Internal Server Error

TroyAlford
TroyAlford
edited December 2007 in Bug Reports

Comments

• TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    Several times tonight I have gotten "Internal Server Error" in response to an update - either of an item or an NPC. I have not yet been able to track down the common denominator in the errors, but it is quite frustrating, once you've written a good 8 paragraphs of copy. :P
  • Micah
    Micah
    Terribly sorry about that. I know you're new here, so ask anyone else and they'll tell you that the site is usually rock solid. For some reason one of our services crashed and it brought down everything that depended on it. We're not exactly sure what it was, but this is a very rare thing.

Again, many apologies...
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    I basically keep a holding pattern around the site like some sort of incredibly bored bird of prey, and I can attest that things like this basically never happen- and on the odd chance that they do, they tend to recover quickly.
  • Micah
    Micah
    Grrrr! Looks like we haven't stomped this bug yet. I'll see what I can find out...
  • Micah
    Micah
    Ok, I think it's fixed now. I'll check again in the morning. Sorry again for any problems.
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    I've seen no further problems. It was very flaky last night for about 30 minutes, but I have had no trouble at all today. :)
  • outrider
    outrider
    hi micah:

today I was updating the adventure log and was saving it. The savings function took a long time and it gave me internal server error but everything took. I believe that we have IE6 here at work. The saving function has been taking a long time for the last week or so. I have been using both IE and mozalla as I input from different computers.
  • Micah
    Micah
    It doesn't seem to be browser specific. There are just certain updates that take a very, very long time, and I'm not sure why. In my gut, I think it's partly due to the full-text indexing that we're doing. We use a tool called Solr to make it easy (easier...) to search for things. However, updating the data every time a page is saved is causing many of the timeout errors.

When I get a chance, I'll move the text indexing to a background process, which will make everything more responsive. It's just a little harder to handle on the back-end.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    I'm having some pretty severe issues with this today. I'm getting internal server errors pretty much any time I edit a page, and large portions of the site aren't loading at all, particularly campaign sites. Front page, forum, and account info load fine, but anything else basically sits there until it times out.
  • Micah
    Micah
    We've optimized a lot of stuff on wiki / blog edits. I have been watching the server logs pretty religiously today, and I haven't seen any errors. Hopefully all the timeouts are fixed.

Sorry for anyone who got frustrated and wanted to kick in the screen. I know how that is :(
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    I'm getting the ISE when I try to upload a picture to an NPC.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer
    I'm getting ISE with pictures, too.
  • drakemaw
    drakemaw
    I'm also getting ISE when attempting to upload images to either the maps section or a bio pic. Got the same errorwith both Firefox 2.0.0.11 and IE 7.0.5730.11.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    The same thing is happening to me when I try to upload NPC portraits. It's also logging me out, if that helps any.
  • Micah
    Micah
    This should be fixed. We've juggled some of the image uploading to try to make the server faster, but this made the image uploading more unstable. Hopefully it's fixed now...

Thanks for the bug reports!