Zyathe

KuboTwo
KuboTwo

Does anyone know of a 5E campaign set in the world of Zyathe (I.e. Gooey Cube's game world)?  I'd like to read how such a campaign unfolds and how well it has been received by players.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

I did a quick search and didn't find any mention of "Zyathe", so if someone is running a Campaign in that world, they didn't mention the name of the world in their Campaign.  smiley

Obsidian Portal Developer

• KuboTwo
    KuboTwo

Thanks, Thean.  I obviously couldn't find one either. Zyathe is a deeply rich campaign world with a ton of supporting materials and it's still evolving. I wondered if DM/GMs would get overwhelmed by all the content or iembrace it like Greyhawk etc. I think players would gravitate to it like birds to a bird feeder.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I never heard of it, but just looking at the Zyathe website,it looks quite rich.

whether DM's go for it depends on the DM really. Either your are a worldbuilder in which case no, or you want a set world to base your stories in, in which case this could be interesting. I am not sure what really sets it apart form Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms/etc though. I mean even besides history, geology and cosmology is there really that much difference between Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms? not as much as between say, Ebrerron and Theros.

It does remind me of third party campaign settings of 3rd edition like Kingdoms of Kalamar. It was popular enough at the time

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• weasel0
    weasel0

Hackmaster is still set in the Kingdoms of Kalarmar. 

But if it's different you want, I feel Dark Sun has never gotten enough love. 

Post edited by weasel0 on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Ooh, Dark Sun. Good stuff that.

When I want different I tend to go the homebrew route.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• thaen
    thaen

Totally agree on Dark Sun not getting enough love.  Some of the novels in that setting were pretty good.

Anyone ever heard of the Red Steel setting (AD&D 2nd Edition)?  It was a boxed set setting with this special metal ... red steel, obviously.  If I'm remembering right, the metal caused those that were around it for extended periods to develop mutations and powers.  But if gun powder exploded/fired near the metal, then the mutation effect would happen in an accelerated way.  I think the setting had kind of a pirate or coast / high seas feel?  I owned it at one point, but I sadly never actually got to play it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Steel_(boxed_set)

Post edited by thaen on

Obsidian Portal Developer

• KuboTwo
    KuboTwo

Agree that Dark Sun set too soon.  sad But it is like Red Steel for me, know about it but never played it. Perhaps it was because I was developing my own desert world at the time Dark Sun came out. Red Steel sounds cool, but I found that players don't like becoming mutated mid-game too much unless it's clearly telegraphed (they have to know the inherent danger of red steel).  

So what distinguishes Zyathe from other game worlds? I guess the main differences might be in the presentation (coolest maps and art) and the details that make the game world come alive. So I was interested in reading the actual experience of other DMing/playing in the world. I expect it will become more popular over time.

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Sorry, never even heard of Zyathe, so I cant be much help

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

I never heard of Zyathe either, @KuboTwo.  I hope you find a game within Obsidian Portal that you can join though.  You could also use the site to start your own campaign, and then use this FORUM to invite interested players.  

cool

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

A friend of mine went all in on the Gooey Cube setting. He showed me a couple of the books from the campaign he was prepping; it's gorgeous, no question. Lots and lots of high-quality artwork, fully cross-referenced adventure, creature, NPC and setting info, and they spent a crapload of time getting all the little details right.

Because of all the physical props/handouts, I don't know if it'd translate well to an online campaign without a lot of extra work. But it definitely looks badass.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith