Runestone

Comments

• drubixcube
    drubixcube
    i'd love for some folks to scoot over to http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/runestone and check out our campaign, Runestone. i'm not sure it's featured campaign material, but i'd love to hear some suggestions for how we could bring it up to that level.

incidentally, there is a bunch of original artwork coming ... short of that: what do you think?
  • drubixcube
    drubixcube
    making a big push this week to fix links and have pictures up for the main articles - this is me officially asking to be considered for featured campaign.
  • onsilius
    onsilius
    Looks good. I'd make a few spelling, grammatical checks like the Ustjubai appearing on a map as Utsjubai. Other than that it has what I like to see, creative artwork, an explanation of the campaign, and contribution by the party.

I'll try to keep this constructive. As a DM the first thing I notice about your world is its size. All credit to you for your work in creating the world. I know from experience how much effort that takes. So that said for my tastes (and judging from your world map) it looks small. Is there more we aren't seeing? I'm also curious if it's flat or a planet or what the overall cosmology of the world is beyond just the empires and countries. I like your style of campaign: character driven story and development. Running the same style on mine ( "Minrothad":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/minrothad ), I find it easier to develop more long term options for development with a much larger world. My setting is not scratch though so again I know how much work that would be for you.

My other comment is Facing. This is something I try to keep in mind as I create functionality for and develop my own site. Is what I'm doing for visitors? Or is what I'm doing for players? Not to say yours is not helpful to your players by any means, but I would say yours leans towards visitor facing. Your wiki and home read like an exposition. On one hand that's great, because that's definitely a requirement for any good site. On the other it's not a format that makes it easy for players to use like a reference book or index. I try to accomodate both by using Home as a brief intro and then wiki-main as an index for player reference with an Intro section at the top for more of that kind of exposition.

Hope that constructively helps. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to review mine, too. :)

Thanks!

DM Fred
  • drubixcube
    drubixcube
    First and foremost - thanks for the criticism. I'm going to push back a bit, but thanks for taking the time to write up some notes.

regarding: world size. The world is larger than the map shows. There is at least one other significant nation - Quamiln - to the far West of the Empire. There is also mention in the Empire of Solgard entry that the Regarian peoples (Imperials) came from a far-off western land, fleeing disaster. That having been said, the world was kept intentionally small. the events of this game center around the Empire, Zh
  • onsilius
    onsilius
    Well that makes more sense and is good to hear about other lands. That keeps options for the future open. If you get a chance to review Minrothad, you can post your input on my "review thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1143&page=1#Item_1 or even msg me. Thanks!

DM Fred
    Post edited by onsilius on
  • drubixcube
    drubixcube
    posting this here as an FYI -

I'm going to India for the next 100 days so updates to the Runestone site have been, and will continue to be, non-existent for the next 3 months. i'll still be checking in from time to time to keep up with my favorite campaigns but the Runestone site won't see much change. When I return, expect big updates and another push for that featured campaign slot!
    Post edited by drubixcube on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I'd just like to add my vote for Runestone as a featured campaign. I visited the site a few months ago while desperately trying to avoid homework and found myself captivated by the campaign. It is well thought out, story and character driven, and well worth the read for anyone who goes in for this style of gaming. Kudos Drubixcube.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh