management systems are hardly difficult to find for the PC, "PCGen":http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php probably the best-known (though I never liked it much), and I'm pretty sure PCGen handles other games, too. For d20 and no Mac, you might also try "this generator":http://www.aarg.net/%7Eminam/npc2.cgi . But yeah, most of these are system-specific.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I've toyed back and forth with this idea for a while. The original idea for the site was a character/item/spell repository with easy searching. However, the campaign blogging/tracking seemed to be everyone's favorite use, so I ran with it. Besides, there are other character repository sites out there (I didn't know at the time...)

Anyways, I'm leery of trying to add more structured data to the character sheets. It's not a bad idea, as it would make indexing and searching more accurate, but would require that I make some hard choices about what to support. In the beginning I had planned to be D&D centric, but there's a lot of great non-D&D (and non-d20) material on here. Plus, the structured data can get EXTREMELY complicated. Try looking at PCGen and you'll see what I mean. Besides, just reading the few people that posted in this thread, several choose fluff over crunch. Heck, the more I play, the more I head in that direction myself.

One halfway solution would be to provide stat block templates that are pre-formatted Textile templates. Each template would be pre-formatted Textile text that you could copy and paste (or click to insert). Then, you go in and fill in the actual values for the stats and such. Click save and you've got a nicely formatted character sheet without having to learn or fiddle.

Now, no promises on timeline, but what do people think of that?
  • geekevolved
    geekevolved
    That sounds like a good idea. Simple solution too :D
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    You have my generic support and hug-availability for whatever you choose to do. I'm happy for what you've done so far. And I support the idea of a pre-formatted Textile thingy 'cause I'm still trying to get the hang of Textile formatting.

Another quick-and-dirty fix for some folks would be to upload digital character sheets to their webspace and link to them in the "crunch" section for the character on this site.
  • Gyix
    a while back, someone came up with a great lil HTML/XML/java program that works via IE...called PC Profiler....the webpage it used to be on is gone last i checked, and i havent been able to find any mention of it anywhere...but i have a copy...its basically an interactive charactersheet...but anyone that knows HTML can create a sheet for any game system out there...message me and i can e-mail the program...its very tiny (680k)
  • Jason
    Jason
    Here's what I use for d20 3.5:

*Name, gender race ClassLvl:* CR #; Size ? (X ft., Y in. tall); HD
    XdY; hp X; Init +X (+X Dex); Spd X ft.; AC X (+X Dex); Attack +X (weapon
    XdY); SA ???; SQ ???; SV Fort +X, Ref +Y, Will +Z; AL AB; Str X, Dex X,
    Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X.

_Languages Spoken:_ Common.

_Skills and Feats:_ Skill1 +X, Skill2 +Y; Feat1, Feat2.

_??? Spells Per Day:_ X/Y/Z. Base DC = X + spell level.

_Possessions:_ Equipment
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    Micah:

A set of textile stat blocks that are preformatted would be great. :) That is actually very similar to what I was proposing. I hadn't realized until tonight that you guys are using a pregenerated textile parser - which is likely a little more limiting than what I had imagined. However - perhaps we could find a way to let users create a template, and then re-use it? So that for a particular game, if you wanted your NPC stats formatted a certain way - you could just throw together the sheet a single time in textile (or edit a pre-existing textile block) and get standard results each time?

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify or provide an example.