A Question about Fighters and Domains in 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

marshalljames1
edited February 2022 in General Discussion

In 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons the rules for Fighters specifically state that A Fighter can't found A Domain before 9th level. Also I've spotted and a corrected a few mistakes I made in the original post

But the rules don't say that A Character, meaning they don't have to be A Fighter, can't earn rulership of A Domain before 9th level and their are several adventures, were made by fans, were A Character can earn rulership of A Domain before, sometimes well before, 9th level

I will say that slightly over half, I estimate between just over 51% and just under 52%, of all adventures were A Character can earn rulership A Domain don't actually state that rulership of A Domain is the reward but because of what happens during the adventure any reasonable GM would consider being granted rulership A Domain a reasonable, often very reasonable, reward were adventures that fans made

I will say that 8 of the 10 best, in my opinion, adventures were A Character can earn A Domain also don't actually state that rulership of A Domain is the reward but because of what happens during the adventure any reasonable GM would consider being granted rulership A Domain a reasonable, often very reasonable, reward were adventures that fans made

So what do you think?, even though the rules for Fighters specifically state that A Fighter can't found A Domain before 9th level theirs no rules that say that A Character, meaning they don't have to be A Fighter, can't earn rulership of A Domain before 9th level, what's your interpretation?

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Maybe it's the difference between "found" and "earn rulership of".  Maybe the Fighter needs to be 9th level to have the reknown to actually found the domain, as in bring forth from nothing, and have people follow the Character when there is nothing else there.  But after the domain already exists, then it's just a matter of keeping things going, and that's a much lower bar.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1

Thanks

I've had a thought. What are your thoughts?

The rules say that Fighters are the only Class that can found a domain but theirs no rule saying that only Fighters can earn A Domain

As a example their was A 1st edition DAD Scenario were the characters get send to rescue A Kings oldest daughter

If she is returned both alive and unharmed then the male character with the highest Ch gets to marry her and when his father-in-law dies he become King

Even though The Pc will be king the scenario doesn't say if its The Pc or his wife that will be calling the shots

I will point out that even if The Pc does end up calling the shots his father-in-law is still fairly young, which means that by the time The Pcs father in law dies its very likely that The Pc will have retired

That means he gets A Kingdom, not just(?) A Domain and if I'm right then the odds are that the male character with the highest Ch isn't A Fighter

• thaen
    thaen

Yeah, it sounds like the PC-who-would-be-king-someday probably isn't also a Fighter ... and the game doesn't have a problem with that.  : )

Obsidian Portal Developer