D&D Movie Review

Keryth987
Keryth987

I just saw the movie. Special Amazon Prime Early viewing. And i will say...THIS is the D&D Movie we all wanted. The story is good, and fast paced. The characters are great - and very much D&D PCs both in how they act and in class. Special effects awesome, performances grat too. And the Forgotten Realms truly comes to life. Oh, and it was awesome seeing the kids from the cartoon. ANY gamer needs to see this on the big screen

Comments

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

Ugh, I was so worried about this, haha! Excellent. Thank you for sharing your review with us! 

Obsidian Portal Support Druid | [email protected]

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

The trailer looks pretty good, so it is good to hear your review on top of that, @Keryth987.  

I look forward to seeing it at the cinema probably next weekend.

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Omegabase
    Omegabase

Agreed, definitely the best D&D show/movie so far.  Worth seeing at the theater.  Hope it does well enough to justify more productions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanearth

Gammaworld 2754

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I liked the D&D movie, even although I was still slightly disappointed.  However, it is good family entertainment, even if it does not match my expectations.   Chris Pine and Michelle Rodgriguez were both excellent and I really liked the Paladin played by Rege-Jean Page.  I was also impressed by the way they presented the "Hither and Thither" spell.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Cutious but what disappointed you Twiggy?

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

@Keryth, I think I just "psyched myself up for it" too much.  I had heard good things, and just expected better.  I still enjoyed it thoroughly but I was expecting it to be funnier, and I think I also prefer a slightly more serious take on FANTASY.  My disappointment was only slight, and I think it was mainly based on me hoping for a sort of "Lord of The Rings Movie" kind of feel.

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

C'mon Twiggy. Its a D&D movie, and no matter how hard we GM's try, almost every D&D campaign is more Monty Python and Army of darkness than Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

LOL, @Keryth987.  I agree totally.  However, even so, that is why I was somewhat disappointed.  But, as I also implied, I still enjoyed the show immensely.  smiley

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

I saw the movie twice in the theater - I also jumped on the Amazon chance to see it early, and I went with my extended family on opening weekend to see it again so I could share the fun with them.

THIS was the D&D movie I wanted 23 years ago when I drove 40 miles each way through a blizzard on opening night. I was very, VERY happy with the new movie. I haven't purchased a hardcopy movie in years, but I'll be buying this one. It needs to be on my shelf.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

While I was running games at Gary Con most of the surviving old school TSR folks went to the opening. When the guys from the 70s who wrote the original game and advantures come back raving about it you know you're on to something! 

Finally saw it myself, and I have to say I loved it. 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!