Remove the double main page

Keryth987
Keryth987
edited October 2022 in Feature Requests

Why on Earth are TWO main pages? And they don't even always edit properly. Save changes to one and the second doesn't always update and vice versa

Post edited by thaen on

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

While I've never noticed an issue with changes not showing up on both (at least that I recall) I have always found this to be an odd peculiarity.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, @Abersade,

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing ...

There's the "Front Page" ... this is the landing page for the Campaign, and has the Campaign Members, Last Updated, Play Status, Fans, and Stream.  This is also linked from the side navigation from the "Front Page" menu item.

There's the "Home Page" ... this is used as the text content of the "Front Page", and can also be seen as a stand alone Wiki Page from the "See All Pages" button.

There's the "Main Page" ... this is the "top" page of the Wiki that the "Wiki" menu item links to.

Which of these are we talking about?

I can't comment on why it was setup this way initially, since I wasn't around, but if we were going to make changes here, it might be to remove the "Home Page" from the "See All Pages" button, and to change the name of the Edit "Home Page" to be "Front Page", and when the "Home Page"/"Front Page" is Edited and then Saved ... it would drop you on the "Front Page" instead of on the Wiki "Home Page".

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Abersade
    Abersade

Front and Home

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

@Thaen

For example

https://arisingdarkness.obsidianportal.com/

and

https://arisingdarkness.obsidianportal.com/wikis/home-page

Both same page.. yet not same page.

Its confusing, makes no sense, and can be annoying when editing the Front page to have it save and then open the other page

and while we are at ti...why does opening a site you are the GM go to the useless Dashboard isntead of the front page? I dont know about everyone else, but the Dashboard is useless to em, honestly and annoying as well

• thaen
    thaen

Cool, sounds like we're on the same ... page : ) ... regarding the Home/Front page.  I'll add that to the list.

I don't like to clutter up the UI with lots of preferences, but I've heard this particular one before about not wanting to be dropped on the Dashboard.  We maybe could add a preference on the member's Profile under or above the "Choose Active Campaign" that would enable the member to choose where they were dropped when visiting their own Campaigns.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Why do we have to choose an active campaign anyhow? I'm always blanking it out so I can get to my profile easier

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I have never really been a fan of the Dashboard, but when I enter the site, I think I usually just choose "FRONT PAGE" on the navigation bar to the left.  I have to admit, I have never really noticed there being two front pages - FRONT and HOME, but now that I know it, it seems unnecessary to have two.

smiley

Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

Why do we have to choose an active campaign anyhow? I'm always blanking it out so I can get to my profile easier

@Keryth987, it sounds like you're using OP differently than the vast majority of the members ... so there will be small things like this that don't completely match your preference.

Most members only have one active Campaign at a time, and it's usually the most recent Campaign that they created.  To make things easy for the majority of members, when a member creates a new Campaign, the system sets that Campaign as their Active Campaign, so that when they visit OP, they'll be taken to where they are most likely wanting to go ... their one active Campaign.

You can Edit your Profile and change the "Choose Active Campaign" to the "blank" option and Save, so you don't have an Active Campaign.  That will drop you on your Profile when you go to "obsidianportal.com".  As above, when you create a new Campaign, it will set the "Active Campaign" to that new Campaign, so you'll need to blank it out again each time you create a new Campaign.

Let me know if this doesn't fix the issue you're having.

Post edited by thaen on

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Oh thats what i've been doing. It just gets annoying sometimes is all.

• R_Panda
    R_Panda

Adding my voice to this suggestion. Two main pages is annoying to work with.

• thaen
    thaen

@Keryth987, @Abersade, @twiggyleaf, @R_Panda

Just pushed some changes for this in the past couple days.

The "Front Page" is now just called "Home Page" and it's always the home page for the Campaign ... a visitor can't get to the "wiki" version of the Home Page anymore.  So, there aren't "2" now.

Also, if you have a preference for where you like to land when you come to OP, you can now choose Dashboard (the default), Home Page (twiggyleaf!), or Profile (Keryth987!).

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Awesome changes Thaen

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Wow, nice work! - I had no idea you can swap your current campaign in settings and I also gave up on the Dashboard and hid it from all users - so flipping to homepage was a awesome improvement.

I think if OP wants people to use the Dashboard it really needs the code to be cleaned up so that people can apply CSS to it?... right now each 'section' of the dashboard uses totally different css code.. so it's a real headache to work with.

Post edited by ElMuggs on

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Wow, this is a great improvement!!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member