Campaign-Specific Items

TroyAlford
TroyAlford
edited December 2007 in Feature Requests

Comments

• TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    I am running into a problem as I put my game into the system. I have a player who has offered to take the reigns and input most of our items, locations, etc into our wiki - but unfortunately, any items he creates, I (the GM) can't seem to edit! If there is something I am missing, I'd be glad to know the secret - but it seems strange to me also that I can't see a list of Items when I look at my Campaign.

I would love to see a campaign-specific list of items which I could use, allow my players to create/assign to the campaign, and then be edited (like a character) by the GM.

I would also love to see a list of campaign-specific items listed under the campaign itself.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    One option you could use is to create campaign specific items in the Party Wiki, which should allow you to do everything you seem to be interested in doing.

As far as I can glean, you can't edit an item because an item's entry exists as something outside the context of a campaign. While being able to assign an item to a campaign would be interesting, I think it would also cause some complications for using the items tracker as it is presented now. But like I said, if you want an item to be uniquely assigned to your campaign, you can always use the Party Wiki, as it is a pretty flexible little tool.
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    Yes - that's something I hadn't thought of at first. That would solve most problems. The only downside is that it would prevent me from adding a graphic to the item? Or is there a way to associate a graphic with a wiki article somehow?
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    I believe you can add images to any type of page, it just wouldn't necessarily with the same simplicity you could upload a photo to an official item. Check out the textile syntax help link at the side of the page the next time you are making or editing an entry. There are all sorts of quick tips on using textile to do all sorts of things, including posting images. :)
  • Micah
    Micah
    One feature we want to add is a treasure-tracker, similar to the NPC tracker. The main reason we haven't gotten to it (besides lack of time) is that many games aren't as much of a kill-loot-repeat cycle as classic D&D (which I love, btw). So, we've focused more on the characters and blogs than the items, in order to make it more inclusive.

Right now, items are only editable by the user who creates them, and there's no way to associate them with a campaign.

There is also no way to upload images to the wiki, but you can link to external images (like on a flickr account, for example) using Textile. I think you just surround the url with exclamation points. We'd like to add a generic image store and such, but since there are so many other sites that do it (and probably better...), it's low on the list.
  • TroyAlford
    TroyAlford
    A great solution I have found is to create an Item entry, and associate the picture with it. This allows you to create a description and such as well. Then - on the item's display page, find the URL of the image you want - and you can use that as the Hyperlink to the Item on other pages... As an example:

!http://www.obsidianportal.com/uploads/images/2355/TA-logo.jpg?1196722890!:http://www.obsidianportal.com/game_contents/show/ta--logo

And please don't misunderstand. :) I *much* prefer the blogging and wiki portions of the site to work rather than loot-tracking. My issue is more that I already have pieces of standard loot which my players get, and I would like to be able to track GM-side information that they can't see, but allow them to have a :link to the item for their character page, so that they can keep a running track of their inventory, complete with crossreferenced URL to the items themselves.