Adventure Log with Multi-line subtitles

tomwrussell
tomwrussell

Hi, everyone.

I'm looking ofr a way to add subtitles to my adventure log entries that have more than one line.  For example:

Title:
Session 13: Here We Go Again

Subtitle:
In world date: 23 Harvest, year 453

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

Where do you want these subtitles to appear, on the page for the corresponding Adventure Log, on the list of Adventure Log pages, or both?

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

Well, I found a way to do it for both, though it's akin to opening a window with a hammer.

Step 1: add the following bit of code to your CSS

/* Adventure Log Subtitles */
    /* Allows White-Space Wrapping to Preserve Spaces */
    .adventure-log-index .adventure-log-post-subtitle, .adventure-log-show .adventure-log-post-subtitle {white-space: pre-wrap;}

Step Two: on the adventure log post add your subtitle text on a single line as follows

In world date: 23 Harvest, year 453 (then roughly 140 spaces or so, depends on the width of your subtitle content) Location: City of Light

That's the easiest way to do it that I'm aware of but has the drawback of adding a line break between the title and subtitle sections, and really looks awful if you have the social buttons enabled. A possibly more elegant but MUCH more labor intensive version is to hunt down the div.nth-child info for each one and to append the text that way, but that requires more work in the beginning to get the formatting for each adventure log post and the adventure log list to accommodate text that the formatting can't actually touch, then when each adventure log post is created to add a new CSS entry to append the second line of text individually. Personally this option is way too much work to be worth the hassle in my opinion.

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Abersade
    Abersade

Ends up looking like this in the list for reference:

And like this in the page:

GM of Stream of Kairos

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Could I suggest a much easier solution? - instead of trying to use code you could use the Post subtitle for the date and Tags for location - setting it up like the below:

This will give you this > https://themaintimeline.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/session-13-here-we-go-again

The only trick is knowing how to make tags with spaces - this is easy! Just write the text and at the end press TAB. This will convert it into a tag that will 'auto-complete' next time you use it.

The Location: City of Light tag can then be used both to collate all adventure log posts set in the same place.

It also makes it possible for you to tag items, characters and wiki pages to show that they all are part of the same location.

For example my adventure log uses Tags to note the Location, Session, Player Characters who attended the session and any key NPCs. These tags turn them into a 'wiki' like structure.

This free's up your title/subtitle text to be more 'fun' and helps you keep track of everything :)

You can even apply CSS to the tags - eg. you'll see in my adventure log that each player character is highlighted in a different colors to make it easy to tell who is who.

- just be warned that clicking on 'Castle Ravenloft' on my campaign may contain spoilers to 'Curse of Strahd.

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023!