Really good simple Virtual Tabletop Tool

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf

I'd like to recommend a VTT tool that our group discovered recently.

Owlbear Rodeo is a simple but very effective tool that is stored in your browser and is very simple to use.  It has character tokens and basic maps but is very easy to introduce new tokens and maps.  It has a dice rolling tray and a very good Fog of War effect.

This recommendation is for those of you who are genuine tabletop players that have been limited by Covid Lockdown or for anyone that needs to play online that has not hitherto done so.

The tool is not as encompassing as Roll20 or other such tools, but for those of you who want to keep it simple, I can say that our group has tried it out a couple of times, and we really love it.

You can find the game at owlbear.rodeo and it is a free tool with options to donate via PayPal or Patreon.  Honestly, it is simple and very effective.  I have included a link to a short tutorial below, in case anybody wants to try it out.

*OWLBEAR RODEO TUTORIAL*

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• Jynx001
    Jynx001

I wholeheartedly second this recommendation. It's a very user-friendly tool. You don't have to download anything, you just send a link to your players, they go in and rename themselves, and can grab a token to move around on the map. It has all the basic features you need -- laser pointer, drawing tools, and multiple colored rings you can put around your tokens to indicate status effects and spells. Fast and easy.

• weasel0
    weasel0

Just a FYI, because it is hosted in your browser, you must use the same computer and browser every time or set up everything brand new every time. It is not a "cloud" application so cannot be accessed if you are away from your computer/browser combo.

Its a good system I've looked into using myself, just wanted to highlight that fact for people who may not catch the nuanced difference.

(I have a Mac and a Win -I use all of the big three browsers on my Mac, and two on the win box- in addition to phone and tablet. So this distinction is important.) The host setup can't change or you don't have it. Also, clearing cache/temp files and/or maybe cookies? will clear whatever you've setup.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I absolutely love owlbear and have the link to it on my main game:

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I am bumping this so more people notice it, as it is such a brilliant FREE tool!

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Magnificent tool, been using it a lot lately, but I am for some reason confused about how the Fog of War functions. The walkthroughs I've found are all for an ealier version. (Not very used to VTT's and trying to get more so. I'm a Theater of the Mind GM. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!