I enjoy world-building. I also enjoy having well fleshed out NPC's, locations and Villains. However due to the business of life, I don't always have the time to work on all of these campaign elements as much as I'd like. It occurred to me that there are probably many others here at the Portal in the same predicament. Perhaps all of us have fleshed out a few elements of our campaign really well, but have other elements that we haven't gotten to yet.
So where am I going with all of this? Well my idea is just this. Why not collaborate with each other to help fill out those aspect of our campaigns that we just haven't gotten to yet? We are all in need of new and interesting NPC's, villains, locales now then as our players venture out into the unexplored parts of our world. Wouldn't it be nice to have some well thought out, ready-made campaign elements at hand to throw into the game at a moments notice? Do you have some NPC or Villain that you are particularly proud of? Or perhaps a village that you created to launch your campaign? Why not share your creation with the OP community. In turn you might find some interesting elements in someone else's campaign that you want to use for your own. This thread could be used as a campaign resource wherein those participating would post one or two of what they consider to be the best elements of their campaign.
So here's how I propose that this project be carried out:
* _First:_ While I hope that people will submit their best work, please try to avoid spamming. Keep your entries brief. Perhaps give a couple of sentences, or up to a paragraph of explanation related to the NPC, Villain, Tavern, Village or what have you that succinctly describes that element.
* _Second:_ Post a link to the page where others can read more about that element if they so choose.
* _Third:_ If you use some one else's material, you should leave them a comment here or at their site, or perhaps send them a private message letting them know about it. We all appreciate being recognized for our work
Also, it should go without saying that if you submit material that you have created to this thread, you are thereby implicitly giving others permission to use your work in their own campaigns. That said, I have some ideas I feel are worth sharing, but before I do so, I want to know if there is actually any interest in this project? So, what do you all think about this proposal?
That being said, I dunno what I can contribute. Much of the game world I use is prepublished, or variations thereof. However I fully support anyone taking anything they need or want from my campaign. Especially Shadowrun campaigns, I'd love to see NPCs or locations making appearances in other people's campaigns. Especially those that are set a few years later, it might even help me describe how things change over time.
I've actually already left notes on a few people's comment pages saying just this, but it of course applies to everybody.
I had some help with a few of the ideas for these, but most of these I wrote myself (acknowledgments on the page, with the prestige points being written by arsheesh).
"The Old Gods":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/wikis/religion
If you're looking for a different pantheon, or an idea of how to setup your own, I have my own setup of 16 deities that I've used in the past (The holy symbols are from some old school Forgotten Realms stuff, I think).
This is a work in progress, but some of the countries are done (Algur, Barithani, Cormand, and Arria so far) with cities, a few landmarks, and a very small bit of culture information. If you need a ready made country to throw into your game, these could work.
"My World Map":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/maps/show/8583
Last but certainly not least, my world map. All I ask, if anyone uses it is that they clearly identify that I created it, and link back to my page, as I invested more time and work into it than any one other thing. Also, I can provide a much larger version so that you can actually read everything on it. If someone wants just a cutout of one of the countries to go along with one of the entries, I can provide that too.
Alright, just wanted to share a couple campaigns elements of my own:
* *City:* "Glindell":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/age-of-legends/wikis/glindell is a small gnomish city tucked away in midst of vast northern forest rife with adventure. Glindell is impossibly wealthy for so small and remote a city, yet it's political regimes change about as regularly as fashions in clothing. The Gnomes of this city are incredibly proficient in all areas of craft and learning, and specialize in all sorts of technical and enchanted eccentricities. In fact there is a saying in the Northern lands, "If you can't find what you are looking for in Glindell, then what you are looking for can't be found."
p. * *Business:* In the market for some new adventuring gear? "The Outbacker":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/tales-of-darkmoon-vale/wikis/the-outbacker is your local source for all your adventuring needs. Currently unemployed and looking to pick up some bounties? We got'cha covered, just pay a visit to our employment message board.
If for some reason you DO want to use the 10th Age as a setting, and there isn't information on something you need, let me know and I'll focus on that! My players are pretty ambivalent about what gets fleshed out next.
Idabrius, if I were bran new to the Portal and hadn't already invested so much in my own campaign world, I might have taken you up on this offer.
Ok, so here are an Inn and it's proprietress that I am particularly fond of and would like to make available to everyone:
* *Inn:* If you are seeking companionship for the night, or simply need a place with private booths to meet that secretive contact of yours at, then you ought to pay a visit to "The Falcon's Nest":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/age-of-legends/wikis/the-falcons-nest. Whether rich or poor, popper or prince, many clientele frequent this Inn of ill-repute, which has become nearly as notorious as it's mysterious proprietress.
p. * *NPC:* There are few individuals within the city as notorious and as elegant as the "Lady Illendra":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/age-of-legends/characters/62531. A former member of the nobility, Illendra was cast out of high society for reasons which remain the subject of intense rumor and speculation. Notwithstanding this, Illendra has emerged as one of the most prominent business owners of the city. She is a woman veiled in mystery, yet her presence and influence within the city are undeniable.
As one might expect, there are campaign specific details written into the background of these entries, but feel free to replace these with your own campaign specific details.
Virtue and the Void, Invincible, Death's Fang, and the Rod of Armageddon.
"Click here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/melekar/wikis/items-of-legend for the page.
I like how it's coming so far.
(Just to spite him I linked the page on Facebook and chose it as the thumbnail)
"The Song of Corellon":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/in-vitro/wikis/the-song-of-corellon - the Feywild is a series of "bubble worlds" contiguous to Vidria, and they were created by Corellon's singing. Where Vidria is tangent to a bubble of Feywild, you can sometimes hear music. If you can hear the music, singing it back can allow you to shift from one plane to the other.